EA cancelled their MOBA game "Dawngate"

Nit3Rid3R

So EA has cancelled their MOBA game that was in it's beta testing phase for almost 18 months now.

Quotes from the article:

"We built a game in Dawngate that wasn’t simply a clone of existing MOBAs, but one that truly pushed the genre forward in many ways"

"we're not seeing the progress we'd hoped for,"

"This isn’t the outcome we wanted, but beta testing is about learning and improving, and ultimately, about making difficult decisions about how to proceed."

I have to say, I respect EA for making a decision on pulling the plug for this game. With all the chaos over Ubisoft at the moment, and before that, EA, they have decided to pull something that they thought wasn't going to work, and that in my opinion, is the right thing to do, instead of releasing something that they were not comfortable releasing.

Source:http://www.pcgamer.com/eas-dawngate-moba-canceled-after-six-months-of-open-beta/

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

EA should have cancelled the release date and pushed it back for BF4, too.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It was pointless to even release it in the first place. Why should I waste my time with a no-name game when there are already many well known tittle that do the same thing if not better.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

good, we don't need more. dota, LoL and blizzard upcoming moba should be more than we need.

So we dont need more mobas, but if blizzard does it that's totally cool? Fanboyism is strong in this one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I said it once and I stand firm about it. There is a LOT of room on the MOBA genre for innovation. MOBAS are just multi player arenas, you start each game on a map, with the same amount of players, and complete an objective with your unit/s; nobody said it needed 4 skills a level cap, three lanes and a enemy base to destroy, that's one of the thousand possibilities.

Companies just look at it all the other way.

good, we don't need more. dota, LoL and blizzard upcoming moba should be more than we need.

People don't realize there's already 10+ different games classified in the Action RTS/MOBA/Battle Arena genre, with 4 being based on the same WC3-style stuff. WC3 = DotA = DotA 2, DotA = ~LoL, Blizzard universes + League = ~HotS, LoL= ~HoN. Then there's Smite, Strife, Infinite Crisis (DC Battle Arena), Bloodline Champions, a few flash-based ARTS/MOBAs, Super MNC (available on Xbox), PanZar, etc.

There's more I don't know about that are considered to be related and I'm sure that EA just saw that they will likely not be successful in the market. The thing that bothers me is that they said the game took a turn in a different direction than they planned. It was probably more like "This genre is oversaturated and dominated by DotA 2 and League, drop the funding for it" at the board meeting.

Because, seriously, do you really think even Blizzard stands a chance against the two titans? That's ignoring the majority of the world saying "this game is extremely bad". What does any dev company have that makes their game completely different while still having that style of gameplay? Better off just making a very different game entirely.

EA: "We've been working on something for almost 2 years, better cancel it before people come to expect a quality product from us, must maintain the brand of shitty rushed out games, as always"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yeah if there ever comes a MOBA that gets even remotely as big as Dota2/LoL I'll be very surprised. The only other MOBA that's even on my radar is Smite and that's because it's a totally different type of gameplay. ForsakenLive is correct, companies need to start making original ideas instead of making more Dota/LoL clones.

Don't forget Smite, it blew up recently and it's amazing and it's coming to consoles so it might blow up even more.

Yeah if there ever comes a MOBA that gets even remotely as big as Dota2/LoL I'll be very surprised. The only other MOBA that's even on my radar is Smite and that's because it's a totally different type of gameplay. ForsakenLive is correct, companies need to start making original ideas instead of making more Dota/LoL clones.

Diamond LoL player here. Smite is nuts. So much action :D

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Good on them for their honesty and humility.  Perhaps EA are making good on their desire to change?  The world doesn't need another rage enabling capitalism machine.

So we dont need more mobas, but if blizzard does it that's totally cool? Fanboyism is strong in this one.

The thing about this genre, which some people call MOBA but I refuse to because I don't think that's a good descriptive name, is that it requires way too much time investment. They all have around 100 characters to play. Because of this one game is more than enough to suck all the time and attention of a player. That's why it's rare to see one person playing more than 1 game of this type let alone 3.

So we established that 1 person will only choose 1 game. In that case, your game would need to have a very compelling attribute to win people over.

DotA is the progenitor, DotA 2 is the direct sequel, League of Legends has the first comer advantage, Smite has got third person perspective going on plus Smite team really knows how to market the game as they make deals with many YouTubers and streamers.

Is there more room after these 3? Maybe but it's best if you don't aim too high.

Personally I thought Infinite Crisis would be the 4th powerhouse because of the fact that you can play as Batman but I don't think that has happened. If playing as Batman is not a compelling enough reason to win people over there was nothing Dawngate could do.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The thing about this genre, which some people call MOBA but I refuse to because I don't think that's a good descriptive name, is that it requires way too much time investment. They all have around 100 characters to play. Because of this one game is more than enough to suck all the time and attention of a player. That's why it's rare to see one person playing more than 1 game of this type let alone 3.

So we established that 1 person will only choose 1 game. In that case, your game would need to have a very compelling attribute to win people over.

DotA is the progenitor, DotA 2 is the direct sequel, League of Legends has the first comer advantage, Smite has got third person perspective going on plus Smite team really knows how to market the game as they make deals with many YouTubers and streamers.

Is there more room after these 3? Maybe but it's best if you don't aim too high.

Personally I thought Infinite Crisis would be the 4th powerhouse because of the fact that you can play as Batman but I don't think that has happened. If playing as Batman is not a compelling enough reason to win people over there was nothing Dawngate could do.

Yeah but at one point MMOs and WoW had basically the same argument: players had to commit a lot to a game because of payments and the immense amount of time required. Yet that never stopped other mmos from both being developed and finding moderate success. I just dislike this attitude of "No more mobas....yet exceptions may apply" Either no more mobas or more mobas: If you can give Blizzard a chance you should give anyone who wants to try a chance.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah but at one point MMOs and WoW had basically the same argument: players had to commit a lot to a game because of payments and the immense amount of time required. Yet that never stopped other mmos from both being developed and finding moderate success. I just dislike this attitude of "No more mobas....yet exceptions may apply" Either no more mobas or more mobas: If you can give Blizzard a chance you should give anyone who wants to try a chance.

The reason why Blizzard gets a pass goes back to my compelling reason to play argument. Blizzard's game's compelling reason to play is their WoW universe. There are a lot of people out there that are familiar with it and may like to play a game of such type based in it.

If the new comer game is not related to a well established property or has something quite different going on (like Smite) the chances of its success is dire.

"We built a game in Dawngate that wasn’t simply a clone of existing MOBAs, but one that truly pushed the genre forward in many ways"

This sux because all MOBAs are same thing different mechanics. Probably would try it just to see whats so special about it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The reason why Blizzard gets a pass goes back to my compelling reason to play argument. Blizzard's game's compelling reason to play is their WoW universe. There are a lot of people out there that are familiar with it and may like to play a game of such type based in it.

If the new comer game is not related to a well established property or has something quite different going on (like Smite) the chances of its success is dire.

You might have a point there with a lot of people but with me, you just lost me. Also a good setting handled by a reputable company is not always a good enough reason: See SWTOR

-------

Current Rig

-------

Awesome. I hope all MOBAs in development are DOA. Because as an MMORPG gamer, it is extremely frustrating to see 95% of the games 'in development' at MMOsite being shitty mobas.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Bold move, definitely to be respected I suppose.

Although from what I've seen it didnt feel that much innovative or captivating in any way.

because MOBA's were never intended as a complete genre of games in the first place - only people who said it was a stand-alone genre were clueless execs in charge of game development studios that don't understand the industry

Dota 2 was a spinoff of the GAMEPLAY DESIGN of Warcraft3. Warcraft 3 - by design (which was influenced by hardware limitations at the time) - focused on lower unit counts and more on micro-management. People found this focus on micro-management incredibly fun, and decided to make a spin-off of it where the whole focus was micro-management of one hero unit in an RTS atmosphere

It was RTS-Lite, influenced with RPG elements (farming and buying items). It was never a genre, and idiot execs who think "we can make a MOBA too" are just clueless on what actually makes/made Dota/Dota2 successful

You might have a point there with a lot of people but with me, you just lost me. Also a good setting handled by a reputable company is not always a good enough reason: See SWTOR

I based my arguments not only from general tendecies of gamers but also from my own experiences. I played the original DotA, then Herous of Newearth then League of Legends and now DOTA 2. I've never played two at once because it just doesn't work. And after DOTA 2 I have no intention of switching but if I were to pick a game to switch to it would be Smite.

Not Infinite Crisis -> not into comics

Not Heroes of the Storm -> I've never played WoW, I don't care for the universe. 

Not Dawngate -> the fuck is Dawngate?

SWTOR failed because of its business model. Subscription based MMOs have always failed because they all wanted to be World of Warcraft and the market has repeatedly shown it only has place for one und only one subscription based MMO. Elder Scrolls online will also fail for the same reason.

Good there are enough mobas for idiots to think eSPORTS are sports. Even lord Linus said something stupid on one of the WAN shows, he called eSPORTS competitors "eSPORTS athletes"

ATHLETES.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW