IBM pays $1.5 billion to get rid of foundry business

post-75028-0-60503500-1413901314.jpg

IBM is getting rid of another part of their business, giving it to Global Foundries and paying $1.5 billion for them to keep it operational and have access to the production lines for their POWER chips, which they will keep developing.

IBM announced today that GlobalFoundries will acquire its chip manufacturing business in a deal expected to close in 2015. IBM will pay GlobalFoundries $1.5 billion over the next three years to complete the transfer but will presumably save more than that over the long haul by offloading a costly chipmaking operation.

IBM designs the chips for its Power servers and mainframe computers and will continue to invest in chip research even after outsourcing manufacturing to GlobalFoundries. IBM is continuing a previously announced $3 billion investment over five years in semiconductor technology research, and the company said that "GlobalFoundries will have primary access to the research that results from this investment through joint collaboration at the Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE), SUNY Polytechnic Institute, in Albany, NY." Additionally, GlobalFoundries will become "IBM's exclusive server processor semiconductor technology provider for 22 nanometer (nm), 14nm and 10nm semiconductors for the next 10 years."

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/struggling-ibm-pays-1-5-billion-to-dump-its-chipmaking-business/

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29689344

Edit: Since IBM supplies chips to some very serious governmental agencies, the deal will require approval by 'as many as 200 regulators worldwide' potentially delaying the deal.

http://techreport.com/news/27241/ibm-globalfoundries-deal-faces-regulatory-hurdles

Seems a bit of weird action imo

I hope IBM will still be able to run properly, I really like them

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

So they are selling it, but it's still working for them??

Why?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What's IBM income from? Chips, business PCs, servers? I'm beginning to get lost in their plans for the future.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Why?

Fabs is expensive. Thats why

Fabs is expensive. Thats why

But, isn't hiring someone else to do it just as expensive?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But, isn't hiring someone else to do it just as expensive?

No. GloFo will still manufacture for others. So the have a higher production volume, which result in lower production cost.

EDIT: This also means that IBm do not have to keep advancing their fabs which also is incredible expensive. Check out how much Intel use to advance their fabs.

The capacities they need apparently justify the continuous investment in development of new processes. It's losing money.

That said they sold their x86 server business and that was profitable.

Personally I get this sense that they want all the money to concentrate on taking over the world by investing in their artificial intellect/big data analysis development.

Let's hope that cash injection helps GloFo bring process node shrinks to market quicker increasing their revenue to enable them to continue to keep up with Intel.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Let's hope that cash injection helps GloFo bring process node shrinks to market quicker increasing their revenue to enable them to continue to keep up with Intel.

If I remember correctly, Samsung is licensing out some of their lithography technologies to GloFo (or was it TSMC (I cannot remember)).

They should be set.

IMB constantly shift focus and business using there wealth of talent to advance different areas at different times. rather then trying to stay competitive in a market they advanced to another

That's a huge risk but I can see that this department has out grown is position. Excellent choice by IBM.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I think GloFo comes out of this deal the best. I REALLY hope that it will help GloFlo with their node technology. They've always been behind the curve from Intel. IBM is probably the only monster that could match Intel's fabs atm, especially on the CISC front. GloFo getting access to that wealth of resource could help them immeasurably.

What does IBM get out of the deal? Well, they save on costs. A LOT! Running a Fab is an expensive business. They also get priority access for their own POWER architecture chips. I hope this will benefit them both, and also as an indirect benefit, I hope it helps AMD as well (Since GloFo is one of their primary Fabs).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

seems like it is essential for them to carrying on functioning with a decrease in profit announced yesterday and their stock took a 7 percent nose dive already today which is not great for them at all

I read that Introduction to Semiconductor Physics article on Anandtech recently and it really boggles my mind what lengths fabs have to go to to make features so tiny.

I'm glad I can enjoy the benefits of modern technology, but at the same time letting it get so far away from the common folk's ability to understand it is leaving them in a very powerless state, at the mercy of companies that are ruthless, infinitely more organized than individuals and in many cases above the law.

I read that Introduction to Semiconductor Physics article on Anandtech recently and it really boggles my mind what lengths fabs have to go to to make features so tiny.

I'm glad I can enjoy the benefits of modern technology, but at the same time letting it get so far away from the common folk's ability to understand it is leaving them in a very powerless state, at the mercy of companies that are ruthless, infinitely more organized than individuals and in many cases above the law.

Unfortunately, things like semiconductor physics, and microprocessor architecture and design will be out of the general public's knowledge level for decades or centuries - if ever.

The trade off of a modern, high tech society is that the average person does not know how most things work. Our society cannot work otherwise. The average person simply can't learn a working grasp of CPU fabrication.

However, I don't think we have to fear anything like the "Idiocracy" future, because while the average person doesn't learn about this stuff, we are attracting more and more people into highly skilled fields.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

So... how does IBM plan to remain relevant? Are they still relevant even now?

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

So... how does IBM plan to remain relevant? Are they still relevant even now?

lol... are you serious?

IBM is one of THE biggest players in the tech industry. They are more relevant then Samsung, unless you're looking at Mobile Phones only.

IBM doesn't play on the consumer side, because that's small time nothing for them. They are the kings of Enterprise Server environments. Not to mention, they are at the absolute forefront of Research and Development, and advanced technology. They invent many of the technologies that eventually trickle down into consumer use. They're also one of the biggest players with Quantum Computing research, and with atom based computing (They made a "movie" that said "IBM" that was literally made up of individual atoms... just because they could).

Intel and Microsoft are probably one of the few companies at least - or more - relevant then IBM. Maybe Google too since they do a lot of R&D.

Relevant to a consumer? Maybe not. But since when has that mattered? SpaceX isn't relevant to consumers, yet they're still immeasurably important to the North American economy and to current Space technology advancement.

That is one big-arse IBM logo

I just saved the first one that came up in Google image search.

Although, now that I think of it, in the spirit of the article, I should have taken a piece of it off.

Does anyone think we'll see an impact on AMD?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

From what I understand they are already set on the next manufacturing process being Samsung's 14nm.

AMD's main problem isn't GloFo's tech. It's their low performance per thread architecture.

I do, but not for a while. AMD is committed to Samsung's 14nm node for Zen (so the rumours go, etc). But I do believe we will see this helping AMD in a couple years.

From what I understand they are already set on the next manufacturing process being Samsung's 14nm.

AMD's main problem isn't GloFo's tech. It's their low performance per thread architecture.

While it isn't their "Main" problem, GloFo is always behind the curve compared to Intel, so it certainly does hurt AMD that they're always playing catch up.

lol... are you serious?

IBM is one of THE biggest players in the tech industry. They are more relevant then Samsung, unless you're looking at Mobile Phones only.

IBM doesn't play on the consumer side, because that's small time nothing for them. They are the kings of Enterprise Server environments. Not to mention, they are at the absolute forefront of Research and Development, and advanced technology. They invent many of the technologies that eventually trickle down into consumer use. They're also one of the biggest players with Quantum Computing research, and with atom based computing (They made a "movie" that said "IBM" that was literally made up of individual atoms... just because they could).

Intel and Microsoft are probably one of the few companies at least - or more - relevant then IBM. Maybe Google too since they do a lot of R&D.

Relevant to a consumer? Maybe not. But since when has that mattered? SpaceX isn't relevant to consumers, yet they're still immeasurably important to the North American economy and to current Space technology advancement.

I understand that, but you may be underestimating how much relevance to a consumer is important. 

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

I understand that, but you may be underestimating how much relevance to a consumer is important. 

For IBM? None. IBM doesn't care about the consumer, because they don't really have any consumer level products anymore. In the high tech industry and enterprise focused field that IBM lives in, the consumer is largely irrelevant.

Indirectly they are extremely relevant to the consumer though. Many of the online services we use, or the businesses we work for, run on IBM servers (We have 3 at work, for example, and they're like $30,000 servers each). Tons of websites are run off IBM servers.

Example: How relevant is BHP Billiton to consumers? A lot? A little bit? None? You mean the average consumer has never even heard of this multi billion dollar company? Yep. BHP Billiton is worth over $170 BILLION USD in market value. They're the largest mining company (as of 2014) in the world. But I challenge you to find an average consumer who's ever even heard the name before. Consumer relevance is not required for extreme and overwhelming success in your particular industry.