Stuttering in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance?

Go to solution Solved by Fulgrim,

If i recall there is an issue where the game switches to your monitor's lowest refresh rate. It's daft, dunno if they patched it yet.

So, the game runs at a steady 60fps all maxed out (and it obviously should since it doesn't look that impressive), but as soon as I slice up people or they explode I have drops down to 40 or even 25 FPS...... Dropping most graphics settings doesn't do anything, only the 2 options related to the number of cut up pieces on the screen seem to affect the stuttering. I have already tried switching to high performance mode in windows so my CPU stays at 4.4 GHz all the time, but the GPU usage is just all over the place. Is this an issue with AMD GPUs (it is an "the way it's meant to be played" title after all) or is there something else going on? My R9 290 performs really well in all other games so I doubt that there is an issue with the card. Is there a known fix for this or am I stuck with the stuttering in this game? Full specs are on my profile, but an i5 4670k and an R9 290 should definitely be enough to play this game smoothly..... I run windows 8.1 and have the latest drivers for my GPU (14.9).

How come I have so much bad luck with alleged "good ports" recently? I surely can't be the only one with these issues....

If i recall there is an issue where the game switches to your monitor's lowest refresh rate. It's daft, dunno if they patched it yet.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

It doesn't switch my refresh rate around as far as I can tell, it is simply dipping to sub-30 FPS sometimes. Everything is running rock solid until I start slicing up stuff.

Weird, because I used to have that issued with my HD6950 (even in crossfire). Since then I got an R9 280 and now it keeps 60 FPS while dicing and slicing. I'm sure it's some sort of weird driver thing.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Weird, because I used to have that issued with my HD6950 (even in crossfire). Since then I got an R9 280 and now it keeps 60 FPS while dicing and slicing. I'm sure it's some sort of weird driver thing.

Okay, found the issue: Ingame AA is borked, I just have to override it via the CCC. I have a smoother experience by forcing 8xEQ super sampling than by using the ingame MSAA, lawl. Just a wild guess, but I think that the game might be trying to AA all the cut up pieces, resulting in stuttering and FPS drops. Oh well, the game now looks better AND it's smoother.