144hz TN vs 1440p IPS

Just before I lay down 600 odd bucks on a monitor.

Which is better for GAMING, I do a small amount of 3D model work as a hobby, but I'm no enthusiast. I game on a 7970. I know linus raves 1440p IPS, but quite a few gaming channels highly highly recommend 144 and 120hz monitors.

Which IN YOUR OPINION is better. Which do you use?

Links to an Australian store would be helpful.

Edits - I run most my games a fair way over 60

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

do you have a computer that runs your stuff at 144 fps? if not get the IPS

but a GOOD TN panel is "best" for gaming, not for normal gaming tho

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

do you have a computer that runs your stuff at 144 fps? if not get the IPS

I run most my games a fair way over 60

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I REALLY REALLY disagree. A GOOD 144hz TN panel may be best for competitive shooters... But for the rest of gaming? Ehh no.. Comes down to preference, are you willing to give up color accuracy for 144hz? Are you willing to give up 144hz and low response time (which really anything below 8ms doesnt matter) for better color reproduction? Personally I go for the color reproduction.

Yes I know there are some good TN panels, but there are also some great IPS/PLS.

Honestly though I would go 1440p IPS/PLS > TN 144hz 10/10 times. But that is my preference.

And yes I have used both for an extended period of time.

I prefer a nice IPS panel over a 120/144Hz TN. I find that the response rate difference is so very marginal and is not noticed so better colours is the way I go. PCCG, Mwave, Centre Com and Scorptech are all good, I don't know any specific monitor you should consider so I can help you out there.

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

TN: fast response time, high refresh rate, lack of good colors on SOME monitors.

IPS: great colors, 60hz, possible to have backlight bleed, great viewing angles...

Your choice.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

I am a 1440p IPS (actually PLS) convert

Never going back, frankly at a consistant 60fps I find it looks really really smooth, and the image quality is amazing, like literally amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would go for the 1400p IPS even for gaming, it just looks better

Get one that has a stand which you can rotate vertically so you can use that as a second monitor in the future

TN monitors are pretty good too and dont hurt your eyes as much as IPS (the ones with non-reflective matte screens are the best)

hellooooooooo

I prefer a nice IPS panel over a 120/144Hz TN. I find that the response rate difference is so very marginal and is not noticed so better colours is the way I go. PCCG, Mwave, Centre Com and Scorptech are all good, I don't know any specific monitor you should consider so I can help you out there.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21516

Thats the one I was about to drop some money on.

What sort of games do you play?

RPG's. Lot's and lots of RPG's. Indie, small amount of FPS, sims, racing games.

TN: fast response time, high refresh rate, lack of good colors on SOME monitors.

IPS: great colors, 60hz, possible to have backlight bleed, great viewing angles...

Your choice.

I'm asking your opinion, I'm on the fence about it. I don't know if I want fast response or awesome colour.

I'm asking your opinion, I'm on the fence about it. I don't know if I want fast response or awesome colour.

IPS monitors are usually around 5 ms response time, so that's not a biggie. After using my IPS monitors for such a long time, I find it difficult to go back to tn. The colors alone are worth going for IPS.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

The way I'm thinking about it is that 120/144Hz monitors are really best suited to FPS players, that's where I think you would get the most benefit, but I'm not sure if you would be capping off or getting close to 120/144 fps in modern titles on high settings with your set up. More than 60, but still not taking full advantage of it. 

1440p you will take a hit also but I think it would be more enjoyable. You would be getting the most out of it on a lot more games.

Based on this I would say 1440p might be a better choice. Compare benchmarks to the games you play though!

I REALLY REALLY disagree. A GOOD 144hz TN panel may be best for competitive shooters... But for the rest of gaming? Ehh no.. Comes down to preference, are you willing to give up color accuracy for 144hz? Are you willing to give up 144hz and low response time (which really anything below 8ms doesnt matter) for better color reproduction? Personally I go for the color reproduction.

Yes I know there are some good TN panels, but there are also some great IPS/PLS.

Honestly though I would go 1440p IPS/PLS > TN 144hz 10/10 times. But that is my preference.

so you REALLY REALLY agree with me :/

144hz is nice but doesn't last as newer games will push your system harder and you wont get to that frame rate

high resolution ips is always sweet regardless of what it is your doing. 

in any case good colour reproduction and higher resolution is better for all games other than twitch 

higher resolution has the dual benefit of greater screen real estate. 

so you REALLY REALLY agree with me :/

What? You said that a good TN is the best for gaming. I disagree with that for everything except for competitive shooters.

if i were to buy a monitor today ,from those 2 options i would choose 1440p IPS for sure

What? You said that a good TN is the best for gaming. I disagree with that for everything except for competitive shooters.

did you not read more than 9 of the words of what you quoted? You quoted "but a GOOD TN panel is "best" for gaming, not for normal gaming tho"

I've got both. Unfortunately I bought the XL2420T before I bought the P278Q. Otherwise I'd have two 1440p ones. Go for the 1440p monitor. It's an immense difference in quality compared to crappy TN panels.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Personally I think the eye candy of 144fps is a treat in and of itself. Not counting the pretty big advantage you get in game in fps but looking at 144fps is beautiful. I guess this is where our opinions differ though. We see the same thing but we still have different preferences.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Personally, I would only get a 144Hz monitor if and only if you were a competitive FPS player for example, one who would go to tournaments for particular games (CS:GO, BF4, COD) but only for serious competitive. (Also is there much of a difference between 120 and 144hz?) However if you like to play a game just for the heck of it, as for me I get competitive in BF4 in pub games (the urge to top score) But I still run a 60Hz IPS, for I don't take the game so seriously I would want to do ranked games for it or GB games it.

All in all

TN 1ms = For really hardcore competitive FPS players

IPS = Anything else.

Again this is all my opinion :)

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Thats the one I was about to drop some money on.

Yeh the PQ278Q is a really great monitor. I don't know much about it but from some quick research it looks very nice. Though try to get someone elses opinion on it. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!