HBO streaming service could launch in April for $15 per month, work on Apple TV

HBO's subscription streaming service will be called HBO Now and is expected to cost $15 per month, according to the International Business Times. The report says that HBO is targeting a launch for Now in early April, ahead of the start date for Game of Thrones. While Game of Thrones would be a great way for HBO to drive subscriptions to the new service, it'll have to be careful if it plans to do that: last year, HBO's online streaming option for cable subscribers, HBO Go, wouldn't work for many who were trying to watch during the premiere. That would be a very bad look for a new service, and the Times says that HBO doesn't plan on launching until it's satisfied that it can do so without issue.

Watch-HBO-Online.jpg

Apple is reportedly one of the partners that HBO could launch its new service with. According to the Times, Apple has been aggressive in its attempts to secure a place as one of HBO's launch partners. If a deal is made, Apple TV users would be able to access and stream HBO Now, potentially through a standalone app. Apple has been adding more and more channels to the Apple TV over the last couple years, and the addition of HBO's subscription streaming service would make its device all the more appealing. The Times notes that HBO's parent company wants to see this service be accessible on platforms like the Roku, Xbox, and PlayStation as well, but it's not clear if discussions are ongoing. Nonetheless, it seems likely that HBO would want to work with multiple major partners to get this service out there.

It's still not known what HBO's subscription streaming service will actually offer. Though many will hope for the same access that HBO Go receives — that is, all of HBO's original content and the movies it's currently playing — it's possible that won't be the case. HBO may want to position this service as something distinctly different from its cable service as a way to prevent subscribers from moving online. On the other hand, the $15 per month fee may mean that HBO is earning about as much regardless of how you subscribe. That price would make it tougher to compete with Netflix, but HBO hasn't exactly had trouble finding people willing to pay subscription fees that high in the past. With the even wider audience that this service will open it up to, HBO may not be that worried.

Source : http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/04/hbo-now-pricing/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

If it has a large catalog of content I would be willing to pay the $15. Might start watching GoT then :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Just in time for GoT 15 dollars is too much though.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Delete

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Its more than Netflix for less content, yes. 

But HBO has some of the best content that the industry has seen so if you need to binge watch a show, is 15 bucks a month for a few months of use too much to ask? 

I'd say 15 a month is going to them from me just so I can binge GoT and Band of Brothers

If it has a large catalog of content I would be willing to pay the $15. Might start watching GoT then :)

If the rumors are to believed it will be older content. But if it includes GoT and isn't Apple TV exclusive it will be a smashing success.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

If the rumors are to believed it will be older content. But if it includes GoT and isn't Apple TV exclusive it will be a smashing success.

GoT and last week tonight*

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

and last week tonight*

Love that show.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

does it include HBO on-demand content? I'm already paying for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sling TV. I don't know if I could justify adding $15 on top of that, I already have little time to watch stuff.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch