Critique this $1600 build

Crabtr

So a friend of mine is looking at getting a $1500+ build for gaming; he plays mostly CS:GO and a little Smite. A mutual friend made this build and my opinion was asked of it. Also, he cares much more about performance than he does aesthetics. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9VKsY

I gave him a few recommendations like getting a higher capacity WD Blue or Barracuda instead of the WD Black and a Corsair HX850 instead of the SeaSonic, but I'd rather ask the people that know much more than I do.

Edit: The build's suppose to be overkill. He's got the money and wants to go all out.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Thats alot of power to play games like CS:GO

I am a happy wuffy

Thats alot of power to play games like CS:GO

Wait wut? A gtx 780 to run csgo?

Oh, it's suppose to be overkill. He's got the money and wants to go all out.

"Unix was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

Go z97 and 4690k. Best to be up to date with a new build IMO. Other than that it's golden.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So a friend of mine is looking at getting a $1500+ build for gaming; he mainly plays CS:GO and a little Smite. A mutual friend made this build and my opinion was asked of it. Also, he cares much more about performance than he does aesthetics. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9VKsY

I gave him a few recommendations like getting a higher storage capacity WD Blue or Barracuda instead of the WD Black and a Corsair HX850 instead of the SeaSonic, but I'd rather ask the people that know much more than I do.

I'd say if performance is what he wants to get out of his system buy a slightly cheaper motherboard then buy a beefier cooler. Does he have sli in mind since the psu's wattage is quite high? Get the 4790K or 4690K

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Here, same performance, cheaper and a more sensible gaming build. You don't need 16GB's of 2400Mhz RAM, the EVGA GTX 780 is better, you can go Haswell Refresh and Z97, the EVGA PSU is just as good (get a smaller one if there's no SLI plans in the near future).

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($137.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.39 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($499.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1441.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 14:27 EDT-0400

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Here ya go, this one is better :3

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LHsqrH

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LHsqrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.66 @ OutletPC) 

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ Mwave) 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ TigerDirect) 

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($162.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($599.99 @ Micro Center) 

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US) 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 

Total: $1565.57

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 14:28 EDT-0400

wow, thats a lot of bees!

with all the discounts he could probable gat a 256gb ssd

I'd say if performance is what he wants to get out of his system buy a slightly cheaper motherboard then buy a beefier cooler. Does he have sli in mind since the psu's wattage is quite high? Get the 4790K or 4690K

SLI's not a current thing but maybe in the future. What cooling would you recommend instead? For clarification, I told him about closed-loop liquid cooling but he wants to stick with fans.

Oh, it's suppose to be overkill. He's got the money and wants to go all out.

There's a difference between going "all out" and wasting money in the wrong areas..

Swap out that i7 for an i5-4690K, drop the 780 down to a 770 or something more reasonable (considering the games he'll be playing), and get a larger SSD.. A larger SSD will have a much bigger improvement to everyday performance (more programs will fit on a larger drive) than having an overkill GPU that's only going to be running at 30% load or so..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

SLI's not a current thing but maybe in the future. What cooling would you recommend instead? For clarification, I told him about closed-loop liquid cooling but he want stick with fans.

You still need fans whether you're using a large air cooled heatsink or closed loop aio watercooling, something like a NH-U14/12s (if he doesn't care too much about the aesthetics then he wouldn't mind the look) corsair h105/x61 from nzxt (if you can stretch the budget.). I think evga has a 650w 80+Gold for under $60.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Get a crucial mx 100 SSD, you get 256 gb for the same price

Also get an evga supernova power supply, it's cheaper, gold rated and fully modular

Yeah why people still recommend Hyper 212's for beefy overclocking CPU's is beyond me. If he's overclocking get a NH-D14 or something similar. Also, why the original Phantom instead of one of the newer models, like the Phantom 820?

I would personally not waste all that money on a build that you won't make use of. Unless your friend is doing video rendering or 3d modeling, there is no need for 16gb of ram and an i7. A 550W is more than enough to power this system:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.66 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($78.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($165.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($436.00 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1328.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 15:25 EDT-0400

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Build is nice but it looks to be a heavy gamer and editor build if he only plays CS Go you don't need to spend this much

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

So a friend of mine is looking at getting a $1500+ build for gaming; he plays mostly CS:GO and a little Smite. A mutual friend made this build and my opinion was asked of it. Also, he cares much more about performance than he does aesthetics. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n9VKsY

I gave him a few recommendations like getting a higher capacity WD Blue or Barracuda instead of the WD Black and a Corsair HX850 instead of the SeaSonic, but I'd rather ask the people that know much more than I do.

Edit: The build's suppose to be overkill. He's got the money and wants to go all out.

If an i7 was to be included it should be the i7-4790K as that cpu has a 500MHz faster base clock.

Trident memory and the Hyper 212 EVO are not a great combination. Trident modules are tall, even with their heat sink removed. In any case, a "performance" build should be using a much better cooler.

Black & red inside a black & orange case - not to my taste. I would suggest either getting a black/orange motherboard or changing the case.

The ssd is a bit of a waste. For the same price a decent 240GB+ ssd could be used. The performance difference would not be noticeable to the user.

In a system with an ssd as the primary drive a WD Black is not worth the premium. A WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda make much more sense.

The Seasonic is a nice psu. Right now the EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR psu that is as good as the Seasonic is available at a significantly lower cost. Also a 650W or 750W would be more than enough for the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($138.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.00 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($499.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT Phantom (Black/Orange) ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1619.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 21:24 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

So this is the build he's at now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z6BsVn

Edit: He's ordering his SATA cables from Monoprice.