British Engineering is FIRST to reach average of 1000 mph on land.

The Bristol-based (Bristol, UK), open source project, The Bloodhound SSC Rocket Car was announced at WiredCon 2014 that they'll attempt to break their own land speed by reaching an average of 1000 miles per hour (mph) (or 1609.34 Kilometers per hour (kph)) across the African Salt desert in Namibia known as the Makgadikgadi Pan (as seen on the Top Gear Botswana Special) in the summer of 2016. 

At WiredCon 2014, Head engineer of the project Mark Chapman said "The Bloodhound has a 135,000 Brake Horsepower engine that will help it break mach 1 (761 mph, the speed of sound) and continue to 1000 mph. For the last 2 years and the next 2 years, we have and will continue to laser etch the desert plain to create the flattest surface in the world across its 1000 mile stretch, No object larger than a marble will remain."

He continued to say...

..."Our pilot Andy green (RAF pilot) is only going to experience 3 positive and 3 negative gs of force when accelerating to 1000 mph and braking back to 0 mph. However the reason why we need to laser etch the surface is not because a small rock could damage the vehicle or cause it to sway but because with Bloodhound at 1000 mph if it were to hit a small rock, the pilot would experience the same pain or sensations that of a bullet piecing straight through the body." 

He then continued on to explain the sensations that the pilot, Andy Green, would feel when accelerating and braking,

"Although the pilot would only experience 3 positive gs upon accelerations the pilots body will feel like he is accelerating upwards and when braking he will only receive negative 3 gs of force, the pilot will feel as if he is moving downwards (the same sensation of that a person feels upon a landing plane, although much more serve.) However also whilst braking he will feel as it he is experiencing a car crash." 

He then concluded with this 

"But by open source, we mean you can download all the CAD files for the model shape and each component so that anyone can experiment, change and finally submit their own ideas for the 1000 mph and if proven beneficial, could be implemented in the final model. For instance, we had a sixth form graduate student look at the model in which one day, he suggested we turn the rocket upside down in which we discover that this will actually provide more force behind the vehicle than originally, Nobles original mistake being that they took a small rocket and slowly scaled up not realizing it was the wrong way up."

Below are a couple of links to a few interviews by wired, months before WiredCon 2014 took place:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/13/bloodhound-ssc-cockpit 

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-03/21/bloodhound-ssc-1000mph-car

From what you've posted it sounds as though they're planning to do this, not that they've actually done it...?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Extremely interesting, especially the bits on how the driver would feel the pain of a small bump in the road.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Title is a bit misleading, Article says that they are going to attempt it, not that they already have.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well considering that this has been in planning and development publicly for nearly 4 years now at least, it's about bloody time they got around to doing it. Let's hope that Wing Commander Green can make the record next year.

I've been following the progress of this and the concepts they've gone through, even got a picture of the full size mock up of it before the latest iteration, it's damn huge I'll say that.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

In order to accelerate the car to 1000mph, the Nammo hybrid rocket will provide a thrust of 123.75kN (27,500lbf). This will be combined with the thrust from the EJ200 jet to generate about 212kN (47,700lbf) - that's eight times more power than all the cars on a Formula 1 starting grid combined. THATS CRAZY!

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

So many ways this could go wrong, hopefully it is successful.

Note: They would not be the first group to reach 1000mph on land, that was already done post ww2 on a rocket sled, they will be the first to do it in what qualifies as a car.

So many ways this could go wrong, hopefully it is successful.

Note: They would not be the first group to reach 1000mph on land, that was already done post ww2 on a rocket sled, they will be the first to do it in what qualifies as a car.

Wasn't that just a sledge on rail's ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

They are totally getting sued by Batman. Whast's even more funny is that at that speed, it will even go over the water, with that afterburner on.

Why won't these people stop using the Imperial unit system already...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

First to theoretically possibly do it, maybe...

How does one go about getting the funding for this... I have a spare rolling chassis laying around I wouldn't mind strapping a jet engine onto in the name of science.

Imperial = best.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Imperial = best.

Please tell me that's irony...

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I actually did a module focusing around this car at Swansea, aerospace guys are really excited about it. Turned out it was powered by Intel Atoms...go figure.

Please tell me that's irony...

It's actually sarcasm, dunno how u think it's irony.

They're trying to captivate the imagination of the public..."1000 miles an hour" is more recognisable to Average Joe rather than saying "447 m/s".

It's actually sarcasm, dunno how u think it's irony.

Excuse the typo, that's what i meant.

They're trying to captivate the imagination of the public..."1000 miles an hour" is more recognisable to Average Joe rather than saying "447 m/s".

And what's wrong with 1600 Km/s ?

or 1600KM/h

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

You do realise the UK works in miles and not kilometers ?

You do realise the UK works in miles and not kilometers ?

The United States, Liberia and Burma are the only three countries that have not adopted the metric system as their official system of measurement.

The United States, Liberia and Burma are the only three countries that have not adopted the metric system as their official system of measurement.

Which does not answer my question. We use MPH, so it's pretty obvious they will report in MPH. As surprising as that sound's.

everything's wrong with 1600 km/s...no vehicle on earth can reach that velocity at ground level...JK =D.

This car is being researched in Britain, which uses MPH, that's why it's advertised as a "1000MPH" car. Bloodhound SSC's main goal, believe it or not, is to inspire a new generation of engineers; that means kids in school who grew up reading mph dials on their parent's cars. I know that might sound archaic and Brunel-esque, but the world needs engineers, and it all starts with PR.