The Server Room

Bigdaddy5414

I just posted my main rig an hour ago, so I figured I would post my server rack as well as the two go together pretty much as this is all my storage.

gallery_1_7_33549.jpg

Its a full height rack housing a few servers, switches, and other things. A lot of it is older stuff but still does the job.

At the top is a 48 port gigabit smart switch and a layer 7 switch below it. Below that is a double sided power strip which is full on the back side. And then a old school CRT monitor and keyboard/mouse which is being phased out soon with a 1u rack height KVM console were the screen pulls out and flips up like a laptop with a touchpad and keyboard.

The first server is an older dual core dual processor HP which is my router running pFsense. I have two internet connections coming in and it load balances and provides failover between the two in case of a failure. One of the modems is in the rack on the battery backup, the other is not. I also have a block of 16 static IP addresses which this handles and other things like CARP virtual IP's, VPN,  and Squid Guard and Squid Proxy. Everything is cached such as web pages, youtube, and Windows updates which I do freqently with customers computers and most adds are blocked from web pages.

Below that is an APC 3000 VA Smart UPS with a network card installed. This is one big boy and I had to wire in a  30 amp circuit for it with a special twist lock plug. The network management will shut down servers when power is out and battery runtime reaches 5 minutes. And allow me to manage it and see diagnostics. The 8 batteries in there have failed the last self test and now I have a red replace battery lit up. So that is on order.

Below that is a dual quad core server running ESXi 5.5 with several virtual machines running. Such as my remote support server where customers connect to for me to remotely control their machines. Another one for my security camers. Another is 1 of 2 web hosting virtual machines. I have 2 running on 2 seperate machines as that is very important.

Below that is an old Dell wich has one purpose. It has various operating system images on it and acts as a network boot server (PXE). Simplifies life installing various OS's around the shop and repaired computers.

Below that is the huge HP blade server. This is old school with 20 blades installed. They are are Pentium M 1.0GHz machines with 1.0GB RAM. Its just for me to play around with, not really used for much.

The black Cooler Master below that is the newest piece in there, which I built a few months ago. It has a Xeon E3-1230V3 inside along with a Supermicro X10SL7-F with an onbord LSI RAID controller. There is 32 GB ECC RAM installed and it is also running ESXi with a couple of virtual machines. One of those being web server number 2. FreeNAS is the main job of this one. The chipset allows me to pass through one of the network devices and the LSI controller with the drives to FreeNAS so they are not virtualized because that would be a big problem some day if they were virtual.Everything is linked up to FreeNAS for backups and data storage. There are seven 3TB drives in there in a RAIDZ2, which allows for 2 drives to fail. Utilities I use on a daily basis to clean up customers computers, games, programs, pretty much everything is on there. Plex, Sickbeard, and Transmission as well running their pluggins.

The last server is an IBM X Server with quad processors installed and 32 GB RAM. This one is more to play around with as well, it is a major electrical hog!

This room also acts as the furnace for the building lol, it gets down in the 30s outside (F) and it still has yet to drop below 71 inside with no heat being used.

med_gallery_1_7_1518150.jpg

med_gallery_1_7_2386691.jpg

med_gallery_1_7_2017506.jpg

med_gallery_1_7_2117065.jpg

med_gallery_1_7_1964061.jpg

med_gallery_1_7_1787005.jpg

Nice job on the server.

Also dat keyboard do

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Those must sound like a jet engine...

(or like an AMD reference GPU lol)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

impressive.

Nice job on the server.

Also dat keyboard do

LOL random keyboard from a box that did the job. Soon will be a rackmount KVM though like a laptop. So that will be gone with a nice flip up screen.

Those must sound like a jet engine...

(or like an AMD reference GPU lol)

It's not too bad when all closed up and locked. Plus its in a closet so most of it is isolated.

do you even need central heating?

Not really haha. Its 82 in the room there, and 77 outside of it. Only 46 outside right now.

Not really haha. Its 82 in the room there, and 77 outside of it. Only 46 outside right now.

oh right Fahrenheit, thats still pretty hot though

What do you use those for xD?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This is pretty epic man! 

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

What do you use those for xD?

I pretty much posted what they are used for but you have to read it  :) One of the reasons is my load balancing/failover between the two internet connections.

It is two 45/6 connections. Fastest offered here at the shop.

3839280842.png

This is pretty epic man! 

Thank you! I went through a little addiction for a whie finding them on Cragislist and being like, "o I have to get it".

I pretty much posted what they are used for but you have to read it  :)

Thank you! I went through a little addiction for a whie finding them on Cragislist and being like, "o I have to get it".

BUT PICTURES ARE SO DISTRACTING

So then what do you do for all that to be required, do you own your own business?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Nice wish I had a way of aquiring stuff like this in NZ, I would love to have a mess around with running a server and stuff like that.

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

It's not too bad when all closed up and locked. Plus its in a closet so most of it is isolated.

How does it get fresh air if its shut in a closet...?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

BUT PICTURES ARE SO DISTRACTING

So then what do you do for all that to be required, do you own your own business?

Yes I started out of my home a few years ago doing computer repairs and other electronics and got big enough to move it into a store front back in May of 2014. And since then it has grown quite a bit.

How does it get fresh air if its shut in a closet...?

I may have worded that wrong. With the rack closed and locked up it actually runs cooler then if the doors are open, its weird. Fans start to ramp up and temps rise when the doors are open. Must be some engineering on how the ventilation works inside it. The closet door i do not close but it still keeps off a lot of noise rather then just having it out in the open,

I may have worded that wrong. With the rack closed and locked up it actually runs cooler then if the doors are open, its weird. Fans start to ramp up and temps rise when the doors are open. Must be some engineering on how the ventilation works inside it. The closet door i do not close but it still keeps off a lot of noise rather then just having it out in the open,

k that made 0 sense to me...

Spoiler