Need Help With Throttling Problem On PC!

Go to solution Solved by Priller,

It's throttling due to VRM temp. He does not have a heatsink on it.

Try to put a fan that blows directly on the VRM and see if those temps drop.

So, my PC has been what I believe to be heat throttling. I believe this because whenever I open a stress test my performance level under task manager will drop. So, what I did was I opened up HWMonitor to see if anything weird was happening. My CPU is at a nice temperature and so is everything else except one thing.... My "Auxiliary" Now I am no "PC Master" but I know a decent amount and have solved all my issues except this one :( I thought this overheating might be due to my North Bridge getting hot so I bout a fan/heat sink combo for it. I believe this has helped a bit (Not sure... just might be me) Also, This photo down below is right as the "Auxiliary" reached 100 degrees Celsius and right after the throttle. During the stress tests the "Auxiliary" temperature will go up to 100 degrees Celsius then throttle down to about 90 degrees Celsius and repeat. My CPU frequency will drop also then jump back up to full speed. Also, my CPU performance will drop. Some of the things I have tried are, disabling "Turbo Boost" in AMD Overdrive, disabling "Power Saving" mode on my PC, and installing a fan/heat sink combo on my North Bridge. BTW I do not believe my PC "Auxiliary" Reaches over 90 degrees Celsius during Gaming... ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!

Some Notes/Questions:

-What is this "Auxiliary" I see on HWMonitor? 

-Build is fairly new

-I've tried to find help before with no luck

-You guys are great :)

My Build 
-AMD FX-8350 Black Edition 
-R9-280x Graphics Card 

-Thermaltake 750W Bronze Certified PSU

-1600MHZ HyperX Fury Ram 
-MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard (I think may be my problem) 
-EVO 212 CPU Cooler 
-Logisys North Bridge Cooler 

Thanks 
P.S. Sorry If I have some errors in my typing... 

post-108652-0-37511600-1416631730_thumb.

post-108652-0-60875300-1416631733_thumb.

Well first start by not using windows 8 task manager at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Enderman 

Okay.... I was just trying to give you guys a wide range of info... thought that would help but apparently not... I also use AMD Overdrive so....

@Enderman 

Okay.... I was just trying to give you guys a wide range of info... thought that would help but apparently not... I also use AMD Overdrive so....

Yeah but just so you know in the future, never rely on anything that windows 8 task manager tells you, because it is usually wrong ;)

Just a small tip.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah but just so you know in the future, never rely on anything that windows 8 task manager tells you, because it is usually wrong ;)

Just a small tip.

Alright I'll do that. I still make those newbie mistakes... Thanks :)

Anything that you can tell me about my problem?

Any recommendations?

Alright I'll do that. I still make those newbie mistakes... Thanks :)

Anything that you can tell me about my problem?

Any recommendations?

Sorry, I have no idea what the auxiliary sensor is from...or why it is getting that hot... :(

Spoiler

Auxilary temps are generally wrong to begin with. Even on my PC it says that it's way above 100°C. So I doubt that's the cause of the drop you see.

And what you see isn't "throttling", it's CPU usage. Windows task manager doesn't let you see throttling when it happens, unless you keep a sharp eye on the current CPU core speed. Throttling would be seeing your CPU go from 3.9 to 1.2GHz or whatever IDLE core speed it goes down to.

I won't pretend I know exactly what happened there, would be better if you had set the task manage to show all cores instead of the overall one (right click the graph something something.... can't be bothered to check, should be easy enough to figure out), my best guess is Prime95 had just froze for some reason, could be due to a bad overclock. But really... Nothing you can do on the PC will ever load the CPU as much as Prime95, so you're fine really.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Auxilary temps are generally wrong to begin with. Even on my PC it says that it's way above 100°C. So I doubt that's the cause of the drop you see.

And what you see isn't "throttling", it's CPU usage. Windows task manager doesn't let you see throttling when it happens, unless you keep a sharp eye on the current CPU core speed. Throttling would be seeing your CPU go from 3.9 to 1.2GHz or whatever IDLE core speed it goes down to.

I won't pretend I know exactly what happened there, would be better if you had set the task manage to show all cores instead of the overall one (right click the graph something something.... can't be bothered to check, should be easy enough to figure out), my best guess is Prime95 had just froze for some reason, could be due to a bad overclock. But really... Nothing you can do on the PC will ever load the CPU as much as Prime95, so you're fine really.

Thanks for the help. I believe that the readings are accurate because, when my computer is at and idle my "Auxiliary" is at a normal temp. Also, this has been happening for a long time and I've been trying to figure out what is wrong. So, I don't believe it Prime95.... I'll try and re-download it.  Another thing is I haven't overclocked so I don't think I messed anything up (Maybe). I did forget to mention that when I am running Prime 95 I hear a loud pitched noise kind of like the dog whistle apps on your phone... Then when the "Auxiliary" reaches 100 degrees Celsius that noise stops and then the tempature drops like seen in the photos. Any other recommendations? I'll post a photo that may be more helpful. Thanks again. :)

Just got these... Hope they can help out :)

Then where's the throttling. All cores are at 100 %

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Then where's the throttling. All cores are at 100 %

The frequency, multiplier, and voltage are all dropping. Is that not a throttle? I'm not really sure wth is happening.... I know it's weird because the CPU will stay at 100% but all the other things will drop. 

The frequency, multiplier, and voltage are all dropping. Is that not a throttle? I'm not really sure wth is happening.... I know it's weird because the CPU will stay at 100% but all the other things will drop.

Which is the real one ? There are three graphs and throttling is only on one graph.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Which is the real one ? There are three graphs and throttling is only on one graph.

The first picture is when Prime95 is first started. The second picture is when the "Auxiliary" reaches its max temperature.  The third picture is when I believe the "Auxiliary" "Throttles" after the max temp of 100C is met.

The first picture is when Prime95 is first started. The second picture is when the "Auxiliary" reaches its max temperature.  The third picture is when I believe the "Auxiliary" "Throttles" after the max temp of 100C is met.

Tell your full specs.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html Install this HWMonitor so that we can know what Auxiliary means. This is the most commonly used one.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup.... Just as I suspected... Thanks for actually saying something useful unlike all these other people. Sorry I'm just now reading your post but basically I bought a motherboard with a heat sink on the VRMs and that solved my problem. Peace :)

Knew it was my motherboard guys... Anyway thanks for the help... ;)

Yup.... Just as I suspected... Thanks for actually saying something useful unlike all these other people. Sorry I'm just now reading your post but basically I bought a motherboard with a heat sink on the VRMs and that solved my problem. Peace :)

No problem. Need anything else, let me know.