Rendering CPU question.

How do more threads help with rendering?

Say I'm running an R9 290X using OpenCL in Vegas, does the extra four threads on an i7 significantly help with OpenCL performance?

Which makes the biggest impact for rendering? GPU or CPU?

How do more threads help with rendering?

Say I'm running an R9 290X using OpenCL in Vegas, does the extra four threads on an i7 significantly help with OpenCL performance?

Which makes the biggest impact for rendering? GPU or CPU?

When I switched from the 1045t to my current 4670k, the rendering increased incredibly, even using OpenCL rendering along with it.

As far as going from your CPU (?) to an i7, I don't know for certain.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

When I switched from the 1045t to my current 4670k, the rendering increased incredibly, even using OpenCL rendering along with it.

It's a debate of going for an i5 or an i7 for rendering on a tight budget while still being able to game. Do you know where I can find some solid information on the performance differences between the two with rendering?

It's a debate of going for an i5 or an i7 for rendering on a tight budget while still being able to game. Do you know where I can find some solid information on the performance differences between the two with rendering?

I've always wondered this too....

People always recommend FX 83xx processors for people that want to edit and render, but how much better is it really for rendering over a 4690K?

System: Thinkpad T460

I've always wondered this too....

People always recommend FX 83xx processors for people that want to edit and render, but how much better is it really for rendering over a 4690K?

Not very. Gap between 4690K and FX-8350 for rendering is very small... when the 8350 came out and it was being compared to 2500K and 3570K the gap was a bit larger. Now it's small enough that it's really not worth sacrificing the single-threaded performance of an i5 to get the small increase to rendering performance.

Anyways, if you're on a tight budget just get the i5. Unless you don't plan to overclock, in which case get a Xeon.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

The 4 threads help a lot.

blender.png

aftereffects.png

rendering with CPUs is more cost effective than GPUs based on performance per dollar

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not very. Gap between 4690K and FX-8350 for rendering is very small... when the 8350 came out and it was being compared to 2500K and 3570K the gap was a bit larger. Now it's small enough that it's really not worth sacrificing the single-threaded performance of an i5 to get the small increase to rendering performance.

Anyways, if you're on a tight budget just get the i5. Unless you don't plan to overclock, in which case get a Xeon.

Given there's only about $500 left in the budget for a cpu, ram, and cpu it might be either uber cheap Xeon or going with the i5.

The 4 threads help a lot.

rendering with CPUs is more cost effective than GPUs based on performance per dollar

Though the difference in that test is not a great margin honestly.

Yep. A e3 1231 is great for the 4690k budget range.

System: Thinkpad T460

Though the difference in that test is not a great margin honestly.

but a xeon the same price as an i5 will perform better

how much better depends on the program, but it will be better for sure

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There was a 1045T? O.o

"Rawr XD"

but a xeon the same price as an i5 will perform better

how much better depends on the program, but it will be better for sure

I 100% agree.

:D

G E E K A Z O I D

Approves of This Post

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

There was a 1045T? O.o

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. LOL

Edit: Found it —> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106012

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Just under budget at the moment but here's where my friend's build is sitting at for rendering:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8xfCkL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8xfCkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($241.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: PNY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($59.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.98 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.75 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.75 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($241.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Xigmatek Aquila MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $993.40

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 22:59 EDT-0400

Just under budget at the moment but here's where my friend's build is sitting at for rendering:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8xfCkL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8xfCkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($241.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 87.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: PNY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($59.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.98 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($241.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Xigmatek Aquila MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $993.40

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 22:59 EDT-0400

Didnt u say u had a 290x? run both the 290x and 280x (or what ever new gpu u get) and youll get much better open CL performance fhan any money u can spend on a cpu. 

ie 290x +280x > 280x + xeon 1231v3

Didnt u say u had a 290x? run both the 290x and 280x (or what ever new gpu u get) and youll get much better open CL performance fhan any money u can spend on a cpu. 

ie 290x +280x > 280x + xeon 1231v3

No I did not.

No I did not.

ohh sorry i missed the work "say" xD