The new home "server" from an old gaming rig!

Blecter

So I had the opportunity the other week to pick up an old desktop from my parents that I use to game on in my younger years. They were not using it, so why not bring it home and play with it?

Boy, how the memories have started flooding back. 

The system in question started life in 2006 as a P4 based machine, which I believe was clocked at 3.0GHz, with some nVidia 6800 video card and whatnot. Thought it was a great system (a local computer store built it as I didn't have any good experience back then), and over the years it did us well. The 6800 was defective, which showed real fast by playing Battlefield 2, so we ended up having it replaced with a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900GT. The X1900GT worked well, but boy did she run hot. Ended up putting a Zalman air cooler on it as the single slot cooler sucked a big one. The card still ran hot, but much more manageable with the Zalman cooler.

Then the big one happened. The event that would change my computer building life forever.

Mom accidentally kicked over the tower while I was gaming. She was trying to swap over the laundry before the commercials on TV were over and kicked it while running past.

She'll never admit it though, only smirk when I mention it and deny any knowledge! Gotta love her.

The P4 gave up on life after the fall, so new parts were ordered and I was given the thumbs up to play inside the tower. The tower got the following new parts:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro

RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz, 5-5-5-18

I retained the X1900GT/450w Antec PSU/etc from the original build. Used this build for a while, then the X1900GT was replaced by a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4850. I don't remember when exactly or why. All I remember is picking Sapphire because the X1900GT had been Sapphire. Talk about not looking into other brands!

So that brings us to today. The current setup includes the following:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro

RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz, 5-5-5-18

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512mb

PSU: Antec 450w non-modular

HDD: Western Digital 640GB

Case: Some A-Open generic case

Other: LG DVD Drive and a FLOPPY DRIVE

Not too shabby for playing around with.

So what's the plan? Well, hardware-wise it is going to stay the same, however I will be adding the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo air cooler to it once my Swiftech H220-X arrives for my main rig, and I'm debating dropping one of my GTX 760's into it when I get my hands on a GTX 980 for the main rig. I'll be modding the case to improve the non-existent airflow (part of my problem with the X1900GT running hot), and painting it to make it more visually appealing. I've already been using this rig for a small Teamspeak server, and will throw some games like Minecraft on it for hosting small scale every now and them. May add more HDD's later for general storage as well.

Now to start with the pictures. As I got it (no cables or nothing):

IMG_2956.jpgIMG_2957.jpg

The case is in good shape. Next I cracker her open and a purple monster popped out! A relic from the P4 that use to reside in there.

IMG_2958.jpg

This might be a problem. Cables everywhere, and only one fan, set for intake, for airflow. Not good for heat dissipation.

IMG_2959.jpg

I've never head of this brand of fans - anyone ever use them?

IMG_2961.jpg

Dem cables I tell ya! After putting a modular PSU in my current rig I'll never go back to a non-modular one. And them IDE cables! Haha

IMG_2962.jpg

The sophisticated looking HD4850:

IMG_2964.jpg

Facepalm for cable management options...

IMG_2965.jpg

Top: Intel C2D E8400 cooler. Bottom: Intel Core i5-4670k cooler. Not much has changed in 6 years.

IMG_2966.jpg

Never again. After this goes back in the build that is:

IMG_2967.jpg

Cheap case that has a removable HDD/floppy cage. Why doesn't my modern Corsair 330R have a removable cage?

IMG_2970.jpg

She's naked:

IMG_2971.jpgIMG_2974.jpg

I loved these stickers. Not any more.

IMG_2973.jpg

And finally the core of the system:

IMG_2975.jpg

And that's it for now. Got to decide that colours I'll be going with, then I'll pop into town tomorrow to pick them up. Thinking I should have most everything done by the end of the weekend, minus the 212 Evo/possible GTX 760.

Stay tuned for more!

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

AFAIK Vantec makes HDD enclosures. That's all I've known them for. I have a NexStar 3 2.5" enclosure from them and it works, but I have no clue what their fans are like

"Rawr XD"

Its not worth It its too old let it die.

Where would the fun in that be?

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Where would the fun in that be?

Don't listen to him, I turned one of my old rigs (similar to that one) into a server for minecraft and teamspeak, works just fine.

Its not worth It its too old let it die.

It's got a Core 2 Duo it's not that bad but yea I wouldn't invest any more than $20 into the project personally. Have fun with it OP!

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

Got the case all chopped up the way I want and started priming. Need to pick up some more primer and paint later in the week to finish it off. My H220-X should be here by then too, so I'll be able to swap my 212 Evo over to this rig.

Fun little project. I loves me some time playing with my grinder/die grinder!

Those fans are actually pretty decent. And I'm interested, so I'm following this! :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I rushed home from work today to install my new H220-X into my main computer today - and totally forgot to stop for some more primer and paint for the case! It's sitting about half primed. Gah! Must get the rest of what I need tomorrow. Thinking of going black on the silver trim with a more vibrant colour for the panels/case/etc. Gonna make my "final" decision tomorrow.

But for now here's a couple pics from today. Stripped the old thermal paste off the C2D E8400 with some brake cleaner, then threw on the CM Hyper 212 Evo that came off my main rig today. Looks beastly! Gonna have to see how far I can push that E8400 in terms of OC'ing. You know, for fun and stuff! Haha

IMG_2977.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

That's a bit overkill don't ya think? jk :)

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

That's a bit overkill don't ya think? jk :)

When it comes to computers, nothing is overkill.

NOTHING.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

When it comes to computers, nothing is overkill.

NOTHING.

Haha truer words were never spoken!

Hit a few snags with the paint I've got (rattle-can Krylon! Haha) so I'm a little behind, but it's coming!