1080p

CalumGiff

So a gtx 970 how good is it at 1080p and for how long will the card be viable for gaming at that resolution surmising im willing to dial it down to medium gfx in games before looking to change the card ?

Any thoughts will be apreciated as it will help me make a final decision for my new buidl :)

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

At 1080P, I'd say it's good for a couple years(3-4), especially if you bring it down to medium.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

1080p- Overkill, can max out any game at 60+fps.

1440p- Sweet spot, can max out most games and still get 40-60fps.

2160p- Not perfect, could play most games on lowest/medium setting with AA off and get 40ish fps. (2x 970's are ideal at 2160p).

So a gtx 970 how good is it at 1080p and for how long will the card be viable for gaming at that resolution surmising im willing to dial it down to medium gfx in games before looking to change the card ?

Any thoughts will be apreciated as it will help me make a final decision for my new buidl :)

There is no game the 970 cannot play at 1080p with maxed settings right now. (Sans AA, of course.) I feel that the card should be able to handle 1080p gaming at high/ultra until at least 2017. 

At 1080P, I'd say it's good for a couple years(3-4), especially if you bring it down to medium.

I'd give it 3-4 years before it goes down to medium settings.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's good, but considering you can get a R9 290 for $240 that performs about 10% worse at 1080p, I wouldn't recommend it unless power/heat is a HUGE issue for you. 

Probably about ~4 years give or take 1-2 until you have to go lower than medium. I can't predict the future though.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Its probs if anything overkill for 1080p atm but will most likely change soon 3-4 years probs especially if your willing to go down to medium.

Medium gfx?

The 970 can play every 1080p game at ultra with filters turned up to the max with no issues.

I meant in the future id be willing to turn downt o medium before changing card mate, other than that thanks guys just thought id better ask cause of the whole nvidia gtx 970 vram issue wasnt sure if that would completely screw me over in a couple years :)

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

Not that having to change card in 2 years is gonna really upset me, I'd just rather get as much use out of it as i can :)

I meant in the future id be willing to turn downt o medium before changing card mate, other than that thanks guys just thought id better ask cause of the whole nvidia gtx 970 vram issue wasnt sure if that would completely screw me over in a couple years :)

That's going to affect you more in resolution than it will in settings for a long time. Shadow of Mordor at Ultra, with their Ultra Textures, at 1080p, is no sweat for the 970. 

Vram might be an issue in hella unoptimized games (Dying Light uses 3.4GB at 1080p high no aa, pretty low settings don't ya think?) but most of the time you should be good with 3.5GB at 1080p.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Medium gfx?

The 970 can play every 1080p game at ultra with filters turned up to the max with no issues.

Dragon Age Inquisition.

Can also play it.

Just not at 60 fps ;)

Right...

My brain automatically considers any frame rate under 60 fps unplayable.

My doesnt because i gamed on a 8400 GS for two years.

Now... How awful that is depends on when those two years were.

Actually no it doesn't. I'm so sorry.

im running on a 9500 gt right now and a quad 2 core duo :P thats why i desperately need a new system xD

Can also play it.

Just not at 60 fps ;)

The GTX 970 can't play DA: I at max settings at 1080p? How the...?

2160p- Not perfect, could play most games on lowest/medium setting with AA off and get 40ish fps. (2x 970's are ideal at 2160p).

*2x 290X's

290X CF performs better at 4K, and 3.5 GB of vram could be a problem in the future

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

IN your honest opinion at 1080p will the gtx 970 be a viable card if im willing to turn gfx down where nessacary for atleast 2 years?

*2x 290X's

290X CF performs better at 4K, and 3.5 GB of vram could be a problem in the future

He asked about 970's so I told him about 970's. 

I'm not saying 2x 970's are better than other options.

IN your honest opinion at 1080p will the gtx 970 be a viable card if im willing to turn gfx down where nessacary for atleast 2 years?

Yes, but like I said, the R9 290 is a better value.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Then i got a 5850 which was top tier for 2009/10.

Pfft don't forget the 5970 that launched at $650 and then rested at $700 for 4 months.