Random frequent BSOD

MrKev

I've been experiencing a few blue screens over the last few weeks/months but recently it's been a lot more frequent and I figured I'd try and sort it out now.

The most common error messages I'm getting are:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

There have been a few other ones however I can't recall them.

I've uploaded dump files to Dropbox which have been saved over the last few weeks. Hopefully someone can take a look and help me out!

PC Specs:
Corsair 600W (CMPSU-600CX) PSU
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Arctic White, 1600MHz
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Intel i5 3570K 3.4GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (1GB)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache

Thanks.

Test your memory. Remove one of the DIMMs and run the machine. If it blue screens again, switch to the other DIMM and try again.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What was the last time you did a clean install

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sounds like either bad memory, or memory that's been overclocked too far.

I have gotten that Code with a combination of not enough voltage and a virus so try to connect the psu cable directly to your wall and check if you can do a clean install

What was the last time you did a clean install

Quite a while ago.

Quite a while ago.

You should probably do that then, it will fix all the BSOD problems.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You should probably do that then, it will fix all the BSOD problems.

That's a fairly large assumption to make, especially considering the OP has not mentioned any hardware changes in the last few weeks. We have no information as to whether or not he/she has. You don't even know for sure(or if at all) the BSODs are caused by a bad OS install.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That's a fairly large assumption to make, especially considering the OP has not mentioned any hardware changes in the last few weeks. We have no information as to whether or not he/she has. You don't even know for sure(or if at all) the BSODs are caused by a bad OS install.

Just to clarify, I haven't changed the hardware at all since I've had the PC.

That's a fairly large assumption to make, especially considering the OP has not mentioned any hardware changes in the last few weeks. We have no information as to whether or not he/she has. You don't even know for sure(or if at all) the BSOD is caused by a bad OS install.

The thing is those errors are from issues from OS corruption. So it is possible his drive is dying, he can use crystaldiskinfo check the amount of errors.

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If there are lots of relocated sectors and errors, then he should replace the drive and do a clean install.

If the drive is fine, then he should do a clean install.

Either way he is going to be doing a clean install.

Spoiler

The thing is those errors are from issues from OS corruption. So it is possible his drive is dying, he can use crystaldiskinfo check the amount of errors.

If there are lots of relocated sectors and errors, then he should replace the drive and do a clean install.

BSOD stop codes are fairly generic. I had a CPU overclock that was unstable. The BSOD blamed the NVIDIA kernel driver. The drivers had absolutely nothing to do with it. Pulled back my overclock and everything was fine.

BSOD stop codes are fairly generic. I had a CPU overclock that was unstable. The BSOD blamed the NVIDIA kernel driver. The drivers had absolutely nothing to do with it. Pulled back my overclock and everything was fine.

Are you sure it said driver?

For overclock crashes it should say kernel power

Spoiler

Are you sure it said driver?

For overclock crashes it should say kernel power

I looked up the stop code. It was referring to the NVIDIA kernel driver.

I looked up the stop code. It was referring to the NVIDIA kernel driver.

Were you BLCK overclocking?

Spoiler

Were you BLCK overclocking?

No. Only multiplier.

Test your memory. Remove one of the DIMMs and run the machine. If it blue screens again, switch to the other DIMM and try again.

Since it blue screens at random times, should I just run the PC with one DIMM as normal and see how it goes for, say, a day?

Since it blue screens at random times, should I just run the PC with one DIMM as normal and see how it goes for, say, a day?

Yes.

So I installed crystaldiskinfo but I'm not too sure what I'm looking at/meant to be looking at? Here's a screenshot:

post-950-0-63023300-1417214806.png

So I installed crystaldiskinfo but I'm not too sure what I'm looking at/meant to be looking at? Here's a screenshot:

attachicon.gifScreenshot_1.png

Drive looks fine. Blue icons mean "good" according to the program. Alternatively, you can schedule a disk check as well. This allows Windows to check the hard drive for bad sectors. This requires a system restart and takes a considerable amount of time.

Drive looks fine. Blue icons mean "good" according to the program. Alternatively, you can schedule a disk check as well. This allows Windows to check the hard drive for bad sectors. This requires a system restart and takes a considerable amount of time.

Thanks. I ran the disk check and it came back with no errors (on Windows 8 it doesn't require a restart and took a few mins). Right now I'm just using my PC with one DIMM and I'll see how it goes through today/tomorrow.

Quick update:

I used one DIMM for almost a week with no issues. Since yesterday I switched to the other DIMM and today I've experienced one BSOD so far with the "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" error.

Dump file, if it's of any use

Another update:

So I just turned on my PC, and after about 10 seconds it just turned back off. This happened twice and the third time it booted however another "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" BSOD occurred.

I guess this means there's definitely an issue with the DIMM?

I would say so.

I would say so.

Is there anything I can do, or is my only option to purchase new memory?