Windows 8.1 PC Settings Broken!

wjdobie

Okay so the 'Modern' control panel on my PC will not open, clicking the button yields nothing whatsoever - and as a few important things can only be done in the modern control panel, This is quite a big deal.

Anyone else had this problem? If so - How do you fix it?
Google gave me some suggestions but none worked, If all else fails hopefully this 'Update 1' will fix it...

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

If you create a new account, does it work there?

Did you use any registry cleaner software or system tweak tools on Windows?

Did you remove the shortuct from anywhere?

Give this a shot;

Press Ctrl+X and  select command promp (admin)

type in "SFC /SCANNOW"

You may need to run it 2 or 3 times before all the errors are fixed.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

If you create a new account, does it work there?

Did you use any registry cleaner software or system tweak tools on Windows?

I'll try creating a new account through cmd In a second -  you need the damn modern control panel to create a new acount   :angry:

Give this a shot;

type in "SFC /SCANNOW"

The shortcut is in the 'Charms' bar - I don't think you can remove it

I'm trying the scan thing - Haven't come across it before, Thanks!

" If you don't hand your homework In, I might have find where you live and break your House." <<-- Mr Leat, 2013

Is your copy of Windows 8.1 Genuine? If not the PC settings won't work if you've done a certain update.

"Do not pray for and easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one."

"A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground."

I can never find anything in PC settings. I always end up having to google the specific thing I want to find in order to find someone somewhere who's discovered the undoubtedly long, complicated and unintuitive process to finding the menu for it. Damnit MS.

Is your copy of Windows 8.1 Genuine? If not the PC settings won't work if you've done a certain update.

It is Indeed Genuine - It also worked after the update to 8.1, its a recent thing

I can never find anything in PC settings. I always end up having to google the specific thing I want to find in order to find someone somewhere who's discovered the undoubtedly long, complicated and unintuitive process to finding the menu for it. Damnit MS.

Yeah it's awful but you need It for a few different things -.-

Give this a shot;

type in "SFC /SCANNOW"

FIXED!! - Don't have a clue what that command did but Its now opening fine, I didn't even have to restart!

Thank You!!!!!

FIXED!! - Don't have a clue what that command did but Its now opening fine, I didn't even have to restart!

Thank You!!!!!

Good ole System File Checker :)

glad I could help!

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Really? I find it better than the old Control Panel. All it's missing is the ability for third party to add things on it. Maybe Windows 9. You can also search inside it.

Really? I find it better than the old Control Panel. All it's missing is the ability for third party to add things on it. Maybe Windows 9. You can also search inside it.

Yeah the old control panel is great until you want to do something specific to Windows 8(.1), in which case it's not in there.