What is Your Favorite GPU Chipset Manufacturer?

Ryan Leech

What is your favorite GPU chipset maufacturer?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

nvidia and msi or evga are my favorite brands :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I always get the best MSI card there is for the price point I'm looking in.

The one that offers the best performance for each dollar spent at any given time.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I do bitcoin mining & the performance on the Nvidia side is just not there, so I chose AMD.

Their cards have more RAM as well which improves Litecoin mining too, so that's great.

I love Nvida. As you can see in my current build I use an AMD card. However, I have done my research, and I love the CUDA architecture and love its epic support in Adobe CS6 Creative Suite, especially in Premier Pro with the Mercury Playback Engine. Also, even though AMD gets more frames with the 7970 ghz edition, they are quantative frames, while nvidia has technologies where they output quality frames, with NO frame latency issues.

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

winny3141, on 14 May 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

I love Nvida. As you can see in my current build I use an AMD card. However, I have done my research, and I love the CUDA architecture and love its epic support in Adobe CS6 Creative Suite, especially in Premier Pro with the Mercury Playback Engine. Also, even though AMD gets more frames with the 7970 ghz edition, they are quantative frames, while nvidia has technologies where they output quality frames, with NO frame latency issues.

What if AMD Radeon HD has quality frames that are faster. What if nvidia pump out propaganda to make people think that there is something wrong with AMD GPUs. What if there was nothing wrong with AMD GPUs. Seems just to convenient that when AMD Radeon HD starts to really pull ahead from nvidia that all this hype just starts to surface outta nowhere about frame times and "Tom Peterson" is at the head of it leading the way LOL.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Until AMD blows me away with a lot of support for third party apps I am going to have to go Nvidia, as for the card makers gonna go with Gigabyte and MSi

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

What if AMD Radeon HD has quality frames that are faster. What if nvidia pump out propaganda to make people think that there is something wrong with AMD GPUs. What if there was nothing wrong with AMD GPUs.

According to Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective, featured on the livestream, he claimed that in CrossFireX senerios, AMD cards have horrible frame latency when compared to that of Nvidia cards. This is because Nvidia cards have Hardware Frame Metering.

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

According to Ryan Shrout from PC Perspective, featured on the livestream, he claimed that in CrossFireX senerios, AMD cards have horrible frame latency when compared to that of Nvidia cards. This is because Nvidia cards have Hardware Frame Metering.

Well good thing most people have nothing to do with muti GPU setups woohoo my AMD Radeon HD GPU is faster.

You're wrong on a few accounts there winny, Adobe has dropped CUDA support for their Adobe CS6 Creative Suite & is implementing OpenCL for AMD.

Also what you're saying about the 7970 Ghz is very misleading, as things stand right now the 7970 Ghz outputs less frames than the Titan, but those frames are of higher quality & more consistency than the Titan.

As you can see on this graph, while the 7970 is outputting less frames than the Titan, those frames are more consistent & stable with no dropped frames or runts.

You can see that the orange line representing the 7970 is tighter & smoother with no spikes or stutters.

Unlike the green line for the Titan where you can see that the frame rate is higher (Lower frame time = higher FPS) but there is a clear number of lag spikes & stutters that interrupt the smooth animation of the game & negatively affects the gaming experience.

a_singleGPU%20%284%29.png

So even though the Titan is faster overall, honestly it should be faster since it costs 250% more than the 7970, the 7970 is smoother & more consistent.

You can compare the 7970 to the slightly more expensive 680 2GB as well & the even more expensive 680 4GB.

Where it gets really worrying for Nvidia, the 7970 is not only faster than those two, it's also significantly smoother.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15745-nvidia-admits-were-falling-behind-on-the-frame-rate-race/?p=177619

The latency issue you're talking about is only present on crossfire when you use two cards together & even that is being improved as we speak with AMD's new HeartBeat™ Technology ,

Vsync-3.png

-GPUXPert

You're wrong on a few accounts there winny, Adobe has dropped CUDA support for their Adobe CS6 Creative Suite & is implementing OpenCL for AMD.

Also what you're saying about the 7970 Ghz is very misleading, as things stand right now the 7970 Ghz outputs less frames than the Titan, but those frames are of higher quality & more consistency than the Titan.

As you can see on this graph, while the 7970 is outputting less frames than the Titan, those frames are more consistent & stable with no dropped frames or runts.

You can see that the orange line representing the 7970 is tighter & smoother with no spikes or stutters.

Unlike the green line for the Titan where you can see that the frame rate is higher (Lower frame time = higher FPS) but there is a clear number of lag spikes & stutters that interrupt the smooth animation of the game & negatively affects the gaming experience.a_singleGPU%20(4).png

So even though the Titan is faster overall, honestly it should be faster since it costs 250% more than the 7970, the 7970 is smoother & more consistent.

You can compare the 7970 to the slightly more expensive 680 2GB as well & the even more expensive 680 4GB.

Where it gets really worrying for Nvidia, the 7970 is not only faster than those two, it's also significantly smoother.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/15745-nvidia-admits-were-falling-behind-on-the-frame-rate-race/?p=177619

The latency issue you're talking about is only present on crossfire when you use two cards together & even that is being improved as we speak with AMD's new HeartBeat™ Technology ,Vsync-3.png

-GPUXPert

Dude, obviously you know a lot about video cards, and I admire that. Now, I just wanted to point out that OpenCL will NOT be incorporated into CS6, rather the next version of Adobe creative suite. And CS6 still has CUDA integration at the time this is being posted.

Sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Adobe-AMD-Premiere-FirePro-OpenCL,21872.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/photoshop-cs6.html

Dude, obviously you know a lot about video cards, and I admire that. Now, I just wanted to point out that OpenCL will NOT be incorporated into CS6, rather the next version of Adobe creative suite. And CS6 still has CUDA integration at the time this is being posted.

Sources:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Adobe-AMD-Premiere-FirePro-OpenCL,21872.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/photoshop-cs6.html

What I meant was that Adobe will no longer develop for CUDA, I guess I just word it badly. & thank you.

What I meant was that Adobe will no longer develop for CUDA, I guess I just word it badly. & thank you.

Actually, Adobe will still continue support for CUDA. They are just adding support for OpenCL starting on the next version of Adobe Premiere.

Taking place next week is the National Association of Broadcasters’ annual trade show, NAB 2013. Though most of the announcements coming out of NAB are for highly specialized products – rackmount video encoders, broadcast-quality software, etc – there are usually a few announcements applicable to the wider world. And Adobe and AMD are getting the jump on one of them with an early announcement of OpenCL support for Premiere Pro.

Premiere Pro is Adobe’s popular non-linear video editor (NLE), which in version CS5 (2010) added support for a collection of GPU-accelerated effects with Adobe’s Mercury Playback Engine. However at the time support was limited to NVIDIA cards due to the use of CUDA, leaving AMD out in the cold, due in part to the fact that Adobe was not satisfied with the state of OpenCL at the time. On the Mac this changed somewhat in CS6 when Adobe added OpenCL support for some (but not quite all) effects, while the PC version of CS6 continued to be CUDA powered.

Jumping forward, with the yet-to-be named upcoming version of Premiere Pro – currently dubbed Premiere Pro CS Next – Adobe is bringing broader OpenCL support to the Windows market, and in effect finally enabling hardware processing on AMD GPUs. As is often the case, AMD has been working directly with Adobe to get OpenCL integrated into Premiere Pro, and in fact today’s announcement comes by the way of AMD rather than Adobe. Adobe for their part isn’t saying much about Premiere Pro Next at this time – traditionally Adobe saves that for their own events – but at a minimum it looks like OpenCL is coming to parity with CUDA (or close enough). Though with Adobe consistently working to expand their usage of GPU processing and having more than a year to work with AMD’s GCN architecture, it will be interesting to see if Premiere Pro CS Next will add support for new effects, on top of OpenCL support for their existing GPU accelerated effects.

Anyhow, for AMD this is of course a big deal. While some other NLEs like Sony Vegas have supported hardware accelerated effects with their cards for some time, Premiere Pro represents a sizable part of the NLE market that they were previously locked out of. Especially since this lets AMD leverage their APU advantage, including both the consumer A-series and the rarely mentioned FirePro APUs. That the A-series is being supported is actually a big deal in and of itself since Premiere Pro CS6’s CUDA path only officially supports a small number of high-end NVIDIA consumer cards, so this marks a major broadening of support on Adobe’s part.

Finally, AMD has a blog up offering a sneak peek at performance, though as with any vendor-published benchmarks it should be taken with a grain of salt. Performance aside, it’s interesting to note that it looks like Adobe will be keeping their CUDA code path, as AMD’s test configurations indicate that the NVIDIA cards are using the CUDA code path even on Premiere Pro Next. Having separate code paths is not all that unusual in the professional world, as in cases like these it means each GPU family gets an optimized code path for maximum performance, but it does mean Adobe is putting in extra work to make it happen.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6881/opencl-support-coming-to-adobe-premiere-pro-for-windows

Actually, Adobe will still continue support for CUDA. They are just adding support for OpenCL starting on the next version of Adobe Premiere.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6881/opencl-support-coming-to-adobe-premiere-pro-for-windows

Like I said, they will no longer develop for CUDA, they'll just keep the existing code path as there is no point of throwing it away.

Like I said, they will no longer develop for CUDA, they'll just keep the existing code path as there is no point of throwing it away.

Nothing on the article says they will stop developing for CUDA. Adobe also has not made a press releasing saying so.

each GPU family gets an optimized code path for maximum performance

^That line suggests otherwise.

Nothing on the article says they will stop developing for CUDA. Adobe also has not made a press releasing saying so.

^That line suggests otherwise.

That's just well-intentioned speculation coming from the author of the article.

Here is what Adobe themselves had to say :

The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

MGE is new to Photoshop CS6, and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

In order to use MGE, you must have a supported video card and updated driver. If you do not have a supported card, performance will be degraded. In most cases the acceleration is lost and the feature runs in the normal CPU mode. However, there are some features that will not work without a supported video card.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4289204

That's just well-intentioned speculation coming from the author of the article.

Here is what Adobe themselves had to say :

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4289204

Nice! This'll start evening the playing field. NVIDIA only fully supports OpenGL and not OpenCL.

This is what I want to see with a debate/discussion. Facts and sources. Not just people using bias to defend their position.

Good job!  B)

Nice! This'll start evening the playing field. NVIDIA only fully supports OpenGL and not OpenCL.

This is what I want to see with a debate/discussion. Facts and sources. Not just people using bias to defend their position.

Good job!  B)

Thank you ? lol

Thank you ? lol

No sarcasm there. I'm genuinely grateful to learn something new. I just got irritated at some people that kept arguing their cause without ever providing anything that would support their stance.

Unlike the green line for the Titan where you can see that the frame rate is higher (Lower frame time = higher FPS) but there is a clear number of lag spikes & stutters that interrupt the smooth animation of the game & negatively affects the gaming experience.

The latency issue you're talking about is only present on crossfire when you use two cards together & even that is being improved as we speak with AMD's new HeartBeat™ Technology ,

-GPUXPert

What you really want to look at for smoothness is the frame time variance graph. This graph shows the frame time differences (y-axis) of a running average of up to 20 frames back (x-axis). The lower the plot line, the better smoothness and quality of animation. This graph basically shows the results of the calculations which do the same thing as you are trying to do when you compare the thickness of the frame time lines ;)

You'll find it near the bottom here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-Dissected-Full-Details-Capture-based-Graphics-Performance-Test-2

Unfortunately PcPer didn't do a comparison between the 7970 and the Titan in that article, but Ryan had a graph in that video with the nVidia guy

http://youtu.be/2cH_ozvn0gA?t=20m27s (note that above the 90th percentile, variances are natural and doesn't represent stuttering.)

As you can see, both the Titan and the 680 outperform the 7970. Not by much, I won't say it's a big victory or anything, but it does mean that your visual interpretation of those graphs is wrong. To my mind, single gpu solutions seem so even that there's really no point in comparing them at frame time variance

Edit: Yeah, it's getting late. I blame incoherent text on that fact. I'm sure you'll get my drift if you try hard enough ;)