Why are my CPU temps so high at idle?

Go to solution Solved by Hans Christian | Teri,

Truth be told the stock cooler is pretty terrible. It's enough, but a far way from good. The reading in the BIOS is typically unreliable though (especially on Gigabyte boards from my experience) so I wouldn't worry unless HWMonitor or similar programs gives you an equally worryingly reading.

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-UP4 and an AMD Athlon X4 860k.

I built this PC today and I used the stock cooler that came with the 860k. Booting it for the first time and checking the BIOS, it's giving me around a 70º C reading.

I don't understand why it's so high at idle. The PC is usable though I'm able to get into Windows.

I have two exhaust fans above the CPU and one intake fan in the front of the case.

Make sure your cooler is applied properly with thermal paste. Also you should have more intake than exhaust (thought that shouldn't cause those temps) 

Truth be told the stock cooler is pretty terrible. It's enough, but a far way from good. The reading in the BIOS is typically unreliable though (especially on Gigabyte boards from my experience) so I wouldn't worry unless HWMonitor or similar programs gives you an equally worryingly reading.