Shadowplay coming june 25

mvitkun

source

shadowplay,W-S-388684-13.jpg

shadowplay,W-T-388685-13.jpg

so the rumored shadowplay feature which lets you record all the time and store a defined amount of footage at all times,dynamically clearing out parts of the video and adding to it.

this would allow you to go back say,20 minutes prior when you had that awesome killstreak and grab that footage,where in any other situation it'd have been lost.

on top of that this also has very little impact on performance due to the use of an onboard h.264 encoder on all GTX 6xx & GTX 7xx cards (only ones which are compatible with shadowplay.

so to try it out download GeForce experience when it's updated on the 25.

tell me how it works out when you try it. ;)

I answered depends on X,and for me X would be how much better the card is than my own,vs how much it costs.if they get a $400 card that is about on par with the GTX 780 I'd actually consider it.

and for the second one I said as long as it doesn't drive up the price,because wha AMD has going for their cards is that they're amazing deals usually,and if it made them cost as much as,or more than,Nvidia cards people may abandon AMD,and we need to have more than just Nvidia

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

As soon as this is released I will be using it non-stop with my 680 to record all of my gameplay of Planetside 2. Will this work on the desktop as well.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think Shadowplay and GPU Boost 2.0 are some pretty nice value-adding features that could definitely push me toward NVidia over an equivalent AMD card even if it had slightly higher performance, slightly lower cost, and some free games. Now, an AMD card that's a LOT cheaper or a LOT more powerful, or bundled with some games that I really wanted but (for whatever reason) didn't already buy on my own, that would be a pretty easy choice since I don't really record that much and can figure out an overclock on my own if I have to.

If I were to build a system right now, and had the budget for it, I'd get a 780; then, next time I needed an upgrade I'd put in another 780. After that I'd probably be looking for a new single-GPU solution, though that would probably be at least another generation or two down the line with how powerful the 780 is and how low my standards are.

As soon as this is released I will be using it non-stop with my 680 to record all of my gameplay of Planetside 2. Will this work on the desktop as well.

it's only for kepler gpu's,not sure what you mean when you say will it work for desktops.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

2x GTX 680 SLI

32 GB Quad-Channel RAM

4x 240 GB SSD in RAID0

My PC is ready.

2x GTX 680 SLI

32 GB Quad-Channel RAM

4x 240 GB SSD in RAID0

My PC is ready.

but your pc could pull off fraps easily as well with very little if any discernible loss in performance (provided your processor is decent as well.

I think shadowplay is much more awesome for people that have weaker systems.

EX.

i5 2400

8GB ram

GTX 760 Ti

1x 1TB HDD

while the system above is a pretty good gaming rig,it'd have a hard time with fraps due to there being no SSD or even secondary HDD,and the fact that the processor is an i5 and not an i7 doesn't help.

but with it being a 760 ti (or any other kepler card) you could just about as easily record on this rig as you could on one that is much more properly equipped to do so,like yours.

this means people that want to record their gameplay,or stream it (I think I recall them mentioning streaming using the onboard h.264 encoder) now can spend half as much money and end up getting perfectly acceptable results.

Linus Sebastian said:

but your pc could pull off fraps easily as well with very little if any discernible loss in performance (provided your processor is decent as well.

I think shadowplay is much more awesome for people that have weaker systems.

EX.

i5 2400

8GB ram

GTX 760 Ti

1x 1TB HDD

while the system above is a pretty good gaming rig,it'd have a hard time with fraps due to there being no SSD or even secondary HDD,and the fact that the processor is an i5 and not an i7 doesn't help.

but with it being a 760 ti (or any other kepler card) you could just about as easily record on this rig as you could on one that is much more properly equipped to do so,like yours.

this means people that want to record their gameplay,or stream it (I think I recall them mentioning streaming using the onboard h.264 encoder) now can spend half as much money and end up getting perfectly acceptable results.

Indeed. :)

I can play at 60 FPS and at 2560x1440 while recording at full-frame size through Afterburner with compression at 30 FPS.  However, the recording is a tad bit jerky at times when I play it back later.  I suspect it's due to the on-the-fly compression.  I did try recording without compression, but we are talking about several GB per minute back when I was running at 1920x1200.

So the final step for me is to be able to perform H.264 compression on-the-fly to complete the experience. :)

Indeed. :)

I can play at 60 FPS and at 2560x1440 while recording at full-frame size through Afterburner with compression at 30 FPS.  However, the recording is a tad bit jerky at times when I play it back later.  I suspect it's due to the on-the-fly compression.  I did try recording without compression, but we are talking about several GB per minute back when I was running at 1920x1200.

So the final step for me is to be able to perform H.264 compression on-the-fly to complete the experience. :)

why not record to the SSD's uncompressed with fraps.

compress it with something like handbrake later on.

and be happy?

Linus Sebastian said:

Very interesting feature but i don't think i will use it. I have Dxtory with Virtual audio cable. maybe if Shadow play wil work with virtual audio cable i'd use it

why not record to the SSD's uncompressed with fraps.

compress it with something like handbrake later on.

and be happy?

I'd like to record at all times.  This can amount to 3 hours of gaming, at times, so I can catch all the moments.  I do use the 1 TB raid array for other things like the games themselves, too.

Id need to see the capabilities.  Is it 30 fps is it 60? whats the performance hit?

i can see this being awesome for cpu bound games like MMOS, since the gpu isnt stressed out to its max ...hopefully that means less performance hit and smoother recordings

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I don't record so I guess this doesn't really apply to me and I'd choose AMD in this case. This definitely sound interesting for people who do want to record but can't afford a high end GPU for software solutions or a hardware solution.

Sounds wonderful for me, I really fancy getting into this, I need shadowplay since my system wouldn't be too happy with fraps, nor would I, also the space isn't great as I only have 800gb left on my 1Tb hdd.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Yes! Time to get a GTX 670. :P Hope they go for cheap soon!

Yes! Time to get a GTX 670. :P Hope they go for cheap soon!

680 4 gb ftw is 360$$$$$$$ in amazon

680 4 gb ftw is 360$$$$$$$ in amazon

I do not live in the US! :( I may be able to get it for 450€ if I'm lucky. trolololol WELCOME TO EUROPE! :)

This appears to coincide with the rumoured release date of the next GTX 7XX card down. Just throwing that out there.

I'd just like to point out that AMD graphics cards already has the capability of hardware accelerated H.264 encoding, but it's a lot slower than what Nvidia has.

Actually, since Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell has really beefy MFX engines, and Lucid Virtu, you could in theory use the iGPU for capturing and encoding to H.264 without any performance impact (except maybe that from Lucid Virtu), and it would result in significantly better quality than ShadowPlay (I base that on transcoding done on a GTX 460 vs i5-2500K). Anand talked about it in his Sandy Bridge review. Here is the difference between Quick Sync and whatever Nvidia calls their video transcoding:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/28254

glad i have a 660 :DD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'd just like to point out that AMD graphics cards already has the capability of hardware accelerated H.264 encoding, but it's a lot slower than what Nvidia has.

Actually, since Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell has really beefy MFX engines, and Lucid Virtu, you could in theory use the iGPU for capturing and encoding to H.264 without any performance impact (except maybe that from Lucid Virtu), and it would result in significantly better quality than ShadowPlay (I base that on transcoding done on a GTX 460 vs i5-2500K). Anand talked about it in his Sandy Bridge review. Here is the difference between Quick Sync and whatever Nvidia calls their video transcoding:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/28254

not sure why you brought up cuda accelerated encoding vs quick sync as we aren't talking about cuda we're talking about an onboard h.264 trans-coder/encoder.

hardware accelerated encoding has been around for a long time,yes,but using an onboard h.264 encoder from a graphics card,to the best of my knowledge has not been around prior to the GTX 6xx series,and it is not available on AMD cards to the best of my knowledge.

Linus Sebastian said:

not sure why you brought up cuda accelerated encoding vs quick sync as we aren't talking about cuda we're talking about an onboard h.264 trans-coder/encoder.

hardware accelerated encoding has been around for a long time,yes,but using an onboard h.264 encoder from a graphics card,to the best of my knowledge has not been around prior to the GTX 6xx series,and it is not available on AMD cards to the best of my knowledge.

ShadowPlay uses the same logics as the "CUDA path" H.264 encoder. The difference being that it does not need to decode anything first. As far as I have seen, Nvidia does not include any special logics to make ShadowPlay work, it's just software to take advantage of capabilities already on the cards (the H.264 encoding/decoding block to be more precise), which is the same as the one used in the CUDA accelerated test I took the images from. But maybe I am wrong and Nvidia has added a special chip to make this possible, but so far I haven't seen any indication of this (I've seen the exact opposite in for example Anand's 780 review).

ShadowPlay uses the same logics as the "CUDA path" H.264 encoder. The difference being that it does not need to decode anything first. As far as I have seen, Nvidia does not include any special logics to make ShadowPlay work, it's just software to take advantage of capabilities already on the cards (the H.264 encoding/decoding block to be more precise), which is the same as the one used in the CUDA accelerated test I took the images from. But maybe I am wrong and Nvidia has added a special chip to make this possible, but so far I haven't seen any indication of this (I've seen the exact opposite in for example Anand's 780 review).

lets hope you're wrong lol.

Linus Sebastian said:

lets hope you're wrong lol.

Or let's hope that I am right, so that as many as possible can get this feature (Intel users, AMD users and Nvidia users with cards of the 5XX and 6XX series cards).

I am kind of happy now I bought a 660Ti. Really looking forward to that.