gtx 970 overclocking

Copper317

im going to try to do this with my gigiabtye gtx 970 and just wanted to know if  anyone knows and/or  recommends a way to do this and  if you could please explain how to overclock a gpu that  would be  fantastic . thank you to the linustechtips community for all the help. Also if  you know of a good  overclocking software that is free than please tell me.

Quoting myself on a rather orthodox (super slow, but super safe) method for OCing:

Step 1: Gathering what you'll need

1. Get MSI Afterburner. Unless your card is Zotac's; in that case, get a new card.
  2. Get a 3D benchmark software: 3D mark (can be downloaded via Steam if you want... for some reason) or Unigine Valley Benchmark.
  3. Get the one you didn't pick from above.
  4. Get Prime95.
  5. Configure Windows so that it never enters sleep mode, and never turns the video off.
  6. *REMOVE ALL OTHER OCS IN THE SYSTEM*. Most of the time, these are RAM and CPU OCs; put them at stock speeds.
  7. -OPTIONAL- Get a 3rd benchmark. Furmark, AlienVSPredator, Catzilla, 3D mark 11, these are some suggestions.
  8. -OPTIONAL- Download Folding@Home.

Step 2: Starting it

1. Using MSI Afterburner, boost your maximum TDP allowed to the max % allowed. It will allow your card to get as much power as it can; it won't affect your card in anyway, though.
  2. Don't change voltages if you are not experienced / don't want to void warranty.
  3. Boost your core clock by +100 on the very first OC, and hit 'apply'.
  4. If nothing weird happens, stress test it: First, close all the programs you can (including Antivirus). Then, launch the benchmark chosen at 1.2, and let the computer run undisturbed for about 4h.
  5. If no crashes or artifacts occur, you can repeat step 2.3 and 2.4, but with a mild +30mhz at a time.
  6. Eventually, it will crash/artifact. At this point, you can try to tune it further with +5 bumps in speed, or just use the last non problem OC.

Step 3: Making sure it is ok

1. Now you have your "safe" maximum OC, according to the benchmark chosen in 1.2. So run the 4h test on program chosen at 1.3.
  2. If it fails, tone the OC by -5mhz and try again, until it passes both tests.
  3. After both 3D benchmarks ares stable, run Prime95 for 8~24h, depending on how much you can let your PC go, and how safe you want to be. If it crashes, tone the OC down until it goes fine.

And now, you have found the maximum "safe" OC of the GPU. At this point, you can try to re-apply the OCs to the CPU and memory. If you do, repeat all the stress tests, and hope that nothing crashes. If it does, you'll have to tweak things further: reduce GPU OC to get a better CPU OC, or vice-versa, until you are confortable with both OCs at once.

-OPTINAL, YET HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PART- Your final OC might not *actually* be stable, you just don't know it. After all, you only ran 3 programs, and not every single thing out there. So a way to test further, is to use other benchmarks, for example. But my best suggestion is to install Folding@Home, and let your PC on 24/7 during one week. You can use it as normal, just leave it folding: this will put stress in CPU and GPU at once, and for much longer periods of time then those you used during tune, and you'll also help the world in the process. Lastly, create a .txt file and put it into the Startup folder in windows, so that if the computer crashes and restarts while you are not looking, you'll know that it happened.

If no crashes occur after this HUGE wall of text, congratulations, you can start bragging about your rock solid OC.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

not here to steal the thread, but would aida64 work instead of prime95?

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Is it the G1 Gaming edition of the gtx970? Because I have a stable OC that I was using on my newer rig with no problems.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

it has the  windforce cooler  but it  isnt the gamrer edition or something . it's  the  shorter  verison of the gigabtye g1 970

Quoting myself on a rather orthodox (super slow, but super safe) method for OCing:

Im sorry about the question but whats with Zotac's card?

CPU: Intel i5-4690K @ Stock | GPU: Zotac GTX 970 @ Stock | COOLER:Corsair H110i GT Stock fans | MOBO: Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB GSKILL RIPJAWS X 1866mhz PSU: Silverstone 500W Strider Essential Series | CASE: NZXT S340 | CASE FANS: x1 120mm TT Riing red LED, x1 140mm TT Riing red LED MOUSE: Razer DeathAdder Chroma & Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Red Switches | HEADSET: Logitech G230 | SSD: ADATA 256GB SP900 HDD: 500GB WD Blue & 1TB WD Caviar Black OS: Windows 10 | DISPLAYS: ASUS VX239H and some shitty Samsung 720p

Im sorry about the question but whats with Zotac's card?

They are bad, like really, REAALLY bad. The standard model cools worse than a reference, so expect so pretty crappy OC. And their AMP! models don't even OC at all! If seen at least 3 reviews where they had headaches with it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!