HTC's One M8 now available with Windows Phone, but only on Verizon

Source

2F0A8273.jpg

In case you've wondered what a flagship Android phone would look like if it ran Windows Phone, it looks like you'll get your chance to find out. This morning, HTC officially announced that the One M8 is getting a twin brother, complete with Microsoft's OS. Make that identical twin: The Windows Phone M8 has the same smooth aluminum shell, same rounded corners, same 5-inch, 1080p display. Same Dot View Case. It even has the same camera setup, as well as the same Snapdragon 801 chip on the inside. The main difference -- aside from the fact that it runs Windows Phone 8.1 -- is that it's exclusive to Verizon here in the US, where it will go on sale today at noon for $99 on-contract. (Ed. note: not bad!) On the software side, BlinkFeed is much subtler than on the Android M8 -- it's just an app here, making it much easier to ignore if you're not into it.

Damn, if I wanted to push my OS I wouldn't want exclusivity issues holding it back.

Clearly more to it than I know.

or is there

Remember, it's like Nintendo logic. Shit just don't make sense.

...Was about to get an m8 and now im going to have to wait for this to come out over here in the UK (if it ever does) or forever regret not waiting to buy this one.

And by forever i totally mean less than two years because ill be damned if any smartphone is designed to last longer than that.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

In New York City this morning at around 10:00 am HTC reviled their HTC One M8 for Windows. Basically, HTC put the latest windows phone 8.1.1 (or update one) on the HTC One M8. This is the first time a smartphone has come with 2 different OS options.

A few answers to some questions

• The HTC One M8 for Windows is a Verizon exclusive for now (There is no official word on other markets besides US on Verizon)
  • There is HTC BlinkFeed app
  • Releases with Latest Windows Phone software 8.1.1
  • Supports Dot View Case
  • Cortana can be launched by swiping down when the dot view case is on
  • Supports all same hardware the android version does such as universal remote, and the duo cameras (built in htc camera app)
  • Goes on sale online at noon TODAY and Verizon retail stores Tomorrow (8/20/2014)

This is very good news for Windows Phones and Customers of Smartphones. First, it's another windows phone and gives customers another choice. In the future, we may see more windows phone and android being on the same devices giving tons of options. This will cut down on costs for phone devs by not needing specific phones for each OS. This will also push Windows Phone and Android to start making more innovations since they soon (in maybe 2 years or more I believe) will have very competitive OS's to choose from on the same phones.

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m8-windows/

post-5026-0-11568800-1408463298.jpg

M8, W8, the next one would probably be GR8.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I'm glad they did this. They nailed the desgin by sticking with the M8's design. Now I'm wondering if this thing can be hacked to run android.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I've not tried the Windows smartphone experience for long enough to make a comment, I do like however that Microsoft & HTC are trying/now have attempted to make something abstract. But sadly it ain't no 64 limited edition one m8's.

http://blog.htc.com/2014/08/phunk-htc-one-m8/

Handset_BlogHeader.jpg

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'm glad they did this. They nailed the desgin by sticking with the M8's design. Now I'm wondering if this thing can be hacked to run android.

It IS the HTC One M8 just running Windows Phone instead of Android.

Why would you bother? You can buy an android M8.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Please let there be an unlocked version soon. This will definitely be my next phone upgrade. Wohoo! :lol:

If this has that new Cortana thing I'm sold

Apparently it does have Cortana since the phone comes with Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 out of the box.

Not sure why anyone would want windows phone over android.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why would you bother? You can buy an android M8.

Yes I know could be a fun side project. The ability to switch from Windows Phone 8 to Android on the fly.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Not sure why anyone would want windows phone over android.

Here are some reasons.

1) They prefer the ecosystem and what it offers.

2) They don't like Google as business and don't want to support them by using their products/services.

3) They are invested in the Microsoft ecosystem such as OneDrive, Office, Skype, Xbox Music/Video service, etc.

4) They are already using Windows on their desktop/laptop and want a consistent experience to their phone.

5) Windows is about to receive Universal Apps which means you buy an app once, and get it on your phone/desktop/tablet/Xbox One - a great value proposition.

6) It may be a refreshing alternative if they been using Android and iOS for the past 5+ years.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

6) It may be a refreshing alternative if they been using Android and iOS for the past 5+ years.

That's me ! I've used iOS for 3+ years. I replaced it with a Lumia. It's cool to try different things. WP8 is better than what most people think... 

Anytime there is competition it turns out well for the end user (us).  I'm curious to see how the M8 would fit in the windows ecosystem.  I just wish they wouldn't have tied it down to Verizon.  If HTC is trying to compete with iOS why not cast a wider net?  Hopefully, It comes to the other service providers and they allow a seamless transition between OS's.