New system, black/gold theme, painting questions

Kevin01

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and also new to mods. Below is what I planed out for my budget build:

i7-4790K

Corsair H100i (gonna use this until I have more $$$ for custom cooling loop)

ASUS Z97-Deluxe mobo

Corsair dominator platinum 4GB x2

Samsung 128GB 840 Pro x2 for raid 0 config

WD 1TB HDD

Gigabyte GTX 970

EVGA supernova nex 750w

NZXT H440 ATX (black/red) case

Sharkoon shark blades 120mm fans x7 (black/yellow) color

Since I planned for this to be black/gold theme, I'm going to spray paint over the red area of the H440. I've done lots of readings for the best paint job possible and noticed that some people sand their case before painting while some don't. My question is, if I want to have the gold finish that looks like the back of an iPhone 5S/6/etc.. What's the best route to take (sand or no sand)? And any good quality paint that you guys can recommend? Would orange/black might have been a better choice for a better paint result compare to red?

Additional comments, suggestions on the build are also welcome :)

Thanks guys

Get an H105 (or kraken x61 if it fits) and get better performacen for less hastle :)

Also, do you really need a 4790k? A 4690k performs almost jsut as well in games.

Sanding the case would be a lot of work, but will give a better paint finish in the end.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thanks I'll give the H105 a try. For the CPU, I do a lot of coding, video/photo editing, running database servers (sometimes for work), and other heavy works. So I figure 4790K would give me enough muscles for those tasks. Besides it's on sale for $279 at microcenter  :P. If I choose sanding the case, 800 grit would be good right? Or 220 - 400?

*bump

I found this paint online, seems like a good brand and recommended by many people: http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Cans/Montana_GOLD/Montana_GOLD_400ml/61

My question is, can this one withstand the heat coming from the graphic card? I plan on covering just a small portion of the shroud, not all of it. 

Please help guy, I looked all over the internet but haven't really got a good results for my needs yet :(

Regarding sanding, it never hurts, especially since you're considering the H440; the accents are pretty glossy. The general rule is to start with a coarser grit and step down two or three times to your final sanding. But you're dealing with small areas to sand on the H440, so it's probably not as critical. What is important, however, is what you prime the surface with. You're going with a metallic gold, which can be awfully hard to match. I would use a gray primer, and then multiple, VERY thin coats of gold until you get it right. (If you really want to be a paint nerd, add a thin base coat of glossy black on top of the gray primer.) Go to an actual paint store (or two) and get their advice on what product to use.

*bump

I found this paint online, seems like a good brand and recommended by many people: http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Cans/Montana_GOLD/Montana_GOLD_400ml/61

My question is, can this one withstand the heat coming from the graphic card? I plan on covering just a small portion of the shroud, not all of it. 

Please help guy, I looked all over the internet but haven't really got a good results for my needs yet :(

Yes that's a good choice as spray paints goes especially since it is an artist/graffiti spray paint (they also tend to have large color palettes), it also has heavier pigment to regular spray paints usually.

For concerns about heat it should not be a problem since the hottest part of the system should not exceed 100C regular paint can withstand that no issues, and as for prep work, you want to make sure you use finer 400+ grit sand paper or scotch brite to just roughen up the surface before any work is done. After be sure to clean off any dust oils etc with alcohol or prep-all (wax and grease remover) and masking before painting. For bare metals you want to use a self etching primer to start and get good adhesion but if the surface is pre-painted and the paint is in good condition you can start with the spray paint itself, no need for primer in most cases. As usual apply light and thin coats of paint letting it dry between coats following the manufacturer's recommending drying time.