SOUND CARD DILEMA

billyboybunto

I have a Asus Xonar Essence STX I would say go with a external sound dac/amp depending on your headphones. The reason I'd suggest external amps/dacs is because they don't have as much interference as things that are inside your case and are normally more highly regarded. 

I have a Asus Xonar Essence STX I would say go with a external sound dac/amp depending on your headphones. The reason I'd suggest external amps/dacs is because they don't have as much interference as things that are inside your case and are normally more highly regarded. 

What a silly waste, if onboard isn't giving any issues, there is no reason other then to waste money to buy something. 

What a silly waste, if onboard isn't giving any issues, there is no reason other then to waste money to buy something. 

He may have a nice speaker setup where onboard is a waste, I'd say get an AVR(with dolby atmos) or go old school and have monoblocks for each speaker and running it through a pre-amp.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

He may have a nice speaker setup where onboard is a waste, I'd say get an AVR(with dolby atmos) or go old school and have monoblocks for each speaker and running it through a pre-amp.

Because thats how works. 

I think go for Creative sound blas ZXR which has better positioning in games may be just can try with that.

Top giggle, high end audio means you have to be bleeding money at all times.

That's exactly what it means! Just look at all the money I've spent! :D lol jk

As I said it really depends on what you are using. If you are using Sennheiser HD800's you aren't going to be running on onboard. Onboard is fine sure but it isn't everything. 

As I said it really depends on what you are using. If you are using Sennheiser HD800's you aren't going to be running on onboard. Onboard is fine sure but it isn't everything. 

HD800s do not need an amp. They are very easy to run. I was completely kidding in my post. 

I would be. My DT 880s run fine from onboard and the HD800 requires slightly less power to reach the same volume.

I would be. My DT 880s run fine from onboard and the HD800 requires slightly less power to reach the same volume.

Wizzie confirmed this a while back, didn't he? Plugging it to onboard, DAP, phone, just about anything, and it got loud enough...

I wonder where people get the idea that HD800 is insanely hard to drive and requires enormous amount of power?

I mean if the statement was 'HD800 works best with a good amp', that's a bit justifiable. Perhaps HD800 with the new type of drivers is sensitive to sound coloration, noises, and stuffs, that it'd sound bad with a cheap, bad amp. 

Wizzie confirmed this a while back, didn't he? Plugging it to onboard, DAP, phone, just about anything, and it got loud enough...

I wonder where people get the idea that HD800 is insanely hard to drive and requires enormous amount of power?

I mean if the statement was 'HD800 works best with a good amp', that's a bit justifiable. Perhaps HD800 with the new type of drivers is sensitive to sound coloration, noises, and stuffs, that it'd sound bad with a cheap, bad amp. 

Oh I dunno, mabe this.

Should we just stop here and agree you're wrong or should I start asking you to back up what you are saying with, you know, science?

Oh I dunno, mabe this.

I dunno, I was thinking of something along the lines of this.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Should we just stop here and agree you're wrong or should I start asking you to back up what you are saying with, you know, science?

I dunno, I was thinking of something along the lines of this.

And Now I recall why I don't post normally on the audio sub section. The concept of my post was typically you don't pair expensive headphones with onboard audio. Now you can be a douche and thats not uncommon with audio snobs on here. I just placed my thoughts and left it to the op. Have a wonderful day.

And Now I recall why I don't post normally on the audio sub section. The concept of my post was typically you don't pair expensive headphones with onboard audio. Now you can be a douche and thats not uncommon with audio snobs on here. I just placed my thoughts and left it to the op. Have a wonderful day.

Solid blanket statement. 

So you won't explain why you are right. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about because you never list any specifics, on general ideas like "good amps for good headphones". Reading some posts on some audio forums doesn't make you an expert. Don't deflect. You are wrong and you have yourself to blame. We just watch and giggle. Your tendency to get offended is stronger than your desire for truth. Even more sad, you're going to continue believing what you want to believe and spread more BS in the future.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

So you won't explain why you are right. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about because you never list any specifics, on general ideas like "good amps for good headphones". Reading some posts on some audio forums doesn't make you an expert. Don't deflect. You are wrong and you have yourself to blame. We just watch and giggle. Your tendency to get offended is stronger than your desire for truth. Even more sad, you're going to continue believing what you want to believe and spread more BS in the future.

Negative reinforcement is an interesting thing.

Yeah... That shit about "needs a good amp" no.    I tried my HD800's out of every source I could think of, not once did they not sound like my HD800s.  Subtle differences here and there, but nothing "gamechanging".

Same thing with volume, it got stupidly loud off every mobile device I had, as well as onboard.

For some reason people think just because the headphone costs a fuckton of money, they need to spend a fuckton of money on amps & dacs & cables for no reason.

Also ILY dark wizie

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yeah... That shit about "needs a good amp" no.    I tried my HD800's out of every source I could think of, not once did they not sound like my HD800s.  Subtle differences here and there, but nothing "gamechanging".

Same thing with volume, it got stupidly loud off every mobile device I had, as well as onboard.

For some reason people think just because the headphone costs a fuckton of money, they need to spend a fuckton of money on amps & dacs & cables for no reason.

Also ILY dark wizie

Not 'need'. Any headphone shouldn't need an external amp, unless something's wrong with the source in the first place. But then again, what's a luxury for us, is a 'need' for others. Maybe for us, 'okay it sounds different, but it's not worth the extra $300 for the amp', for others might very well be, 'okay it sounds different, I MUST get that amp, gonna start saving now...'

For the last statement, I'd say, a part of the reason is the capitalism way of doing things. In stores, when they sell you $1000+ stuffs, they tend to try to sell you some hundred bucks worth of complementing equipment, because they've sized your wallet from your main purchase. It's common practice. 

Not 'need'. Any headphone shouldn't need an external amp, unless something's wrong with the source in the first place. But then again, what's a luxury for us, is a 'need' for others. Maybe for us, 'okay it sounds different, but it's not worth the extra $300 for the amp', for others might very well be, 'okay it sounds different, I MUST get that amp, gonna start saving now...'

For the last statement, I'd say, a part of the reason is the capitalism way of doing things. In stores, when they sell you $1000+ stuffs, they tend to try to sell you some hundred bucks worth of complementing equipment, because they've sized your wallet from your main purchase. It's common practice. 

I agree with you. I don't think that purchasing a super expensive tube amp for example is going to offer you a monumental audio changing experience. From what I've seen from teksyndicate to linus is that having an external amp/dac typically will yield less interference and perhaps a stronger listening experience. I was just making the case that you don't spend 1000 dollars on a headset to plug it into a 100-200 dollar motherboards onboard. It's quite likely they would have something stronger. Needless to say Linus has in the past warned about the hostility of the audio sub section suppose I should of stayed away from the likes of this thread. The above poster was just wanting to know which sound card to go with instead a flame war ensued over an analogy over an example. I don't have history with the HD800, linus does and I don't claim to be a audio expert. I'm just not one to spend all my money on the outside of the equation without spending money on the inside of the equation. You guys can continue your bickering im done. 

5fe30ff6cb009858c4825de1c9a6a5706388c1b8

I agree with you. I don't think that purchasing a super expensive tube amp for example is going to offer you a monumental audio changing experience. From what I've seen from teksyndicate to linus is that having an external amp/dac typically will yield less interference and perhaps a stronger listening experience. I was just making the case that you don't spend 1000 dollars on a headset to plug it into a 100-200 dollar motherboards onboard. It's quite likely they would have something stronger. Needless to say Linus has in the past warned about the hostility of the audio sub section suppose I should of stayed away from the likes of this thread. The above poster was just wanting to know which sound card to go with instead a flame war ensued over an analogy over an example. I don't have history with the HD800, linus does and I don't claim to be a audio expert. I'm just not one to spend all my money on the outside of the equation without spending money on the inside of the equation. You guys can continue your bickering im done. 

I'd say the love on display here is anything but hostile. You're right about the burning part, though.

5fe30ff6cb009858c4825de1c9a6a5706388c1b8

Hmmm, what I'm covering is actually a lot more basic. It's the difference of 'need' and 'want'. They're very different, but some (lots actually) people got them mixed up. 

'Do I need an amp?', most probably I won't, if there's nothing wrong with the current system, or my headphone isn't low in efficiency.

'Do I want an amp?', now that's subjective. If I want an amp, I should just go get the one I want. It's my (and each individuals') money after all. 

What often happens is people want an amp, confusing it to be 'need an amp', and they post in forums, 'this X headphone NEEDS an amp'. Other readers read it, believe it, and start saving hard earned money for an amp, to found out later that it doesn't change the sound that much. I mean, sure if a guy got $3000 allowance/month, a $100-$300 amp is just a small indulgence expense. For other people, $100-$300 is quite a lot to be spent on something that's not needed. 

The regulars here have tried to avoid that kind of unneeded expenses for people, and in return they're labeled 'hostile'. I've said this earlier in another topic. It'd be fun if they (the regulars) answer, 'oh you DEFINITELY need an amp, and none of those under $500 crappy amps. Go for $500+ one', and later just laugh their ass off at that sucker who asked the question, saved his/her lunch money for a month to blow up in a $500+ amp that doesn't do much....

*oh and both wizzie and lays who posted above owns or owned HD800, so they're speaking from personal experience.