switch connected to switch

spwath

Would an Ethernet switch connected to anothere switch have any problems?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Anyone?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

are you sure it isn't a router because i currently have a router connected to a router because we have to pay extra to open up the other ports 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

no it would not. thats why a switch was invented. to not slow down traffic when you add more and more connections. you will however suffer some latency.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Would an Ethernet switch connected to anothere switch have any problems?

Long story short, no

"Rawr XD"

no it would not. thats why a switch was invented. to not slow down traffic when you add more and more connections. you will however suffer some latency.

OK. What does latency do?

Long story short, no

Good. My iMac g4 can connect at the same time as my gaming pc

in normal usage not much, in gaming, it can affect your gameplay experience

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

why bother connecting a switch to another switch? :o

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

in simple terms, Latency is just a delay. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

why bother connecting a switch to another switch? :o

A: first switch out of ports

B: 2 computers near each other, far away from first switch

it will increase your PING 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

A: first switch out of ports

B: 2 computers near each other, far away from first switch

how many ports are on the first switch? 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

it will increase your PING

OK. Does the switch our other computer do that? Will it be better if I disconnect the other computer while gaming

how many ports are on the first switch?

5 or 6, 5 I think

OK. Does the switch our other computer do that? Will it be better if I disconnect the other computer while gaming

If they are using it,at the same time yes but if they are not then no 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

5 or 6, 5 I think

you could always look at just getting an 8 port switch if you have to purchase the second one. 

you could always look at just getting an 8 port switch if you have to purchase the second one.

But I don't want to run two wires all the house like one is, I want it to split at the end

I work as a network technician at a local school district, and network mapping/load distribution is something i enjoy. Basically what i do, is figure out what switch to plug into what other switches.

No, there will be no problems. Your main router should get the network mapped fairly quickly.

Of course there are other variables, including weather switches run at level two or three in the OSI model. When you are only using two switches though, this is not an issue.

Do not worry about latency, as long as the total throughput between the switches is less than the maximum speed of any single port on the slowest switch, there should be >2ms added latency.

Edited by Judahnator

~Judah

I work as a network technician at a local school district, and network mapping/load distribution is something i enjoy. I hope i can help.

No, there will be no problems. Your main router should get the network mapped fairly quickly.

Of course there are other variables, including weather switches run at level two or three in the OSI model. When you are only using two switches though, this is not an issue.

Do not worry about latency, as long as the total throughput between the switches is less than the maximum speed of any single port on the slowest switch, there should be >2ms added latency.

OK great thanks.

I was going to say you could VLAN them aka

Main switch, each port connects to another switch that relays back to the main switch.... not really worth the effort in such a small scenario as yours. Its mostly done for security.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Main switch, each port connects to another switch that relays back to the main switch.... not really worth the effort in such a small scenario as yours. Its mostly done for security.

Does a dumb switch even have that feature?

Does a dumb switch even have that feature?

I don't think so  :unsure:

Yeah, not necisary.

First switch just has Tivo, Roku, MOm imac, Dad laptop, and the second swith.

Second switch would have my gaming pc and my imac g4

Yeah, not necisary.

First switch just has Tivo, Roku, MOm imac, Dad laptop, and the second swith.

Second switch would have my gaming pc and my imac g4

id have (if possible) your gaming PC on the first switch, to minimise latency, but then again if youre not playing competitively, youll be fine even on the second swirch