Introducing the "World's Worst Tablet" ft. Touchmate Rainbow (18 months after))

Hello there!

I'm back with another review and this is not  going to be pretty...

TOUCHMATE RAINBOW

This box just screams quality.

984267bca5.jpg

I got this tablet 18 months ago as a present... I figured it's about time I wrote something about it... (No, I am not an ungrateful little bastard since this tablet helped me pass a bunch of courses by serving as my second screen)

So yeah... The Touchmate Rainbow...

d07f7afa9b.jpg

0294bdd1cf.jpg

Specs:

• SoC: Rockchip RK2928 1.01GHz (Single Core Cortex A9 + Mali 400)
  • 1GB 256MB RAM
  • 800x480 TN screen
  • 5-point touch screen
  • 2MP front facing Camera
  • 1 + 6GB Internal Storage
  • 1 MicroSD slot (up to 32GB suppoerted)
  • 802.11 N WiFi

Spec-wise it would look solid (for 3-4 years ago)... You may notice that I said 1GB... Yes, it says 1GB, but further testing showed that it only has 256MB of RAM... I'm not sure how they did it but yeah, the system recognizes 1GB RAM but only 256MB is physically available...

The screen is not that impressive... It's acceptable for most stuff but it's not impressive... Leaving it at a low brightness setting for extended periods of time would lead to noticeable flickering... Around three months of extensive use later, stuck and dead pixels started appearing...

As for the sensors, it's got your 3D accelerometer... only... No mobile connectivity... just wi-fi...

The camera is a pos 2MP... I haven't used it too much because I had no need for it... but image quality is pretty decent if you've got good lighting... (By good lighting, I mean outdoors... on a sunny day... in the middle of the desert...)

Performance wise, It can handle SD Video and basic tasks well... Until you fire up the browser... Then it has a high chance of crashing mid-browsing... Don't even try to play lossless audio or HD video... It will freeze the thing forcing you to reboot... or it will reboot on its own... Gaming can also be a problem... Load anything heavier than Candy Crush and you'll see fps drops and freezes left and right...

As for the touch screen, it's a 5-point... but it's inaccurate by several mm... Typing is a chore and the tracking is not that smooth... drawing out a circle would give you something from a triangle to an octagon, depending on how fast you draw...

As for the build quality, you've got cheap plastic at the back, relatively high-density plastic for the sides, and a glass screen... 16 months in and I accidentally dropped it... and I got a broken digitizer layer so the touch screen doesn't work that well now.. It supports USB OTG though, so plugging in a mouse allowed me to get more use out of it...

As a summary:

THIS IS A TERRIBLE TABLET. NOBODY BUY IT.

Pros:

Cheap.

Cons:

It exists.

It might've been a good tablet a few years back... but now...

I used this as a quick reference device, ebook reader, and as a note taking device (thanks to USB OTG functionality), but anything beyond that and it would refuse to work properly...

Edit: Estimated market price as of Apr. 2013 is approx 50USD (based on similar devices from the same OEM)

What do you think? The box alone looks like a POS.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well, I feel sorry for you having used this thing :(

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Well, I feel sorry for you having used this thing :(

It's a present... so I just used it to its full capacity... It's serving as an internet-connected picture frame right now.... (and it crashes.... occasionally...)...

Judging by the box, you know it's gonna be horrible. 

Also CONGRATS!

WELCOME BACK FROM LTT.

Feels good to be back... (Had to take a break to do some things IRL...)

The box looks like it was used in the 1990s. And that tramp-stamp of a logo is just....

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Feels good to be back... (Had to take a break to do some things IRL...)

Oh lol i didn't realize you were gone for a while.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Oh lol i didn't realize you were gone for a while.

Never announced it outside a status update and a post in the anime thread... so... yeah...

This needs to be sent to Ashens, the box alone is gold on this baby.

I'd do it if I had the spare cash to do so and if the screen weren't already cracked...

Also, nice to see another Ashens fan here!

"touchmate"

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

"touchmate rainbow"

Sounds like something used for "interesting" websites that you could dispose of on the fly.

"touchmate rainbow"

Sounds like something used for "interesting" websites that you could dispose of on the fly.

It could've been if it could open websites reliably...

Wow, even those CDR-King tablets are better...

Haha True that...

CDRKing... still better than that piece of crap..

It's Cheap and Crappy.No one buy it.

and also,Hey Kabayan. :)

Hello there!

I'm back with another review and this is not  going to be pretty...

TOUCHMATE RAINBOW

This box just screams quality.

984267bca5.jpg

I got this tablet 18 months ago as a present... I figured it's about time I wrote something about it... (No, I am not an ungrateful little bastard since this tablet helped me pass a bunch of courses by serving as my second screen)

So yeah... The Touchmate Rainbow...

d07f7afa9b.jpg

0294bdd1cf.jpg

Specs:

• SoC: Rockchip RK2928 1.01GHz (Single Core Cortex A9 + Mali 400)
  • 1GB 256MB RAM
  • 800x480 TN screen
  • 5-point touch screen
  • 2MP front facing Camera
  • 1 + 6GB Internal Storage
  • 1 MicroSD slot (up to 32GB suppoerted)
  • 802.11 N WiFi

Spec-wise it would look solid (for 3-4 years ago)... You may notice that I said 1GB... Yes, it says 1GB, but further testing showed that it only has 256MB of RAM... I'm not sure how they did it but yeah, the system recognizes 1GB RAM but only 256MB is physically available...

The screen is not that impressive... It's acceptable for most stuff but it's not impressive... Leaving it at a low brightness setting for extended periods of time would lead to noticeable flickering... Around three months of extensive use later, stuck and dead pixels started appearing...

As for the sensors, it's got your 3D accelerometer... only... No mobile connectivity... just wi-fi...

The camera is a pos 2MP... I haven't used it too much because I had no need for it... but image quality is pretty decent if you've got good lighting... (By good lighting, I mean outdoors... on a sunny day... in the middle of the desert...)

Performance wise, It can handle SD Video and basic tasks well... Until you fire up the browser... Then it has a high chance of crashing mid-browsing... Don't even try to play lossless audio or HD video... It will freeze the thing forcing you to reboot... or it will reboot on its own... Gaming can also be a problem... Load anything heavier than Candy Crush and you'll see fps drops and freezes left and right...

As for the touch screen, it's a 5-point... but it's inaccurate by several mm... Typing is a chore and the tracking is not that smooth... drawing out a circle would give you something from a triangle to an octagon, depending on how fast you draw...

As for the build quality, you've got cheap plastic at the back, relatively high-density plastic for the sides, and a glass screen... 16 months in and I accidentally dropped it... and I got a broken digitizer layer so the touch screen doesn't work that well now.. It supports USB OTG though, so plugging in a mouse allowed me to get more use out of it...

As a summary:

THIS IS A TERRIBLE TABLET. NOBODY BUY IT.

Pros:

Cheap.

Cons:

It exists.

It might've been a good tablet a few years back... but now...

I used this as a quick reference device, ebook reader, and as a note taking device (thanks to USB OTG functionality), but anything beyond that and it would refuse to work properly...

Edit: Estimated market price as of Apr. 2013 is approx 50USD (based on similar devices from the same OEM)

However, it has a great name!

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65