Should we expect to see major performance improvements in SSD's in the near future?

minimalist
Go to solution Solved by Whiskers,

I think the focus from now on will start to be more on reliability and storage capacity for SSDs rather than speed. In the speed department I feel we've already reached a pretty decent level. :)

I've noticed people on youtube mention performance differences between SSD's.  I don't really understand it but for example one would be the Intel 730 SSD vs the Samsung 840 evo SSD.  What exactly is the difference?  Should we expect to see, for example, samsung come out with a higher performance 840 evo at the same price, or same performance at a lesser price.  

I'm a little confused about SSD's and their performance/cost.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Without better consumer technology or more demanding applications to leverage the speed, I'm more interested in gb/$

Error: 410

Pure hardware speed improvements are difficult to create, considering SATA limitations. At least for now, the only things improving modern SSD performance is manufacturer software or firmware that manages how the SSD reads and writes, making it slightly faster at times, or maybe even just longer-lasting.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

bring dat price down

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

We would need a new SATA standard for SSD's to get faster.

I think the focus from now on will start to be more on reliability and storage capacity for SSDs rather than speed. In the speed department I feel we've already reached a pretty decent level. :)

So if that's the case, what you see happening in the future with SSD's is really just an increase in storage capacity and drop in price for what's already out there?  I ask these questions because I was going to buy a 1TB 840 evo(i really really want one) but I'm starting to consider a 500gb if better performance or a significant price decrease is coming in the next year or two.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

So if that's the case, what you see happening in the future with SSD's is really just an increase in storage capacity and drop in price for what's already out there?  I ask these questions because I was going to buy a 1TB 840 evo(i really really want one) but I'm starting to consider a 500gb if better performance or a significant price decrease is coming in the next year or two.

Pretty much, yeah. For me personally when I was choosing my drives, I purchased a 500GB EVO because I felt it offered the best price to performance for me and I'd probably still go for that.

We've already seen some amazing deals on current drives in recent months. There was a Crucial M500 960GB SSD on sale for around $350 at one point and Samsung's EVO series have been available for a great price on Amazon for quite some time too. I'm sure this trend will continue as more reliable and higher-capacity drives become more commonplace.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Pretty much, yeah. For me personally when I was choosing my drives, I purchased a 500GB EVO because I felt it offered the best price to performance for me and I'd probably still go for that.

We've already seen some amazing deals on current drives in recent months. There was a Crucial M500 960GB SSD on sale for around $350 at one point and Samsung's EVO series have been available for a great price on Amazon for quite some time too. I'm sure this trend will continue as more reliable and higher-capacity drives become more commonplace.

I mean technically the 1TB and 750GB are the best when it comes to GB per $.  It's just will the GB per $ drop that much in the next year or two.  Anyway, you guys answered my question pretty well.  Thanks.

I mean technically the 1TB and 750GB are the best when it comes to GB per $.  It's just will the GB per $ drop that much in the next year or two.  Anyway, you guys answered my question pretty well.  Thanks.

Yeah they are now, but at the time the 500GB offered the best value. I still just feel that the additional cost for the additional storage isn't quite worth it for SSDs larger than 500GB right now.

And no problem. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

New interface is coming soon, mainly to get enterprise to move to SSD's as current speeds are not good enough to get current HDD systems to upgrade. M2 or something or other, I need to find the article on the details.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

SF3700 should be sweet. I'd love to get away from cabled drives and just use M.2.

SF3700 should be sweet. I'd love to get away from cabled drives and just use M.2.

Here's a way around cables http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kingspec-Industrial-Disk-on-Module-SATA-DOM-7Pins-16GB-SLC-1CH-for-POS-Machines-/181385440051?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item2a3b6a2b33

:P

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.