i3 4150 - 3.5G / 3MB cach

i5 4460 - 3.2G / 6MB cach

and the i3 has hyper threading?

does the cach make a big diffrence?

and is the i3 faster then the i5?

i3 has ht.

no, cache rarely does.

no, i5 > i3.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

in single threaded tasks, the i3 is technically faster...but thats if you're only doing one thing that only runs on one thread. 

The i5 is faster. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

the i5 is much better overall...the cache is sized to be adequate to what the CPU is likely going to be needing during it's normal operation and rarely get flooded during gaming sessions and stuff like that...some cpu's might run out of cache rendering videos and stuff like that that fully utilize the CPU but only when they are heavily overclocked...it's not a spec that you should look at.

The i5 has 4 cores and the i3 only has 2...thats the stat you should be looking at.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

so gaming on BF 2 that uses multiple threads right?

all games are multi threads if I'm right

so I should go for the i5 4460?

Extra question: Is four threads through hyperthreading equivalent to 4 physical cores in terms of performance?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

pretty much every AAA games now make use of at least 4 threads and a strong quad-core cpu is recommended for optimal performance, yes.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Extra question: Is four threads through hyperthreading equivalent to 4 physical cores in terms of performance?

no it's about 70% to 75% as good as 4 real cores.

it's better than a plain dual core, but not optimal.

what is hyper threading  actually?

what is hyper threading actually?

queuing of processes. doesn't actually have any performance increases.

I'm guessing that you're profile isn't correct with a i5 4690k :o

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

what is hyper threading  actually?

Normally a single core on a processor can do only one task at a time. A hyperthreaded core can perform two tasks simultaneously effectively making it seem like you have double the amount of cores.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

so no matter what the i3 still loses to the i5?

that's completely wrong

Normally a single core on a processor can do only one task at a time. A hyperthreaded core can perform two tasks simultaneously effectively making it seem like you have double the amount of cores.

hyper-threading allow the CPU to do better scheduling and process a second set of instructions during what would normaly be ''small downtimes''...so it's feeding his single mouth (core) with two hands (hyper-threading)

so no matter what the i3 still loses to the i5?

yes. otherwise the i5 doesn't have a raison detre.

that's completely wrong

hyper-threading allow the CPU to do better scheduling and process a second set of instructions during what would normaly be ''small downtimes''...so it's feeding his single mouth (core) with two hands (hyper-threading)

Still queuing processes.

Still queuing processors.

still significantly improves performance.

I'm guessing that you're profile isn't correct with a i5 4690k :o

I'm asking because I'm helping someone decide to get the i3 ot the low end i5

I;ve never bought i3s before usually always get K series processors as I like to mess around

So how am I wrong exactly?

So how am I wrong exactly?

really?

really?

You said I was COMPLETELY WRONG. When you said hyperthreading is scheduling so how is scheduling different from queuing?

You said I was COMPLETELY WRONG. When you said hyperthreading is scheduling so how is scheduling different from queuing?

it's not...okay your where PARTLY wrong...pardon me.

it's not...okay your where PARTLY wrong...pardon me.

*you *were #grammarnazi and English isn't my first language

In the best case hyperthreading on a core is worth maybe 30% of an extra core.

that brings us to an i3 performing about 70 to 75% as good as an i5 isnt it?

i3 4150 - 3.5G / 3MB cach

i5 4460 - 3.2G / 6MB cach

and the i3 has hyper threading?

does the cach make a big diffrence?

and is the i3 faster then the i5?

whats the budget of the build?

I got the i5 4460 here and it a great CPU for everyday use and def good for gaming of course

i3 if the general use is just basic web surfing/video watching

I got the parts from Video Pro and the cost of the system is only 778SGD without the GPU

i5 4460

MSI H97M-G43

8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 4GBx2

WD 1TB Blue

CoolerMaster N400

CoolerMaster V550 Gold PSU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

In programs that are single-threaded or dual-threaded, the i3 will perform better.

In programs that are more multi-threaded, the i5 will perform better.

In programs that split a dual-core load across four cores (will look like CPU tops out at 50% in a game that'll do this), then the i5 will be a bit slower, BUT it won't hit 100% and will have more power freed up for things like: Steam. Teamspeak. Skype. Multitasking (watching streams on second monitor, for example). Playing music. Using a USB headset. Etc.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday