Is adding my GTX 460 as a PhysX card a good idea?

JTMarch86

I recently upgraded to an ASUS GTX 660 Ti, which is doing great for my 1080p gaming, but I was considering throwing in my older ASUS GTX 460 in to take care of the PhysX part.

I know that you can't use much older cards because the single newer card will do better on it's own (older card bottleneck's the newer one), but I've heard the GTX 460 isn't so old that it could actually improve it.

Have any of you tried this?

I'm not worried about the heat or power issues, I have good cooling and a AX860i, I'm just wondering about pure performance.

Thanks

Intel i7 8700k @ 5.3GHz - Asus Maximus X Hero - 16GB Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - Viotek 27" 1440p 144hz curved- Corsair AX860i - CM H500M - Custom watercooling loop (BlackIce GT 360mm w/ Corsair SP120s in pull) - Swiftech MCP35X Pump - XSPC WaterBlock - Intel 760p 512gb nvme m.2 + [2x] 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (RAID0) + 512GB Samsung 840 pro + (2) 2TB WD Black + 1TB WD Black + 1TB SCSI WD External for Plex Media Server storage - CM QuickFire TK w/ Cherry MX Blues - Roccat Tyon - VModa Crossfade LP - Klipsche ProMedia 2.1's pushed with a FiiO Andes F07K DAC

I recently upgraded to an ASUS GTX 660 Ti, which is doing great for my 1080p gaming, but I was considering throwing in my older ASUS GTX 460 in to take care of the PhysX part.

I know that you can't use much older cards because the single newer card will do better on it's own (older card bottleneck's the newer one), but I've heard the GTX 460 isn't so old that it could actually improve it.

I'm not worried about the heat or power issues, I have good cooling and a AX860i, I'm just wondering about pure performance.

Thanks

typically a dedicated physx card makes no difference, i actually benchmarked it and so has linus, however i would say toss it in anyway as it could assist a mid range card such as the 660 ti

typically a dedicated physx card makes no difference, i actually benchmarked it and so has linus, however i would say toss it in anyway as it could assist a mid range card such as the 660 ti

Yea, I saw his video on it, and it seemed that the GTX 460 would be just about the right amount of added performance to help, instead of hurt it.

Intel i7 8700k @ 5.3GHz - Asus Maximus X Hero - 16GB Gskill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 - Viotek 27" 1440p 144hz curved- Corsair AX860i - CM H500M - Custom watercooling loop (BlackIce GT 360mm w/ Corsair SP120s in pull) - Swiftech MCP35X Pump - XSPC WaterBlock - Intel 760p 512gb nvme m.2 + [2x] 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (RAID0) + 512GB Samsung 840 pro + (2) 2TB WD Black + 1TB WD Black + 1TB SCSI WD External for Plex Media Server storage - CM QuickFire TK w/ Cherry MX Blues - Roccat Tyon - VModa Crossfade LP - Klipsche ProMedia 2.1's pushed with a FiiO Andes F07K DAC

Yea, I saw his video on it, and it seemed that the GTX 460 would be just about the right amount of added performance to help, instead of hurt it.

yeah it may not make any difference it may just take some load off your 660 ti but doubtful youll gain many if any frames from it, i tested a 650 ti boost with my 690 when i did it lol

Thanks

Ive heard from people that having a dedicated physx card might not make a difference... 

But i guess it will not hurt if you already have it, so you should try it and tell us if it went well. 

I have a GTX 760 and im wondering if i can set up a dedicated physx card with my old Geforce 210...

My motherboard does not support SLI, and i have 2 PCI-E 2.0 slots, will it work? I have a 550W psu, but the 210 does not need power connecters. 

I know that the 210 is ancient, and might not make a difference at all, but ill try after you tell me whether its a good idea. (power issues, or any other problems that could brick my pc)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

a 210 could slow down the 760

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

a 210 could slow down the 760

it can do that? oh ok thanks a lot, i would have thought my gtx 760 was defective! :)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

One option is to sell it, save up money, buy something else.

I bet you could live with less Physx in games and more money in pocket :)

v1npswk.png

I linked this a few days ago also in a thread here, but its still valid for your case also :p

The scaling does differ per game though, i think batman arkham city scales abit better

There were a few threads regarding this topic. Basic conclusion was that generally speaking, newer cards are beast enough to handle Physx on their own. Generally speaking, adding a dedicated Physx card will increase power consumption, increase heat output, increase noise, and possibly decrease performance.

PC Specs

Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 32GB (8x4GB) | MSI GTX 980 +200MHz +200MHz | Corsair HX1050i PSU

Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Western Digital 2TB Green HDD | Corsair Carbide 500R Midtower | Random DVD Burner | Corsair H100 for CPU

There were a few threads regarding this topic. Basic conclusion was that generally speaking, newer cards are beast enough to handle Physx on their own. Generally speaking, adding a dedicated Physx card will increase power consumption, increase heat output, increase noise, and possibly decrease performance.

Thats true, but I have a brand new Corsair AX 860i power supply (totally overkill for what I'm currently running), mainly because I wanted good quality and room to upgrade. Since I'll be doing a custom loop soon. So power isn't an issue, noise.. both of my cards are EXTREMELY quiet, and very very cool. My 660 Ti doesn't even go passed 55 on synthetic benchmarks, not to mention real gaming. My 2500k is overclocked to 4.8ghz (can do 5.3ghz, got really lucky with this chip), and it never reaches 60C, idles at 28. So cooling isn't an issue, I've got great airflow in my case, power isn't an issue, and yes it could add some noise, but these cards are already very quiet and they never have to ramp up their fans very much.

The only thing I was wondering was if I would bottleneck my 660 Ti. As I know older cards can do this. But I don't think the 460 is that old, so I'm going to try it.

Do you guys have any suggestions for benchmarking? So I can really tell if it improved anything?

I don't have issues with PhysX now, I always run it on high in all my games, but I'd like to turn everything up to ultra (which I'm almost able to do at 1080p now).

Games like Batman AC I think would really benefit from this. But Is there any synthetic physx benchmark that I can run to see if adding the GTX 460 improved anything?

Thanks for the help guys

v1npswk.png

I linked this a few days ago also in a thread here, but its still valid for your case also :P

The scaling does differ per game though, i think batman arkham city scales abit better

According to these stats, it seems adding the physX card really helped in this situation. And I play a lot of Borderlands 2, so thank you for this. Do you know how they did this benchmark? Like is there a certain area in the game that relies heavily on PhysX calculations?

According to these stats, it seems adding the physX card really helped in this situation. And I play a lot of Borderlands 2, so thank you for this. Do you know how they did this benchmark? Like is there a certain area in the game that relies heavily on PhysX calculations?

Screenshot is taken from http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comptoir-hardware.com%2Farticles%2Fcartes-graphiques%2F19293-test-bilan-de-physx-en-2012.html

Also has benchmarks with batman arkham city,mafia II,metro 2033,(page 4 = borderlands 2),

This is the route they followed as far as i know for borderlands 2

Thanks for this man. I was looking for something just like this