Analyst: Upgrades of Apple iPad in 2014 may seem minor, but they are important (yeah right)

KakaoDj

True, but if i were to concern weights, i rather go for ipad mini or any 7-8in tablets. And iWork, do people really do their documenting on their tablets? Even surface pro 2 was giving me hard time writing things correctly/faster.

Im a man with strong arms. ipad3 aint that heavy for me.

:D

Also, yes I do use Pages for my weekly class I go to. I find the low weight and portability is excellent!

OS X is perfect when you actually use it with an open mind. I've used it for 7 years before switching to windows 7 last month and it's equally as powerful but more accessible for a novice.

Exactly. People who claim OSX is too simple might as well go around with a sign that says "I haven't actually used the product but I am perfectly happy to talk out of my ass about it"

To the upgrade point. This upgrade isn't for people who bought last year. Its for people who have 2-5 year old devices and want an upgrade. Thats still a large market and worth investing products into. 

But hey, on the internet we all know better than a company that as of Q1 2014 has 160 billion in cash on hand. I'm sure they have no idea what they are doing at all...

oh god, the Apple fight sparked once more 

A minimal upgrade is done so that new buyers can buy the latest gadget with the latest hardware + software loaded on it. They don't want to buy a 1 year old device.

Not after you condition them to think there's something better when effectively there's not. Nice try but it is Apple themselves that created that expectation you don't get to use it as an excuse for them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Because the current one it's not an inferior fucking product! The current product it's fine, it does fine for everything you want it to do, there is literally no need for any of this upgrades. I seriously doubt you're this fucking dense and can't wrap your head around forced obsolescence as a concept: a minimal incremental upgrade is done only to dupe morons who love apple to upgrade their perfectly usable and still damn good product for no good reason other than to get more money out of them.

Great... The "it's fine/good enough" argument. You know, living in caves were "good enough" for our ancestors, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make better houses. We don't even know what upgrades the next iPad will have and you're already talking about how they is "literally no need" for them.

I understand force obsolescence but I don't really see it being done here. Like I said before (but apparently you just put fingers in your ears and went *lalala can't hear you*), upgrading each generation is usually a bad idea, and most people don't do it. Incremental upgrades will accumulate into big upgrades given enough time though. 15% CPU performance increase might not be a big deal, but wait two or three generations and you got a 50% increase, which can make a huge difference. Each increase in resolution (going back to the Galaxy S 2 -> 3 -> 4 again) might not be a big deal on their own, but going from 480x800 to 1080x1920 is a huge increase. These incremental updates aren't done for the sole purpose of sucking out more money from "morons", it's to stay competitive and try to make the best product possible.

In technology you should never think "good enough". If we had stopped at "good enough" then we would still be living in caves, or have single core 500MHz CPUs, or use 800x600 monitors, you get the point. All of those were "good enough" once, but as the alternatives got better they quickly went from "good enough" to "terrible". The same thing will happen with our current generation smartphones, just like it happened to the smartphones released 5 years ago.

Great... The "it's fine/good enough" argument. You know, living in caves were "good enough" for our ancestors, blah blah blah fucking blah.

Damn it just shut up already, nobody cares you just want to go around in circles: This is not progress this is a nothing upgrade with close to 0 effect on usage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why? Where is it written that you can only make a profit by releasing everything yearly? Take a look at other areas of tech like videogames: Plenty of franchises only do sequels once every 2 or 3 years or longer and do just fine. The most important parts of games (game engines) take even longer to be refreshed and yet they do fine. I just don't get what is so mystifying to you guys: Liking tech is not opposed to being a smart, conscious and cautious buyer. I can see several situations why each piece of tech can be useful to people, but that's not what I see out of apple: All I see is 5 year old kids with iphones and ipads and teenagers bitching about the now ancient 2012 or 2013 model that does the same fucking things just as well.

Doing the same things better. Thats the reason. Games are different to tech gadgets. It takes much longer to develop a game than to slightly change the design of an existing product, and add features to it.

OS X is perfect when you actually use it with an open mind. I've used it for 7 years before switching to windows 7 last month and it's equally as powerful but more accessible for a novice.

Can you access the registry in OSX. OSX is a terrible OS for an OS. If it was for a phone OS I would let it go but it isn't. It was designed for productivity and that is simply not what you get.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Pretty sure OS X comes with bash preinstalled. I don't really get the whole "OS X is limited/simple/locked down" argument because it's not true. If you scratch away Aqua and the proprietary APIs you basically end up with FreeBSD.

Yes, and? Why not take improvements if you can? Why would you want to buy an inferior product?

I can't believe I am actually having to argue that we should keep trying to make technology better, on a technology forum.

Also I hate having to put a password into OSX every time I want to install something. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

My dad is hell bent on getting an iPad, luckily I was able to talk him into getting an iPad 4 instead of an Air, or waiting for this "new" one. I got him fairly well trained to call me before making any decisions regarding technology.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

Can you access the registry in OSX

Also I hate having to put a password into OSX every time I want to install something. 

No it doesn't have/need a registry, it works very differently to windows

That is just part of how Unix works it isnt just an apple thing. Also how often do you install things for this to be annoying? The average user probably installs what like 20-30 programs in the lifetime of the computer?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-snip-

Sigh... There you go again with that word "need". We don't need houses either, but they are really nice to have, don't you agree?

We don't need phones at all, but they are nice to have. We don't need cars, but they are nice to have. We don't need computers, but they are nice to have. I think you get the point.

How is a faster processor (which does make an impact since everything will be slightly faster), a much better screen (not only a very noticeable bump in PPI and better/more accurate colors), longer battery life, thinner/lighter/easier to carry and hold, a camera (can be used for things like scanning QR codes and in apps, if you don't want to take pictures with it) "useless"?

There isn't a need to do yearly upgrades but why not do it? Why not give the customers the best possible device when they buy it, instead of holding technology back for another year just for the sake of not releasing a new product?

Again, if you don't like improvements then technology as a hobby doesn't fit you.

If you don't want to upgrade every year (the overwhelming majority doesn't, including me) then just don't upgrade every year. You can perfectly emulate a 2 year release cycle if a product has a 1 year release cycle. It's as simple as that. You are complaining about having the option to upgrade more often than you think is necessary (necessary for you mind you, your usage does not mirror what everyone else use their devices for perfectly).

I totally understand the Apple hate. I used to feel exactly the same when I was just a kid in my teens... I thought Apple were dumbing down computing, to the detriment of everyone.

But I've grown to learn that that is just not the case. They're not dumbing it down, they're just making it more accessible and more pleasant. I recently purchased a MacBook because I found that OSX is (or at least can be) as developer friendly as Linux and as reliably supported as Windows. OSX is the best of both worlds, in my opinion. And, frankly, I'll probably get an iPhone next time I upgrade my phone because it works better as a phone. Android lets me do all this stuff I could ordinarily do with a laptop or netbook but frankly I don't need my phone to let me do all that stuff. That's what I have a laptop/netbook for.... what I need is for my phone to be a phone. iOS does that very well. The one thing Apple prioritizes over everything else is UX, and I respect them for that because ultimately that is the most important factor. I don't really give a crap if my phone gets a million points in PhoneBench3000 if the experience of using the phone is terrible otherwise. Specs are of lesser importance because they serve the UX... the specs are there so you can use the device for the sake of function, the UX isn't designed so you can make use of the specs for the sake of the specs.

Yeah, sorry. Not exactly on topic but I was hoping to address some of the Apple hatred and perhaps balance it out with some positivity.

Misanthrope...just wow.

Do you complain that cars get yearly additions and revisions to their models as well? Wait, that doesn't make sense. Cars have very specific upgrade plans laid out ahead of time. Oh, you brought in games? Makes less sense, games have 2-3 year dev cycles anyways. We all know what happens when they try to accelerate that...

Computer hardware. Why wouldn't it be yearly? Do you even understand how fast tech changes? Yearly updates are only not a hassle, they are expected. The new iPad and iPad Mini and iPhone that come out this year ARE NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT IT LAST YEAR. They are for people who bought it the year before. Or the year before that. Or are switching. Or are new buyers. Why the fuck wouldn't they want the best possible spec that Apple can provide? Huh? Why wouldn't they? 

You are literally arguing for stagnation in tech. Why don't you go bitch at Intel for the Haswell refresh. Hey, it only has 100MHz bumps in clock speed. Who needs that? Fuck their product strategy. That is stupid, isn't it? How about yelling at Google about the Nexus upgrades? Go to HTC about the M7 to M8. How about the S4 to S5? All pointless am I right? 

Oh, I figured it out. Its because its Apple. Never mind then, go ahead and hate Apple. Its just the cool thing to do, isn't it? 

Can you access the registry in OSX. OSX is a terrible OS for an OS. If it was for a phone OS I would let it go but it isn't. It was designed for productivity and that is simply not what you get.

...Can you access the Unix command line in windows?

Fractal core 1000 - Asus A88xm plus - Athlon 760k @4.3 GHz - MSI 270 oc - 4GB corsair vengeance low profile - WD green 1TB - 128GB Corsair Neutron - Corsair CS750

Like Linux and UNIX, OSX doesn't use a registry... It's not a horribly cobbled together, hacky, bloated mess like Windows is.

From your comments, I can tell you've never used any OS other than Windows... OSX is pretty similar to Linux/BSD except it has a sleeker UI and better Driver support...

...Can you access the Unix command line in windows?

To be fair, you can emulate it. Look up Cygwin.

Isn't that how linux works though? You need access to the superuser to install or modify the core system, which helps stop malware doing bad things once you install it. How is OSX not for productivity? The free office suite of apps? The multiple desktop on a single monitor support? 

Isn't that how linux works though? You need access to the superuser to install or modify the core system, which helps stop malware doing bad things once you install it. How is OSX not for productivity? The free office suite of apps? The multiple desktop on a single monitor support? 

Yeah, the need for SuperUser to perform actions like that is rooted in UNIX... Windows' equivalent is User Account Control.

Yeah, the need for SuperUser to perform actions like that is rooted in UNIX... Windows' equivalent is User Account Control.

I find UAC so annoying, every time I launched BF3 it wanted to complain about something. At least it has probably stopped some malware from hitting my gaming rig

it is nice to discuss and point-out facts, but this end-fighting will stop.

humm i remember:

Core Values
Generally speaking, as long as the following rules are met you should never find yourself subject to disciplinary action:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Ensure the privacy of our members and that of others.
  • Comply with both US and Canadian law
  • Encourage responsible use of our forums and discourage activities which disrupt our community and reduce the value of our services to our visitors.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • No "lmgtfy" style posts or demeaning posts targeted at anyone.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

so let us stay on topic, staap cursing each other and be nice.

-snip-

Sadly, it's not just about Apple. He is like this about improvements in technology in general. At least he isn't one of those "it's bad because it's Apple" people, but it still blows my mind that anyone is against progression and want the market to stagnate.

Like Linux and UNIX, OSX doesn't use a registry... It's not a horribly cobbled together, hacky, bloated mess like Windows is.

The registry isn't like that either... It has some pros and cons compared to for example Linux's "let's spread out a bunch of text files in /etc, /proc, ~ etc".

Of course it's not a perfect solution, but neither is OS X and Linux. The registry gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

From your comments, I can tell you've never used any OS other than Windows... OSX is pretty similar to Linux/BSD except it has a sleeker UI and better Driver support...

To be fair, you can emulate it. Look up Cygwin.

I also use Linux/Ubuntu occasionally. I can get along with Ubuntu or Mint. The only problem with Linux is that it isn't popular enough so there aren't enough forum posts about problems and fixes. That is also a nice thing about Windows 7. If you had a problem there is always an answer on the interwebs.

No it doesn't have/need a registry, it works very differently to windows

That is just part of how Unix works it isnt just an apple thing. Also how often do you install things for this to be annoying? The average user probably installs what like 20-30 programs in the lifetime of the computer?

I have a few 100. They can cause conflicts with one another so I go and find answers or how to fix conflicts on the web. The registry comes in handy when looking for malware and other viruses to. Also I would love to see OSX with a bunch of software installed on it and see how well it works.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

I have a few 100. They can cause conflicts with one another so I go and find answers or how to fix conflicts on the web. The registry comes in handy when looking for malware and other viruses to. Also I would love to see OSX with a bunch of software installed on it and see how well it works.

Uh , really well? I mean look at these few features added to mavericks that really helped performance. It is a very smart OS

Plus current gen macs all have PCI- based SSDS giving 700-1000mbs read/write speeds

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/advanced-technologies/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I also use Linux/Ubuntu occasionally. I can get along with Ubuntu or Mint. The only problem with Linux is that it isn't popular enough so there aren't enough forum posts about problems and fixes. That is also a nice thing about Windows 7. If you had a problem there is always an answer on the interwebs.

Linux isn't popular enough?! I can guarantee to you that there are many millions more Linux machines out there than Windows ones! But that's just nitpicking... I know what you mean.  :P