Thoughts on new build

=_ZeRo_=

Hi all,

Just joined the forum but have been lurking for some time.

Thinking of building a new rig as my current one will hit 3 years old in under six months time.

I will be transferring the current gpu (GTX 670 4GB) out of my current rig and using it till the new nvida gpu's come out then will upgrade it and then will want to SLI my new rig down the track also.

Any help or suggestions will be great as this is only my second time building a gaming rig.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is under $3000 AUD.

2. Aim

My main aim for this system is gaming I play all types of games such as BF4, Arma 3 right down to Minecraft.

3. Monitors

I currently have a 1080p but very shortly I plan on upgrading to a 1440p monitor even to a large monitor such as a LG 34UM95-P.

4. Peripherals

Will not be needing any new ones as I will use my current ones. Thinking of running Windows 8.1 on my new rig but not 100% sure currently have Windows 7 on my current rig and love it so not to sure.

Thoughts?

5. Why are you upgrading?

I am upgrading as I feel my current rig is getting on and I have had the upgrade bug for quite so time now ;)

Also with GTA V being released on PC soon I want to be able to play that at high settings.

I will now put up which components I am thinking of getting please feel free to suggest other things but I do want to use quality parts also keep in mind that I want to SLI down the track with nvida gpu's.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/tqb7sY

PSU Is a Seasonic XP-1200 Platinum 1200W Power Supply http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27693

Any help would be appreciated

I would suggest waiting a lil more for new cpu's memory and motherboards since you have this kind of money to spent

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

This is the kind of system that I would run in the future when I have more money. A 4790K, 16GB ram, 780 Ti SLI, H100i etc. 

Unless you want swag looking video editing rig, then get this and spend the rest 400 dollars on women and beer.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($266.00 @ CPL Online) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($138.50 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($269.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($85.50 @ Centre Com) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($85.50 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($267.50 @ Centre Com) 
Case: Corsair 760T White ATX Full Tower Case  ($246.00 @ CPL Online) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $1473.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 20:57 EST+1000

Also, if you dont like the hyperx look, get some other color or ripjaws. And only get 2 sticks.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Do you think its better to go with windows 8.1 or stick with windows 7?

Have dropped down to 8GB ram as I don't think I need 16GB for double the cost for no benefit. And have switch to a 1TB SSD.

@=_ZeRo_=,

Go with 2x8GB of memory, say Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory, instead of the 4x4GB part. Two reasons. It puts less of a strain on the memory controller. It allows for a memory upgrade without replacing modules.

I too would suggest a 1TB ssd.

The psu is far too large. Given Nvidia's recent gpu its new gpu will likely have very similar power requirements to the current 700 series. Consider getting a psu 850W - 1050W.

Windows 8.1 makes sense. It will have a longer supported lifetime and newer hardware and software will be compatible with it for a longer period.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Hi Brob,

Thanks for your reply. I am only going to get 8GB ram total now is this one okay to use? http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmd8gx3m2b2133c9

Re the psu what would be the maximum watt I would need to SLI down the track? Yes I think I will go with Windows 8.1.

Thanks again for the reply :)

The memory kit is a nice choice.

I expect a ~1000W psu would be more than enough for an overclocked sli system.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The memory kit is a nice choice.

I expect a ~1000W psu would be more than enough for an overclocked sli system.

what about the GPU, surely u cant play many games on intel HD Graphics....... 

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

I will be transferring the current gpu (GTX 670 4GB) out of my current rig and using it till the new nvida gpu's come out then will upgrade it and then will want to SLI my new rig down the track also.

thats more like it

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist