iPhone 6 catches fire in mans pocket

Tygron

I'm sure we've heard enough about bendgate already but...

A man's iPhone 6 catches fire in a mans pocket while riding in a cab. Apparently he hit a bump, his leg hit against something in the cab and his phone bent and punctured the battery causing the fire.

I don't have a news article for this, however, got this from a video. I'm sure I could have looked it up somewhere but, i'm short on time and need to get back to work (on break) here in a minute.

EDIT: As promised, but late. Some quote from the article. (had to tinker with the text a little, the last half wasn't playing nice with the auto color. Got it working though. Hate to be a hypocrit of my own complaints of people not knowing how to copy paste properly)

There were 6 of us, so we divided into 2 groups; and my wife, youngest son (7) and I were in the second rickshaw.    We didn’t get much more than a block down the road when the driver/biker caught a trolley track in the road and lost balance.  He feel over causing the rickshaw to tip over to the left.  Fortunately, the rickshaw didn’t tip all the way over, and we were not thrown out.  I was half on, half off the rickshaw as I was sitting on the left side of the seat.  I immediately checked my wife and son to make sure they were ok.  While I was looking at them, I felt a burning sensation on my leg and then saw and smelled smoke from my pants.  I surveyed the rickshaw quickly and could not find anything that could have set me on fire.  Then it hit me, my phone was in my pocket.  Somehow in the process of the tipping of the rickshaw my new APPLE iPhone 6 had bent in my front pocket and caught on fire

The smoke was thick and I quickly laid down to get the APPLE iPhone 6 out of my pocket.  The smell was disturbing.  I could feel my leg burning.  I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side.   Someone from a crowd of spectators threw a cup of water on my leg to put the fire out on my jeans. I had a leather Apple case on the phone, and the case was facing forward, and that saved my fingers from getting badly burned when i went to remove the phone from my pocket.  A bystander was not so lucky; he picked up the phone without the case and burned his fingers.  With a crowd looming, another bystander then put Ice water on the phone to cool it off while a 3rd observer took the below video.  Listen closely, you can hear the sizzling.

lol poor apple:D

They shoud do something about the problems witht heir new phone

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Cool thanks, will copy and paste and add from the article when I get home.

Quickly looked for a post about it, didn't see it on the front page so I went ahead and made a topic ^_^;

But yea Apple can't catch a break. Though this is a bit of abuse of the device I feel if there was more structural support the phone wouldn't have bent that way and punctured the battery.

I have something similar I think.

I have an iPhone 5s and one day I hit the corner of the table really hard at the exact spot my phone was in my pocket, now it's kinda bent and has this big dent under the Apple logo, the phone gets really hot and the battery only lasts about 3,5 hours.

You should replace your phone ASAP.

Phone batteries can explode if you short them or damage them like that.

It's really dangerous to keep it in such a state.

lol poor apple:D

They shoud do something about the problems witht heir new phone

Perhaps they should just stop making their own phones, and just focus on the OS and let someone else handle the hardware side of things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Perhaps they should just stop making their own phones, and just focus on the OS and let someone else handle the hardware side of things.

That's never going to happen.

Just make a thicker phone and put a bigger battery to it doesn't bend, short-circuits and catches on fire. It's that simple morons.

It seems to me that every phone that company release catches fire some way or another....

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

#boomgate, im telling you

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What do people expect? It's a LiPo battery. It's not /that/ safe.

Plus, you shouldn't be banging your phones and denting batteries even with a Li Ion battery. Batteries in general aren't safe.

This isn't Apple's fault; treat your phone better.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

What do people expect? It's a LiPo battery. It's not /that/ safe.

Plus, you shouldn't be banging your phones and denting batteries even with a Li Ion battery. Batteries in general aren't safe.

This isn't Apple's fault; treat your phone better.

While i'm not going to disagree with you, the way it sounds was he was jostled around and the phone slammed against a bar. Not really something he could control. Lets face it, any phone would have gotten damaged like that likely unless it was in a sturdy case and even then I don't know. But this sure doesn't look good for Apple.

So now the question is: Should I keep my phone in my front pocket or back pocket?

Either way I wouldn't be having a good day. Note I don't have an iPhone, but my phone uses the same type of battery: Lithium-polymer. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Samsung phones do this too, any dam phone with Lithium Ion can have this happen. 

No need to blow this up into something ridiculous. Tesla cars have caught fire too, the battery tech is just that volatile. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Samsung phones do this too, any dam phone with Lithium Ion can have this happen. 

No need to blow this up into something ridiculous. Tesla cars have caught fire too, the battery tech is just that volatile. 

Well, but this is Apple we're talking about, and whenever Apple is in the picture, there's going to be two things that happen.  There will be Apple fanbois going "WE DA BEST" and Apple anti-circlejerks going "HAHA SEE DAT YOU SUCK ASS" and the media will be all over it.

Just like Tesla, how many car fires do you think happen everyday, but when a Tesla has a car-fire every single idiotic media outlet decides to cover it.  And to think they don't understand why Gamergate exists....but I digress.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Well, but this is Apple we're talking about, and whenever Apple is in the picture, there's going to be two things that happen.  There will be Apple fanbois going "WE DA BEST" and Apple anti-circlejerks going "HAHA SEE DAT YOU SUCK ASS" and the media will be all over it.

Just like Tesla, how many car fires do you think happen everyday, but when a Tesla has a car-fire every single idiotic media outlet decides to cover it.  And to think they don't understand why Gamergate exists....but I digress.

Quite true. Yay for humanity!... Lol

I'm surprised you managed to get that name. I'm even more surprised that name is being used now. lol....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Apple uses Lithium Polymer, faster charge rates but less safe

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock