Whats currently the best price/performance mining unit?

I am researching mining and bitcoins for a school project and would like to have a mining setup. Whats the cheapest way to efficiently do so given I have the computers to support it.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Any GCN AMD GPU really.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Any GCN AMD GPU really.

Bitcoin mining with an AMD GPU at this point is like mining coal with your fists.

Sure, eventually you'll get coal, but it'll take years and it's honestly a waste of time and resources. The only thing AMD cards are good at mining are scrypt based coins, not bitcoins.

OP I don't know that much about bitcoin mining, but I've only heard good things about the antminer S1. Someone recommended it to me a while back, but I never actually bought one (decided to upgrade my peripherals instead). Might be worth looking into.

EDIT: Evidently there is now an S3+, probably want that over the S1. [Link]

//ccap

stop with the stupid coins let them die already.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Stop with the stupid coins,  let them die already.

Honesty, I love the idea that people have created a new currency that's actually widely accepted.

Bitcoin mining with an AMD GPU at this point is like mining coal with your fists.

Sure, eventually you'll get coal, but it'll take years and it's honestly a waste of time and resources. The only thing AMD cards are good at mining are scrypt based coins, not bitcoins.

OP I don't know that much about bitcoin mining, but I've only heard good things about the antminer S1. Someone recommended it to me a while back, but I never actually bought one (decided to upgrade my peripherals instead). Might be worth looking into.

EDIT: Evidently there is now an S3+, probably want that over the S1. [Link]

I'll look into those.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Honesty, I love the idea that people have created a new currency that's actually widely accepted.

it's not

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

-words m8-

You haven't seen me mine coal with my fists then...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I am researching mining and bitcoins for a school project and would like to have a mining setup. Whats the cheapest way to efficiently do so given I have the computers to support it.

If it's for a school project/demonstration, pick up the cheapest usb block erupter you can find, don't spend more than $10. The first gen of those run at incredibly slow speeds and cost far more to run than they could ever earn. But running at a loss shouldn't matter for a school project where it's being used to learn.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.