GTX 980 loud coil whine at high fps

AlexCom

Hello community!

Today I discovered that both my gtx 980 have a loud coil whine. I have one gigabite model and one asus model.

While idle it`s not hearable at all, but when I go in borderlands the pre-sequel and put the frame cap on 120 or Unlimited the whine is extremely hearable on both cards! Tested with both in sli, and separately each.

Is this cause for concern?(I heard coil whine before, but this is loud!) I mean, could it be from something else besides the cards? I will test it with another model and get back.. but for now.. it really seams odd that both have the coil whine, both being new cards.

Thanks for any help that comes!

Take care,

Alex

More info about DIS All-In PC DESK here: www.DISpc.net

Please try more than one game before coming to conclusions. Chances are its just that one game, not because of the high fps on any game.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have a few games:

~300 fps in League of Legends: almost no whine

120 fps in Hearthstone: no whine

~120 fps in Starcraft: bit of whine

200 fps in Borderlands: extremely audible whine

~140 fps in Bf4 : audible whine

So it seems to be related with graphical intensive games... oh.. I will have to live with this, won`t I?

Thank you,

Alex

First, put the cards in another computer to test if it actually is the cards.
If it is, RMA them.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I have a few games:

So it seems to be related with graphical intensive games... oh.. I will have to live with this, won`t I?

Thank you,

Alex

Maybe you don't if its still under warranty you can take it back and ask for a replacement due to bad coil whine.

And i don't know how it is where you live but here we have sort of like a if your not happy with the product with in 30 days.

You can return it ether for a refund or replacement no questions asked.

Yep.. I`ll probably send them back next week.. first I want to check in another system for the whine as well .. as TDP_Equinox suggested.

could it be the PSU?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

limit the FPS to 60. Simple.

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

limit the FPS to 60. Simple.

He has a 120Hz screen so that would be doing injustice to the refresh rate.

He has a 120Hz screen so that would be doing injustice to the refresh rate.

well until he changes the GPUs 60fps and no whine is good

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

well until he changes the GPUs 60fps and no whine is good

He's getting MUCH more than 60fps. Which is natural with a GTX980

Considering that the whine is very annoying in some games, of course it's up the the OP to decide which he chooses: FPS or whine

He's getting MUCH more than 60fps. Which is natural with a GTX980

and thats why he has the whine: too many fps+faulty card= whine

-Linus

and thats why he has the whine: too many fps+faulty card= whine

Coil whine is not a fault. It is just annoying as hell, and some manufacturers let people RMA their cards because of it.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

coil whine IS a fault. some 980s need to play games at much more than 1000fps to get it, others (like this one) at 120fps start making noise

-Linus

Thank you for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I will contact my vendor to see if they accept returns due to coil whine.

Have a good day,

Alex

Ok I just tested it with a gtx 780, and I have the same results.. Could it be the PSU?

I have a older power supply..  Chieftec cft-850g-df, will it work with my new system to check it out?(with one card, the gtx 780, not the 980) The amperage is pretty low...

I very loud noises in Borderlands and Valley Benchmark 1.0.

Ok I just tested it with a gtx 780, and I have the same results.. Could it be the PSU?

I have a older power supply..  Chieftec cft-850g-df, will it work with my new system to check it out?(with one card, the gtx 780, not the 980) The amperage is pretty low...

it is most likely PSU then.

Try swapping it out if you can, to confirm .

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

I wouldn't trust that power supply to begin with... Looks like a 13 year old made their website. http://www.chieftec.com/super-power.html

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

I wouldn't trust that power supply to begin with... Looks like a 13 year old made their website. http://www.chieftec.com/super-power.html

I have that power supply on a older computer.. and it still works :)

On my main one( the one that I think has the coil whine) is the  Corsair Professional Series Platinum HX1000i.

I have to buy a new PSU to test it out I think.. oh god... or just test the PSU on the older PC, I think that works too, right?

Thanks again guys!

Ok guys.. I have some unnerving news..

Took the power supply out.. and put it about 10 cm away from the computer so I could hear it.. It has a faint coil whine sound, but that is normal I guess, the sound still comes from the MB area, but it`s not like a "normal" coil sound, it`s more .. rough as I would describe it(but not too much). I`ll put everything back in till I see more suggestions.

Could it be part of the MB? If so how would I test that?

As I said what I`ve tested since I started hearing it:

Sli both cards, each one, with a 780.. and with the PSU out of the case... still the sound exists when I enter games/benchmark software, at idle, no sound. what do you guys think? What should I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

p.s. the 780 is in an older computer, and I ran benchmarks on it, and it does not have coil whine, only when I put it in the new one... any suggestions? Maybe USB devices trigger it? I don`t even know