Still can't choose which to buy

NicekillBGtheSecond

I am still wondering with all the hype over the 960 i mean its not a bad card but most people say that the r9 280 (not x) is a better choise. The games i play to play are Dayz, Arma , GTA 5, counter strike all the series and other mmo/fps games I'll be playing them in 1080p

An R9 280x is a better card and for only a bit more.

The only thing the 960 has going for it is efficiency and temps. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The sad fact is the 960 performs a bit better than a 280 but usually costs a bit more.

As @djdwosk97 said, a 280x is a better card to get for the money. You can find them around $220.

An R9 280x is a better card and for only a bit more.

The only thing the 960 has going for it is efficiency and temps. 

not including the x

I am still wondering with all the hype over the 960 i mean its not a bad card but most people say that the r9 280 is a better choise. The games i play to play are Dayz, Arma , GTA 5, counter strike all the series and other mmo/fps games I'll be playing them in 1080p

I think you should wait for the new AMD's to be released then you can get the R9 280x cheaper.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I am still wondering with all the hype over the 960 i mean its not a bad card but most people say that the r9 280 is a better choise. The games i play to play are Dayz, Arma , GTA 5, counter strike all the series and other mmo/fps games I'll be playing them in 1080p

Let me put it out on simple terms. At 1080p, 280x > 960 = 285 > 280. Note that sometimes the 285 wins, sometimes the 960 does. If you take a close look, you'll realize that the 280x is also about 20$ more expensive, and the 280 is 10$ cheaper.

So what to make of it? From a price/performance point, the 960 is just as good as the 280(x). The only difference is the low TDP, which might save you some pretty bucks.

That said, I believe the 960 IS worth getting over the 280(x), but just barely.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Let me put it out on simple terms. At 1080p, 280x > 960 = 285 > 280. Note that sometimes the 285 wins, sometimes the 960 does. If you take a close look, you'll realize that the 280x is also about 20$ more expensive, and the 280 is 10$ cheaper.

So what to make of it? From a price/performance point, the 960 is just as good as the 280(x). The only difference is the low TDP, which might save you some pretty bucks.

That said, I believe the 960 IS worth getting over the 280(x), but just barely.

I cant afford the 280x and i also dont have the psu but from what you are saying the 960 is better than the 280 but why?

Don't go with a 960, it's a waste of money for the performance.  I'd go with something along the lines of an R9 280X for 1080p gaming.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Don't go with a 960, it's a waste of money for the performance.  I'd go with something along the lines of an R9 280X for 1080p gaming.

i cant get the x

i cant get the x

Then get the 280 or 285. IMO the 280 is a better choice because while being a little under the 960 in terms of performance it is still better than the 760 AND has 3GB of vRAM which is already being utilized by many games.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I cant afford the 280x and i also dont have the psu but from what you are saying the 960 is better than the 280 but why?

That's why we ask people to post their PSU and CPU when requesting for GPU advice. From your OP, you'll be playing a lot of CPU dependent games. Maybe your current GPU can hold it, and you'd be better upgrading the cpu?

So system specs, plz.

Also, if you can't afford the 280x, as well as not having a decent PSU, you are pretty much stuck with the 960.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That's why we ask people to post their PSU and CPU when requesting for GPU advice. From your OP, you'll be playing a lot of CPU dependent games. Maybe your current GPU can hold it, and you'd be better upgrading the cpu?

So system specs, plz.

Also, if you can't afford the 280x, as well as not having a decent PSU, you are pretty much stuck with the 960.

http://linustechtips.com/main/user/130405-nicekillbg/

Definitely want to upgrade to a 8320 first (or intel).

ill go with an i5 with a 1150 socket

but to get the money ill sell my old(now still installed) gpu and save some money

ill go with an i5 with a 1150 socket

Wait. Are you getting a new GPU + new CPU, or you'll be getting one or the other?

Wait. Are you getting a new GPU + new CPU, or you'll be getting one or the other?

it got a bit messed up sorry for that. So my plan is to buy a new gpu then sell my old gpu(which is still installed and not put up for sale) and save some money for a new cpu an i5 with a 1150 socket

it got a bit messed up sorry for that. So my plan is to buy a new gpu then sell my old gpu(which is still installed and not put up for sale) and save some money for a new cpu an i5 with a 1150 socket

Well, that's a plan... but you are doing it on the reverse order. For instance, take a look at this video (skip to 5:00):

As you can see, the 750ti is a very capable card. You should focus on getting a new CPU and mobo FIRST, then sell your old stuf, and THEN you can get the GPU. You'll also be getting the new AMD cards, which should be able to just crush the 960, for the same price.

Well, that's a plan... but you are doing it on the reverse order. For instance, take a look at this video (skip to 5:00):

As you can see, the 750ti is a very capable card. You should focus on getting a new CPU and mobo FIRST, then sell your old stuf, and THEN you can get the GPU. You'll also be getting the new AMD cards, which should be able to just crush the 960, for the same price.

My problem is no one will buy the old mobo and cpu and i am missing 100 levs(50 euros or 70 dollers ) to buy a mobo so yeah i have thought of that but i can't decide you have a point though

The price difference between a 280x or a 960 and a 290 is so little that it is really worth paying the extra 50 dollars or so for a much better performance than you would with either card and also newer technologies like free sync and true audio ( comparing it to the 280x ).