WD Black or WD Green?

Julian31NLD

hey, i'm currently searching for a new 1tb HDD because my WD Blue vibrates too much. So i was thinking about a Green of Black but i'm not shure wish one is the best, iknow that the black one is better for gaming and performance but is it also very quiet? or should i just go with the green for less vibrating/noise?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K  CPU: Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M  GPU: 2x SAPPHIRE R9 290 4GB OC Vapor-X MB: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 RAM: 2x4GB GeIL Black Dragon PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Green are quiet but very slow. Blacks are... decently fast for a HDD but will be louder than a green

Black would be worse.

Why not just buy some anti vibration mounts? Hell you can even make one with some rubber washers.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

black will probably be louder than your blue, and greens are just slow. But vibration isn't supposed to happen make sure your drive is screwed in correctly.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

black will probably be louder than your blue, and greens are just slow. But vibration isn't supposed to happen make sure your drive is screwed in correctly.

It is mounted in the HDD tray from my 450D so i cant scew it in anyway be2a2d3a523e462ed3c4c0a9a34e628b.png

Black would be worse.

Why not just buy some anti vibration mounts? Hell you can even make one with some rubber washers.

Yeah i was also thinking about that, does it reduce so much vibrating?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K  CPU: Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M  GPU: 2x SAPPHIRE R9 290 4GB OC Vapor-X MB: MSI Z97 GAMING 5 RAM: 2x4GB GeIL Black Dragon PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ Gold HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

It is mounted in the HDD tray from my 450D so i cant scew it in anyway

Yeah i was also thinking about that, does it reduce so much vibrating?

That's what they're designed to do, so I'd imagine yes.

You could always experiment with different materials. Foam. Rubber. Fabric.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's what they're designed to do, so I'd imagine yes.

You could always experiment with different materials. Foam. Rubber. Fabric.

Any recommended anti vibration mounts?

If you are bothered by the noise of a WD Blue I'm sure that a Black will be worse. To be clear the WD Black has faster read/write speeds and a 5 year warranty. The WD Greens only have a 2 year warranty (if that bothers you at all) and they will be slower (but much better now than they used to be), but they will be quieter and consume less power. They also go up to 6TB over the Black which is max 4TB right now.

If this is for a boot drive then you will probably notice the difference in speed when booting and loading things from it, but if it's for mass storage you probably won't notice the speed of the Black except in game loading times.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Hey there, Julian!

Depends on what you are planning to use this storage for.
If you are interested in the performance and speed, then WD Black is right for you. But you will need to get over the fact that it's rather noisy. If you just want to use it as mass storage and you won't be bothered by the speed of WD Green, then go with them.

@FizzyFantom also explained quite well what the difference is between the two.

However, if you plan to use it for gaming and you want high-end performance, I'd suggest to check out WD Black² dual drive as well. It is a 2.5" drive so you will need a mounting set if you are putting it in a PC. WD Black² combines the shock and vibration resistance of an SSD (120GB) with the technology of the HDD (1TB) for a reliable dual drive storage solution. The good thing about it is that it's significantly quieter, even though it is built for high-end performance. It also has 5-year warranty.
I'd recommend to take a look at it and see if it suits your needs.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Hope I was helpful by expanding your options. :)

I hope I can help with any storage issues that you may have!  ;)