Can someone explain to me fan vs blower

Jedicake

The benefits to each, I've heard that GPU's with fans are generally more quiet and cooler?

Some reason I really like GPU's with 3 fans on them lol

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Fans exhaust the heat inside the case to let exhaust fans deal with it ( best for ATX and larger ).

Blower fans blow the heat of the GPU out of the case at the back of the case ( this is good for mATX and smaller cases ).

Blower fan is like the reference AMD card uses, and they tend to be noisy

Fan based are like the MSI Twin Fozor fan blower and you should know that they are generally quiter 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

I'm not an expert, but I believe blower styles are a little louder, and they 'blow' (Hence the design name) the air out the back.
A traditional reference GPU usually have a fan design, which I believe throws air around inside the case alot more than a blower design, as the blower design usually is fully blocked off except the back and the blower.

Correct me if I'm wrong, however :D

Fans are cooler and quieter, they spread the heat all over the case really.

Blowers exhaust heat out the back of the case, which is best when you've got a small case and want to keep it cool in there.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Fans exhaust the heat inside the case to let exhaust fans deal with it ( best for ATX and larger ).

Blower fans blow the heat of the GPU out of the case at the back of the case ( this is good for mATX and smaller cases ).

That sums it up perfectly. Thank you! Fan GPU it is

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Fans are cooler and quieter, they spread the heat all over the case really.

Blowers exhaust heat out the back of the case, which is best when you've got a small case and want to keep it cool in there.

Yes! I've got a mATX case with very little airflow and my blower style GPU is perfect for it.

This, but blower is also better for multiple GPU solutions because the card above a fan cooled card will be blowing hot air from the card below through its heatsinks which will reduce its effectiveness.

Because blower cards exhaust heat outside of the case, a multiple GPU setup using blower coolers can breathe much better from the cooler air inside the case.

Yes! I've got a mATX case with very little airflow and my blower style GPU is perfect for it.

I'm considering going from a large ATX to a mITX so I'm going to have to change from fans to blower too :P

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

This, but blower is also better for multiple GPU solutions because the card above a fan cooled card will be blowing hot air from the card below through its heatsinks which will reduce its effectiveness.

Because blower cards exhaust heat outside of the case, a multiple GPU setup using blower coolers can breathe much better from the cooler air inside the case.

it may work fine for GTX780 but not for the R9 290 and 290X

zomg that blower fan unit sounds like a jet fighter taxi on the runway

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Blower fans are generally louder and less effective however they suck air from inside the case, into the blower fan and push it through the card and fins and out the back of the case.  The bonuses, it can eliminate heat from VERY small spaces, it can allow for a more balanced air flow.

However, unless there is a reason I recommend going with a non-reference cooler.  However, each non reference cooler is different.  Reference coolers generally are quieter, look better and are much cooler.  However, most times they do out put the heat into the case again, which means your case temps might get hotter.

That sums it up perfectly. Thank you! Fan GPU it is

Blower style coolers use fans as well.

What you're asking for is open air vs blower. 

Open air is almost always better. Blower is only beneficial in that it removes the heat from the case instead of exhausting it into the case and making the other parts warmer. It's worse at cooling because blower style coolers will generally have less and smaller fans and only has a small vent at the back of the card for heat to escape while open air coolers can disperse the heat in any amd almost every direction. 

3573246899fb475e450fbe40759bbaf7.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Blower style coolers use fans as well.

What you're asking for is open air vs blower. 

Open air is almost always better. Blower is only beneficial in that it removes the heat from the case instead of exhausting it into the case and making the other parts warmer. It's worse at cooling because blower style coolers will generally have less and smaller fans and only has a small vent at the back of the card for heat to escape while open air coolers can disperse the heat in any amd almost every direction. 

3573246899fb475e450fbe40759bbaf7.png

Sorry, yea. Silly choice of words on my end

Is there other companies that make 3 fan GPU's besides Gigabyte?

I believe I've seen some Dual and Triple Fan GPU's from Zotac.

Gainward has made one also, but i'm not sure if they also send their GPU's to the US, all I know is that they exist in Scandinavia :)

I believe I've seen some Dual and Triple Fan GPU's from Zotac.

Gainward has made one also, but i'm not sure if they also send their GPU's to the US, all I know is that they exist in Scandinavia :)

Aside from Zotac and Gainward, there's PowerColor, Sapphire, Club3D, Msi, Galaxy, PNY, Palit, XFX, Sparkle, and EVGA. I might be missing one or two. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Aside from Zotac and Gainward, there's PowerColor, Sapphire, Club3D, Msi, Galaxy, PNY, Palit, XFX, Sparkle, and EVGA. I might be missing one or two. 

Gigabyte?

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

Well holy hell, you knew a few. lol.

Never seen a triple fan cooler from EVGA though O.o

Gigabyte?

That was already mentioned along with Gainward and Zotac--not by me though. I also used it in my example--No need to be redundant lol. 

Well holy hell, you knew a few. lol.

Never seen a triple fan cooler from EVGA though O.o

460 2WIn: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/evga-unveils-geforce-gtx-460-2win-dualgpu-surprise-2/

Sorry that I continue to keep this thread alive but I suppose it's better instead of just making a new thread.

As far as brand/companies go that makes GPU's, these days it's difficult to find a BAD company right? PNY, Zotac, MSI, Gigabyte, all good? Loving the load temperatures on this 3 fan PNY 780, so that one is tempting.