Mic out sounds bad...

Boxrocket

Letter to Creative...

"Guys, can you honestly just tell me that the ZXR microphone capabilities are not what the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro are? If so I would be satisfied with that information. I was super pumped to finally purchase the ZXR and found the sound was a bit better that the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. But as I went in to diagnose the microphone, I was super bummed out. It sounds extremely horrible. I have a Bluebird mic and it sounds 100% better on the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro. Can you please give me any reason to not give back my ZXR and wait on driver updates or is this the way it always will be? And yes, all settings have been tried and manipulated in all manners. I need help because I am looking for any reason not to give the card back and try another company. Thanks guys, I am a long time customer."

"Thank you for writing in to Creative.

With regards to your enquiry, please be informed that Sound Blaster ZxR, comparing with X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, the mic in of ZxR only supports up to 2.2k ohms , while Titanium Fatal1ty pro supports 4.0k ohms.

That might be the reason why your microphone works better on X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro.

However since this is designed on the hardware, I am afraid that we have no option to upgrade nor change the component.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused."

I am new here, and I want to start off by saying thanks for reading my post.  I am currently frustrated that Creative would create a product that is worse than something they came out with in 2011 (or whenever it was years ago; doesn't matter).

What I truly need is the best advice for gaming audio output options combined with great mic input/output options.  Even if I need to spend 1500$ on something, I don't care. At the moment, it seems all pci-ex cards are not up to par and there is something wrong with all of them.  I have the beyerdynamic 880DT (not sure what ohms they are). I know they are not the 600 ohm because they said there would be an imprint of that on the coord and there isn't.  I like having the edge in sound. I like hearing people from far off or up close or being able to distinguish the difference of sounds of those walking on wood or metal or coming up behind you.  I do have a headphone amp, but not sure if it has a DAC combined in it (i'm assuming it does).  I plug my headphones into it and then an optical cable connects the amp to the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro.

I don't want to stray away from the main topic of the Mic though.  I'm interested in having nice mic capabilities.  I have a bluebird microphone and it sounded so horrible on the ZXR.  I yanked the ZXR out and put the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro back in, sounded 100% better.

Also contacted EVGA to see what the mic out impedance was for onboard audio. The guy said he didn't know. He referred me to the manual, but the manual doesn't say either. I thought maybe I'll try onboard audio, but would like to know if the X79 classified board beats the ZXR or not first by reviewing the specs. Just don't have a bunch of time since I work full time and go to school all night.

Want to also apologize for the holes in my story since I am starting off and am truly interested in learning everything I can about audio. If I have to rig up some external contraption, I'm all ears.  Remember I want that mic to sound good for recording/vocals but also have elite sound for gaming or just listening to audio.  Any advice on a new setup would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

Specs:

Windows 8.1 x64bit

32gig Ram

i7 4820 Socket 2011

X79 EVGA Classified

Watercooled

GTX 780Ti 

Corsair 900D Case

1000W PSU

Can I ask you why you have a 1000w power supply?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Can I ask you why you have a 1000w power supply?

And a 4820. Quad core + 2011 = waste of money... JS

I apologize if my overkill hurts your feelings.  Gaming is a breeze on this machine especially with 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSDs. Just throwing that in there since you guys want to comment on specs instead of helping out with the topic at hand. Figured I would give you guys a bit more to get butt hurt over. Oh yea, also have Killer Nic card installed as well. You have to make some money first if you want to waste it. JS. Lets put the waste of money on the side for now. Need help with the above issue. Thanks.

I apologize if my overkill hurts your feelings.  Gaming is a breeze on this machine especially with 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSDs. Just throwing that in there since you guys want to comment on specs instead of helping out with the topic at hand. Figured I would give you guys a bit more to get butt hurt over. Oh yea, also have Killer Nic card installed as well. You have to make some money first if you want to waste it. JS. Lets put the waste of money on the side for now. Need help with the above issue. Thanks.

I assume that your Bluebird is an XLR mic since you plug it into your sound card. What I recommend is you get a Blue Icicle XLR to USB converter and plug that into your motherboard. Also, send your new sound card back and sell your old one because if you are using the optical out on the sound card, it is literally doing nothing because optical is digital. It is only acting as a passthrough and essentially a waste of money. 

Broke thanks for the reply,

The Bluebird mic actually has a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter plugged into the back of the sound card no XLR.  I am keeping the XFI card at the moment. The ZXR is definitely returned though.  I hear you on the digital passthrough.  Maybe I will try analog signal instead of digital from the back of the soundcard to the amp then to the headphones.  I have read much on digital vs analog.. your take is digital is doing nothing? I'll try it.  I am still looking for some kind of pci-e adapter to stick in the computer that accepts some kind of DAC that then has all kinds of inputs. Was hoping someone would chime in that has went that route. I know that there is something like Expansion Thunderbolt PCIe Connector and Apollo Twin Interface DSP - solo, dual, quad core but i believe these work exclusively for Apple. I need Windows suggestions. Thanks,

Broke thanks for the reply,

The Bluebird mic actually has a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter plugged into the back of the sound card no XLR.  I am keeping the XFI card at the moment. The ZXR is definitely returned though.  I hear you on the digital passthrough.  Maybe I will try analog signal instead of digital from the back of the soundcard to the amp then to the headphones.  I have read much on digital vs analog.. your take is digital is doing nothing? I'll try it.  I am still looking for some kind of pci-e adapter to stick in the computer that accepts some kind of DAC that then has all kinds of inputs. Was hoping someone would chime in that has went that route. I know that there is something like Expansion Thunderbolt PCIe Connector and Apollo Twin Interface DSP - solo, dual, quad core but i believe these work exclusively for Apple. I need Windows suggestions. Thanks,

Ohhh ok so it's just a 3.5mm plug? Then just plug it into your motherboard. Honestly there is no improvement with using that sound card. If anything it makes it worse because onboard solutions these days are very good. 

I think you're a bit confused on what I mean't by the digital passthrough. The audio has to be converted to analog from digital at some point in order for us to hear it because sound waves are analog. Your speakers already have an amp and dac in it which is doing the conversion so all you need is a digital signal and digital signals are perfect. Since you are running the signal from your mobo to your sound card but it is staying in a digial signal when the sound card outputs, the sound card is not doing anything and is a simple passthrough. Digital is good but you can just plug it straight into your motherboard and it will be the same thing. 

The Blue Bluebird (company = Blue; microphone = Bluebird) is an XLR microphone. What cable are you using to hook up to your soundcard?

An audio interface would be a better option to fix any mic issues you may be having. The simple Blue Icicle NannerBeans linked is fine if you just want to plug it in and go, but if you want more control over how your mic reacts to sound you might want something like the this. There's also mixer-type interfaces from Behringer if you want something cheaper and/or more features.

As per your headphone setup, What is that "amp" you mentioned?

Since it's taking an optical signal as input, it is actually a DAC/amp combo. As far as I know, the only combo units that take optical are designed for console use, and the actual amp on them isn't all that special. You might actually be better off plugging your DT880's straight into your soundcard, but that is kinda dependent on it's impedance (250ohm is most common), or even the audio interface you pick for the mic. Virtual surround sound gets a lotta flak around here (especially when you use a soundcard to achieve it), but it's a matter of preference really. I'd say keep using whatchu already have as long as it does what you need it to. :)

My blue bird mic is this one. Is there any thing like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface you linked that literally takes over all of my audio for my pc? I would be interested in something that lets me input different speaker types... optical in/out .. etc.  I saw the back of this thing and it looks like it connects with a USB cable.  Is that how it connects to the computer? Through that USB? Is there some type of audio interface that comes with the Focusrite so you can manipulate it? Thanks for responding ShearMe.

My headphone amp is just an amp come to find out.  The confusion is that there are rca cables running from the amp to a converter box thingy that then plugs an optical cable from that to the back of the sound card. Of course my headphones are plugged into the amp.

Here is my headphone amp I currently have.  Headphone Amp  I would still be interested in something that takes over the sound from my computer.  I know the ZXR had better sound but the microphone capabilities are horrendous.

Here is my headphone amp I currently have.  Headphone Amp  I would still be interested in something that takes over the sound from my computer.  I know the ZXR had better sound but the microphone capabilities are horrendous.

That is pretty much one of the best amps out there. Just plug it directly into your motherboard for the best experience. Get rid of the converter box and the sound card. As for the mic, just get either the blue icicle or the focusrite. 

My blue bird mic is this one. Is there any thing like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2 In/2 Out USB Recording Audio Interface you linked that literally takes over all of my audio for my pc? I would be interested in something that lets me input different speaker types... optical in/out .. etc.  I saw the back of this thing and it looks like it connects with a USB cable.  Is that how it connects to the computer? Through that USB? Is there some type of audio interface that comes with the Focusrite so you can manipulate it? Thanks for responding ShearMe.

My headphone amp is just an amp come to find out.  The confusion is that there are rca cables running from the amp to a converter box thingy that then plugs an optical cable from that to the back of the sound card. Of course my headphones are plugged into the amp.

The Focusrite does have a headphone jack for audio listening. There's no fancy control box. What you see on the front panel is what you get, and it only connects to your PC via USB. Because of your O2 amp, however, I would recommend the Blue Icicle instead of a fancier interface - no need to let the O2 go to waste. :)