First Build - "Project Rebel" - Complete!

Brawly

Hello all! You may have seen me lurking around the forums asking nooby questions, but if not, I'm Brawly, and I'm relatively new to the whole computer building scene. I got into it a few months ago when I was looking to upgrade my current computer (an HP Pavilion a6400f with a 9500 GT in it..), and I read up on building computers. Being the crafty person that I am, I followed up on it and got to know my way around processors, then video cards, then eventually I became pretty well-rounded in computers, enough to build my own to my wants and needs. To say some personal things about myself, I'm starting college in the fall, in which I will be majoring in Civil Engineering, and I hope (really hope) to design roller coasters as a career. I'm an avid roller coaster enthusiast and a pretty big Star Wars fan, hence the name and theme of my build. So enough with that, here's some specs (most of which are final, but some may change purely due to sales and such) and what I have already.

pX8bT7A.jpg?1

This build will be themed after Luke Skywalker's and other Rebel pilot's suits, such as the one shown in the banner above. That means there will be a lot of white and orange in this build, with some black (which is hard to get away from anyway) and blue.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k

GPU: Gigabyte Windforce Radeon R9 280X OC

MoBo: ASRock Z97 Pro3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz LP in White

PSU: EVGA NEX650 G

Case: NZXT Phantom 240

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo

Case Fans: Cougar Turbine 120mm x4

This is my order that I recently placed from Performance-PCs, which consists of cable extensions, LEDs, and fan accessories.

pyhOTQa.png

I plan on spray painting those fan grills a flat white, which I think will look good and add on to the theme. I already purchased the paint, Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch paint and primer.

I also ordered this baby for $120 after MIR:

5ss0FEQ.png

23 inch, 1ms, 1080p, and it's white!

And here's what I got from my local TigerDirect.com store today!

aWaxe7o.jpg?3

I know this probably seems like an average (or even below average, without a custom loop or anything special like that) build, but I'd love to get your guys' opinions and feedback. Keep in mind this is sort of a budget build, which I've already gone over budget slightly on.. I'm going to be ordering the rest of the parts soon, and it's then that this project will really start to roll!

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product

except for the monitor which i would cancel and instead buy a 24" IPS for the better colors, it looks just fine to me, tho i have my doubts about fans called "turbine"....

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

A real rebel would have a bright green motherboard. :P

Subbed.

except for the monitor which i would cancel and instead buy a 24" IPS for the better colors, it looks just fine to me, tho i have my doubts about fans called "turbine"....

Here's the link to the fans, they seem to have rather good specs. I was considering taking those apart and painting the casings white as well. As far as the monitor goes, I was pretty sold on the whole white thing.. though an IPS monitor does sound intriguing.

A real rebel would have a bright green motherboard.  :P

Subbed.

If only this rebel had more money! I would've loved to make a "Jedi Luke" kinda build, black and green. Thanks!

Looks epic i wish i could a custom loop in my upcoming case mod of the shinobi :(

Steve

Looks epic i wish i could a custom loop in my upcoming case mod of the shinobi :(

I was considering the windowed white Shinobi for this build, but I wanted a case with a white mobo tray as well as white exterior. If it wasn't impossible to find a white windowed Comrade anywhere, I would use that case.

I was considering the windowed white Shinobi for this build, but I wanted a case with a white mobo tray as well as white exterior. If it wasn't impossible to find a white windowed Comrade anywhere, I would use that case.

Im doing my own window so im buying a none windowed version. im gonna use tin snips to cut it out and thin acrylic 2mm

Steve

sounds like a good spec system, now we are thirsty for lots of HD pics :P

got to love Asus components

Look what I got in the mail today! Free shipping and it took 2 days, I'm extremely impressed.

GOSsSO0.jpg?1

ab3jMOH.jpg?1

I have it hooked up to my 9500 GT right now, audio isn't working though. It might be because of the HDMI-DVI cable I'm using with the addition of an audio cable, but I'm not sure. The picture is very good though. Can't wait to see it on the 280X.

Okay guys, I'm at a crossroad. I have yet to order my case, along with other important components, but I was thinking about doing something a bit drastic, and I'd like some opinions. Should I, A: Stick with the Phantom 240, or B: Acquire a Corsair Carbide Spec-03 with the Orange accents, paint it white (Mobo tray and all), and then sand the edges a bit to get that "weathered" look? I'm pretty good with a spray can, I plasti-dipped my rims a month or two ago and they look good, so I think I'd be fine with a case. Opinions?

Okay guys, I'm at a crossroad. I have yet to order my case, along with other important components, but I was thinking about doing something a bit drastic, and I'd like some opinions. Should I, A: Stick with the Phantom 240, or B: Acquire a Corsair Carbide Spec-03 with the Orange accents, paint it white (Mobo tray and all), and then sand the edges a bit to get that "weathered" look? I'm pretty good with a spray can, I plasti-dipped my rims a month or two ago and they look good, so I think I'd be fine with a case. Opinions?

Do corsair for sure. Sounds like it would look really cool. 

SYSTEM: AMD FX-6300, 8GB Corsair Vengeance ram, Gigabyte Windforce 760, 1TB HDD, CoolerMaster HAF 912 case, Hyper 212 evo w/ Noctua.

PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Tournament 2014, Zowie FK1, ASUS 1080p monitor, Sennheiser HD 558. 

Do corsair for sure. Sounds like it would look really cool. 

I'm seriously considering it, but I'm afraid of messing up on the case. I know it's a cheap case but I can't really afford to buy a new one. But it would look really awesome, and I think fit the theme better.

Anyway, another package today!

SnvBV3E.jpg

Once again, really impressed with the shipping on this one. Performance-PCs.

orTUWXH.jpg?1

A bit blurry but you get the idea.

26HRjIy.jpg?1

nJRSsNe.jpg

gn7xB5j.jpg

Really pleased with how solid these grills feel, considering they were like $1.50 a piece.

Next step is to paint those grills, and order more parts!

i really like the orange color on those extensions.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

i really like the orange color on those extensions.

Yeah, I do too, I'm satisified as to how close it matches the orange I was going for. Can't wait to see it in the case

Thanks guys! I went and painted the grills a flat white, and I will be putting them over the two top fans, the rear fan, and the CPU cooler fan which I will be replacing with an orange Cougar.

aHC94qa.jpg?1

And here's my fan layout, brought to you by my excellent Paint skills:

HWwZ7x9.jpg

The orange blocks represent the orange Cougar 120's that I will be installing, and the black are the stock NZXT case fans, which I'll be leaving in the front since you won't be able to see them anyway. 6 fans in this bad boy!

Looks interesting ... must stick around and see!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

Only thing left is the 280X! I'll probably end up building without the GPU and getting all my files and stuff transferred and all that kinda stuff until I receive the card. Can't wait!

Neither can I!!!

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |

-awesome ram snips-

Only thing left is the 280X! I'll probably end up building without the GPU and getting all my files and stuff transferred and all that kinda stuff until I receive the card. Can't wait!

Cannot wait! :)

pX8bT7A.jpg?1

Case came in! This thing feels sturdy as hell, though there are a few scratches on the front bezel from shipping or packing or whatever I assume. Other than that and some screws being goofy, I love it! I might go and use some glass paint and go over the NZXT logo on the PSU shroud in orange. Rest of my parts save the GPU come tomorrow!

ZvRAYQ4.jpg?1

Pm1b4z5.jpg?1

pZMrOgW.jpg?1

fV8uXiD.jpg?1

OcPNrbD.jpg?1

p4HOQHv.jpg?1ltM1DKm.jpg?1

zSxMpSi.jpg?1

CyzdXWX.jpg?1

ty1KlC1.jpg?2

pX8bT7A.jpg?1

The rest of the parts arrived today from Newegg, and I'm posting from Rebel as we speak. She's all built and running smoothly, apart from the GPU; my old 9500 GT, which will be replaced ASAP with the 280X. The build went pretty well, and my temps look decent, I hit 60 playing FIFA, but I'm not sure how much load that puts on the CPU. Frankly I'm afraid to run Prime95 or anything, but I'm sure I will soon. Anyway, here's some pics.

S0tFd7l.jpg?1

dTpWdVg.jpg?1

ZeC0xN3.jpg?1

D70NA6u.jpg?1

Uk0ccxq.jpg?1

199Ohuj.jpg?1

svcsiYS.jpg?1

MKZ9d9k.jpg?1

4luGikX.jpg?1

DJk3wav.jpg?1

chZ8TW5.jpg?1

n2Pr9gs.jpg?1