Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K 60Hz Widescreen LED Monitor - My review

Philips BDM4065UC 40" 4K 60Hz Widescreen LED Monitor
MO-022-PH_103499_600.jpg

1. OCUK next day (sat) delivery, nice and timely. Delivery company/man didn't damage the box this time and all is in good quality and working order [score 5/5]

2. Some assembly required to mount stand to L plate thing and then to monitor unit (very easy nothing complicated, it was harder getting the thing out of the box) [score 4/5]

3. It's weighs about 1/2 the weight of the Samsung 40" 1080p TV it's replacing if not less [score 5/5]

4. It comes with UK power lead (warning: this is quite short) [score 2/5]

5. It comes with a crazy short Display Port 1.2 cable (so unless your PC is no more than 2 or 3cm away from the monitor DP port then I suggest you buy a 5m DP1.2 cable like I did, just make sure it's a DP1.2 Cable or you wont get the resolution or refresh rate. AND make sure the monitor is set to DP1.2 and not DP1.1 which it is by default! [score 0/5]

6. Monitor at 30Hz is rubbish, not worth it at all, do not buy it if you haven't got a machine that can run this at 60hz (note make sure you have DP1.2 cable and monitor is set to DP1.2 or you wont get 60hz option, DEFAULT IS 1.1 Cable!

7. The stand has no movement, at all, but does the job however I've had to put some folded cardboard under the rear pads to correct the lean back tilt
[score 0/5]
 MO-022-PH_103501_600.jpg

8. Monitor at 4K is very nice, however I found the text a bit too small, and as windows font scaling is **** I opted to go for 1440p, so now I have a 1440p 40" and next to it a native 1440p 32". 1440p. I didn't expect to drop the screen resolution but for programming it's a big yes. I couldn't read 1/2 the menu items, property panels etc in most of the Adobe Creative Cloud applications at 4K and windows font scaling doesn't affect Adobe Applications due to them using their own GUI code. [score 5/5]
UPDATE: I'm back to running it at 4K, now that I am more awake and had a cup of tea the text has become much more readable, so I can see me running at 4k when i start work but when it comes to end of the day or really long hours I can see 1440p making an entrance. But it's nice to have that option at the very least now :) 
[score 7/5]

9. Monitor can switch between 4k, 1440p and 1080p with ease! 
I had trouble using my old Samsung 40" 1080p TV with some games as they would start up in a resolution which wasn't supported by the TV and thus they wouldn't run or screen would just go blank and say check input, this should stop all those issues! [score 5/5]

10. Picture quality is lovely, compared to the Samsung 1080p TV it's replacing it's worlds ahead [score 5/5]

And some screens for you all to check..

Coders delight - NOTE 1 of these apps usually fills a 1080p screen
1.jpg

2. Coders delight 2: NOTE 1 of these apps often fills or takes most of a 1080p screen up
2.jpg

3. 40" @ 4K vs 32" @ 1440p

3.jpg

5. How small things can get

5.jpg

It looks like a TV...

You could fool anyone with that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It looks like a TV...

You could fool anyone with that. 

Added some info and done some photos with captions.

Added some info and done some photos with captions.

Glorious

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Looks like a sensational monitor. I was really tempted by one but the price came in just a bit too high for my liking (was expecting it to be ~£550).

Damn after barnacules and logan talked about it i was so tempted. 

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

• 5 months later...

I hope I'm not spamming, but look at my BDM3065UC...

CM9_lhuUEAAOXWg.jpg

Others have experienced this same issue. So it's not a defective monitor.

There are more things in heaven and earth then are dreamt of in your philosophy.