My thoughts on going from 1440p to 4k and back to 1440p.

Izaya Orihara

So let's start this with a history lesson. 

I used to use PA279Q when I did build my rig. (Exact same as on my profile but I used 2x 780ti's and it wasn't watercooled yet.) Then about 6 months ago I got a Dell UP2414Q. ' A 4k IPS 24 inch monior?! For 1200€?!' Instant buy. I gave my PA279Q to my girlfriend and did setup my UP2414Q. I was shocked how sharp everything was. THAT PPI! But also how tiny stuff was... Also how I need much more Vram. I went out and sold my 780ti's. I got myself two Titan Blacks. I had 2000€ of GPU power... Still I couldn't max out most of my games... I was mad. 

I got used to it after sometime. It just wasn't what I expected.  

Then DEATH! My UP2414 had 34 pixels die. 34! (Don't get me wrong. It's a great monitor I just had a faulty unit) I went to the store I got it from and something cool happend. They didn't have one anymore. I got my full 1200€ back. It now costs 700€ :) So that's that. I stole one of my girlfriend PA279Q (She bought two extra ones after she got mine) 

and it's kinda great. The extra screen real estate is great and text is sharp I miss my extra ppi tho. Also gaming on this montior is great. I can cranck up every single game to the max and have 60+ fps. Even Crysis 3. It's a blast. It just feels like I found a reason to pay as much for my GPU's.  Now that I have Titan Blacks tho and 1440p does not push further than 3gb except for my Skyrim that uses 4,5 GB of Vram (Screw Vanilla. 150 mods.) I kind feel stupid... But it's 'future-proof' 

TDLR:
Do I recommend 4k? No. Why? The GPU's aren't there. The price isn't low enough. Software needs to catch up. (scaling) Gaming at 4k does not feel as baller. 

I hope this helps you  to decide wheter or wheter not you want to go for 4k now. I don't recommend it. But it's your call. 

Peace :) 

I don't like 4K because of the way most OSes handle it. Even OS X has it down.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I had sort of surmised this from what I've read to date, but it's cool to hear an actual account.

So as a question for you, when you YOU think  GPUs will have the horsepower to max 4k?

I agree.

There are so many problems with 4K right now, it's kind of annoying... 

for instance everything on the screen is tiny and scaling is just terrible in most operating systems right now, and it's very demanding run to games maxed at that resolution even with some of today's fastest GPUs.

All these things should be solved in the near future, but right now that's just how it is unfortunately.

So as a question for you, when you YOU think  GPUs will have the horsepower to max 4k?

That depends. Do you mean a bleeding edge SLI/Crossfire setup or do you mean a single highend GPU? Or do you mean when cards like the equivalent of the 750ti will have the power to do ti.

For an SLI/Crossfire setup I'd say GTX 900 Series and whaterever AMD has. For a single card I'd say around the GTX 1200 series. A budget card should do it in 8 years. 

I will not switch to 4K untill Windows 9 comes, If microsoft doesn't fix all the resolution issues they failed BIG time, even android scales better...

Interested in Business and Technology

That depends. Do you mean a bleeding edge SLI/Crossfire setup or do you mean a single highend GPU? Or do you mean when cards like the equivalent of the 750ti will have the power to do ti.

For an SLI/Crossfire setup I'd say GTX 900 Series and whaterever AMD has. For a single card I'd say around the GTX 1200 series. A budget card should do it in 8 years.

Oh god, and you're usually right about things.

I agree somewhat. I should've got Titan Blacks as well. I occasionally connect to my UHD TV,  because I can only display 30fps until an HDMI 2.0 adapter surfaces. I wouldn't go with a 4K monitor, the TV is where it's at. 4K, to me, is the best for larger screens. From the couch, I get similar resolution quality as sitting at my desk. I don't mind the scaling of Windows.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I have a similar experience with 4K, except I've just set my UD590 to 1440p since nothing can handle 4K decently yet, and my eyesight is too terrible to read text at 4k

I used to think my single 780ti could do it, but I didn't have a means of checking what my framerates were at that time. Two 780Ti's isn't all that great for 4k gaming either.