@Euros and other foreigners, do you have buffering issues with youtube/netflix?

Sammael

I ask because I've been arguing with some of the counter narrative of Dan Rayburn from streamingmedia about the spat between netflix and verizon.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/06/netflix-isp-newdata.html

His contention is that it's basically netflix fault and not verizon that there are buffering issues, that netflix could have and should have chosen different transit partners to get their video streaming traffic to verizon customers since the ones they chose did not have enough capacity.  Rather than focus on the verizon side and ask why verizon allowed their lanes into their network become saturated, he places most of the blame on netflix for not paying more money to use less congested transit paths.

And then I had a question.  Do Europeans by and large have the same sorts of buffering issues with netflix (where available) or youtube?

Please tell us all below, and list country of origin and your speeds from your ISP.  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Here in the Netherlands i have 100mb/s up and down. 

and no problem with netflix or youtube.

i even use a proxy for american netflix and still no lag or buffering issues

Netflix: No problems

Youtube: No problems

ISP: Telenet

Speeds paid for: 120/8 Mbps

Speeds getting: 190/10 Mbps

Not that I have noticed.

I've tested 2 different connection and bot work fine, even though the other one is quite slow.

ISP is Elisa and the sped is about 12/0,8. Paid for 24/2

the other connection is I think Saunalahti and it's about 30/2. Paid for I think 40/5

And country is Finland.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

No, throttling of wired connections is basically illegal over here. If a provider would be found throttling, they would be out of business in no time. There are simply so many other good providers to choose from that each and every one of them has to do their best.

Connection details:

Paying for 100\100

Getting 150\~600

Cheers,

Linus

Netflix: No problems
Youtube: No problems

ISP: YouSee (TDC)
Speeds paid for: 60/12 Mbps
Speeds getting: 68/13 Mbps

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

foreigners?.. 

i don't use Netflix but i have a horrible youtube exprience and pretty much problems with anything and everything related to browsing the interwebs.. and i have a 20/20 fiber connection, it's so horrifyingly laughably slow it's just silly.

Isp: telenor 

Interesting, Norway seems to be an outlier so far.  Either gutter level slow speeds with no specific video streaming slow downs, or decent speeds but horrible youtube traffic slowdowns.

Norway of all places ?!??  Don't you all have that sovereign wealth oil fund to give santa clause like freebies to the entire society?  What is going on?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

No problems at all.

I have an unthrottled 16Mb/s down connection. Runs 1080p on both Netflix / YouTube perfectly. I'm in the UK

It's important to note that a 1080p stream from Netflix has a bit rate of about 6mb/s. Which is pretty low, all streaming services or Web bought downloads tend to overcompress the shit out of video.

My connection can handle at least two concurrent streams. And it's pretty slow. So yeah

No problem with youtube, for netflix I cannot say because netflix has not yet expanded into Germany

If any ISP was throtteling here, there would be so many lawsuits. ISPs aren't even allowed to advertise with "up-to" speeds any more.If the add says 25Mb/s, you will be getting 25Mb/s

As for me, I don't have any problem with Netflix, Youtube or any other similar service.

ISP: Gigabit
Speed: 1Gb/s up and 1Gb/s down

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I ask because I've been arguing with some of the counter narrative of Dan Rayburn from streamingmedia about the spat between netflix and verizon.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/06/netflix-isp-newdata.html

His contention is that it's basically netflix fault and not verizon that there are buffering issues, that netflix could have and should have chosen different transit partners to get their video streaming traffic to verizon customers since the ones they chose did not have enough capacity.  Rather than focus on the verizon side and ask why verizon allowed their lanes into their network become saturated, he places most of the blame on netflix for not paying more money to use less congested transit paths.

And then I had a question.  Do Europeans by and large have the same sorts of buffering issues with netflix (where available) or youtube?

Please tell us all below, and list country of origin and your speeds from your ISP.  

ISP: Flowtrinidad

Speed: 10Mbps down 2Mbps up

I have no problems with buffering on Netflix, youtube or any other online videos.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

His contention is that it's basically netflix fault and not verizon that there are buffering issues, that netflix could have and should have chosen different transit partners to get their video streaming traffic to verizon customers 

That is the entire point of net neutrality: somebody like Verizon directly or indirectly dictating who you do business with on both sides of the connection cannot be trusted at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah I'm in Uk and streaming 1080p YouTube is not possible 90% of the time and sometimes even 720p is too much

Gaming rig: CPU: I5-2500K GPU: EVGA 660TI 3GB SC+ RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengence 1600MHz SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo Keyboard: Razer Black Widow ultimate Mouse: Logitech MX Master Monitor: 2x Acer 21.5 inch

Laptop Dell 7559: CPU: i7-6700HQ GPU: GTX 960M 4GB RAM: 8GB 1600MHz

Yeah I'm in Uk and streaming 1080p YouTube is not possible 90% of the time and sometimes even 720p is too much

Have you tried disabling DASH playback? It really destroys streaming on youtube, by disabling it and pausing for maybe 10 seconds at the very start of the video you'll likely get to see those videos fine it's just a matter of getting over a crappy ping and allow for a continuous stream.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Youtube and twitch work fine (I don't use Netflix). Sometimes 720+ on recently uploaded videos takes much longer to load but it comes back to normal in an hour or something.

ISP: I don't think any of you guys would care

Speed: 100/100Mbps

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

What does netflix say about the speed requirements for 1080p streaming?

Anyway

Netflix: sadly,not available in Greece

Youtube: no problem at 1080p,even 1440p whatsoever.

Speed: paying 23 euros for unlimited 24/1, getting 10/0.9

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!