Microphone Extension (and Mic suggestions while you're at it).

Dredgy

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I got so fed up with my camera rig I decided to redo it completely.

The problem was primarily it took too long to set up - which was alright if I had time to dedicate to the project, but if I want to do something like tech reviews, the process was:

1. Set up lights and camera position.
  2. Set up teleprompter on second tripod. Position perfectly.
  3. Remove monitor from my PC, stick it on a chair and connect it to camera with HDMI.
  4. Realise positioning wasn't perfect. Spend more time readjusting camera, and then the prompter.
  5. Realise the teleprompter tripod did not go as tall as the camera tripod, and that repositioning was pointless.
  6. Give up.
  7. Mic up and start filming.

The process could take up to a half hour. Usually the time window I have to film is 15-20 minutes. So I haven't filmed a review in months.

I promptly rectified the first six of these steps - got permanent lights, got a rig kit so that the camera and prompter were on the same tripod, put that tripod on wheels and attached an external monitor. My rig now looks like this:

KLLm1l2.jpg

My current problem is with the mic. I use a decent lavalier microphone, but it has to be positioned correctly on my lapel to stop all interference (and I often don't pick up the interference until I'm in editing wearing monitors, is wired which means it often gets stuck in my chair and is pulled out of the camera. I've considered a wireless lav, but for the money I'd rather a shotgun mic so that I can use it in more situations.

I have decided to get the Rode Video Mic Pro, though I am very much open to other suggestions. I've also looked at the RODE video mic SVMP, but I think a more directional mic is what I want (though unsure, not my strong area).

My major problem though is getting the mic close to me. The cold shoe mount on my camera will probably be up to about 2m from me (often less) so ideally, I'd like to bring the mic forward, past the teleprompter.

I've found what seems to be janky solution, so I want to know if there's an official/better way of doing this.

I would get a mount like this, to have the mic and monitor side by side:

$T2eC16hHJGQE9noMcScOBQKkoD)QE!~~60_12.J

And then something like this to extend the mic:

233115.jpg

The major problem being I can't buy that gooseneck extension in Australia. 

So if anyone has any suggestions, they are most welcome.

SNIP

get a video mic pro and stick it on a boom pole/tall mic stand and hang it above you

you can either run a cable to the camera, or connect it to a xoom recorder (or similar)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

get a video mic pro and stick it on a boom pole/tall mic stand and hang it above you

you can either run a cable to the camera, or connect it to a xoom recorder (or similar)

Trying to have a compact rig, that I can just wheel into the room and fire up. If I have to run a wire everytime I set up, it won't solve that problem of the lavalier. I know it's an...unorthodox request, so solutions seem minimal. Thanks though.

Trying to have a compact rig, that I can just wheel into the room and fire up. If I have to run a wire everytime I set up, it won't solve that problem of the lavalier. I know it's an...unorthodox request, so solutions seem minimal. Thanks though.

If it is a single cable then your good to go one cable takes no time to set up.

If it is a single cable then your good to go one cable takes no time to set up.

I am currently running one cable for the mic, and it's taking too much time.

With an additional boom pole, I then also have to carry that from storage into the main shooting room, which adds at the very least a few minutes, and then I also have to make sure positioning is right. If I have 15 minutes and am shooting a 12-13 minute video, I can't afford that delay.