{HELP} Do I Need To Buy A New Motherboard To Install A Different CPU?

Hello Forum!

Judging by the Topic Title you can see I am wondering wether I need to purchase a new motherboard to place an Intel i5 or i7 which I am looking to buy! My exsisiting CPU isnt great so I want to install an Intel i5 or i7 but im not sure wether to do so I need to buy a new motherboard?

My Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A

I would greatly appreciate some replies on this post!

Thanks in advance!

i have rhe same mobo :)

you cant place an intel on FM2+

@Wiff The problem with my current setup is Im not getting as many frames as I would hope on games such a Minecraft, and flight simulators..

GG, those are very CPU bound games...?

I understand that, thats why im trying to find if I can get an Intel i5 or i7 onto my motherboard

-What is the maximum price you're going to pay for the MB

-Are you going to overclock

- I would say $170-200

- UK

- Probably not

Then I assume it's ATX, so that mb will fit

also I can only think about G1.Sniper for green: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_55216.html

but's Z87, if you plan to put a Haswell Refresh/DC you'll have to update BIOS. Anyway, the other mb is good.

Ok i think I will chose beetween the two MB's with that MB will I be able to place an Intel i5 or i7?

Yep, they're socket 1150. Also keep in mind that the G1.sniper has Z87 chipset, you'll need a BIOS update for Haswell Refresh and DC CPUs (i5 4460, i5 4590, i5 4690(K), i7 4790(To K),...)

To do a BIOS update do I need to do that before I buy the i5 or i7? when would I have to update it? Also can you tell me what you think of these specs for a CPU & GPU?

CPU: intel i5 4670

GPU: MSI R9 270X (Not overclocked)

And you can get a slightly lower end CPU and put your money in a 280X or something ;)

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

If you're getting a i5 4670, then you won't need a BIOS update, you're fine. For BIOS update you'll need a compatible CPU with the old BIOS version

Also I see it's a non-K CPU (multiplier locked, you won't be able to OC). So if you won't OC you'd save money getting a good H87/H97 MB like this one: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah97md3h

Ok i would think then I would get the cheaper motherboard as I dont intend on overclocking! Also is an I5 4670 a decent cpu for games which are cpu intensive?