Will R9 280x support DX12?

gandraga
Go to solution Solved by TheNinjaNextDor,

Yes.

And btw Mantle might be a Linux thing.

Just got a new build, and I was wondering if my Diamond R9 280x will support DX12. I'm guessing Mantle is a dead project.

Mantle... A dead project? GTFO O.o

Yeh, lol... I mean, they are helping Nvidia w/ DX12. So I'm guessing it is?

yes it will be supporting DX12 :)

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just got a new build, and I was wondering if my Diamond R9 280x will support DX12. I'm guessing Mantle is a dead project.

lol wut? Mantle is sdead? it hink u mean starting up :P but yea hopefully dx12 is good unlike everything but 9

it will support DX12 just like fermi kepler etc

but it wont support "all" its features

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yes.

And btw Mantle might be a Linux thing.

OpenGL is a Windows, Mac and Linux thing. And it works on AMD, Intel and Nvidia!

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

if direct x is as good as mantle, mantle will be 100% dead. if it is 95% as good, it will not become very widespread (only games like bf5)

it will support DX12 just like fermi kepler etc

but it wont support "all" its features

Why do you say that?

It might not on Fermi, but according to Microsoft, nVidia, and AMD, it's a minor change, and remember that we had the same thing happen with DirectX 11.2, people said it wouldnt support it, and then GCN ended up being the only architecture with FULL support.

OpenGL is a Windows, Mac and Linux thing. And it works on AMD, Intel and Nvidia!

Might be.

They are all working on OpenGL now to make it better and AMD is discussing feasibility for it to be on Linux only which would be stupid.

I want more OpenGL though.

Anyone have any thought as to wether the Nvidia 700-series will? I'm talking specifically about the 760.

EDIT; hardware support is also something to consider. A 9800GT TECHNICALLY supports DX11, but it's a joke. Hopefully it's not just a 'sure, it will work!**' But a legitimate, hardware-level compatibility

**lol, just kidding. We just want to make it look like it will

Anyone have any thought as to wether the Nvidia 700-series will? I'm talking specifically about the 760.

It's been said that DX12 support will go all the way back to Fermi, which is Nvidia's 400 series gpus.  So the answer is yes.

Why do you say that?

It might not on Fermi, but according to Microsoft, nVidia, and AMD, it's a minor change, and remember that we had the same thing happen with DirectX 11.2, people said it wouldnt support it, and then GCN ended up being the only architecture with FULL support.

http://www.techspot.com/news/56095-some-directx-12-features-will-require-next-gen-graphics-hardware.html

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

So if that is the case, the Xbox One wont be getting full support then :/

Strange.

the main thing people are looking for is lower cpu usage and better multicore usage

people will get this and will help lots its one of mantle's main advantages

for other stuff u need new hardware

It's been said that DX12 support will go all the way back to Fermi, which is Nvidia's 400 series gpus.  So the answer is yes.

Sweet. Thanks!

the main thing people are looking for is lower cpu usage and better multicore usage

people will get this and will help lots its one of mantle's main advantages

for other stuff u need new hardware

I hope so; right now, you can have a 780Ti, but if you still have a cruddy CPU, gaming is terrible anyway.

(I have a 760 with a C2D, and it's not a great at 1080p).

AMD themselves have said that if mantle forces DX12 or some equivalent to become much better, and therefore Mantle dies off, then their job is done anyway, and they would be fine with it.

I hope so; right now, you can have a 780Ti, but if you still have a cruddy CPU, gaming is terrible anyway.

(I have a 760 with a C2D, and it's not a great at 1080p).

C2D is terrible

C2Q would be sufficient for games with good game engines like BF3/BF4 (unless you want to wait for DX12)

if your Mobo supports 45nm Penryn CPUs then try to find a cheap used Q9xxx cpu on ebay or something if not then look for a Q6600 and OC it to 3.2Ghz

AMD themselves have said that if mantle forces DX12 or some equivalent to become much better, and therefore Mantle dies off, then their job is done anyway, and they would be fine with it.

this will fit perfectly with AMD's strategy of slow CPUs and fast GPUs

gamers wont need Fast CPUs anymore

this will fit perfectly with AMD's strategy of slow CPUs and fast GPUs

gamers wont need Fast CPUs anymore

We can hope

C2D is terrible

C2Q would be sufficient for games with good game engines like BF3/BF4 (unless you want to wait for DX12)

if your Mobo supports 45nm Penryn CPUs then try to find a cheap used Q9xxx cpu on ebay or something if not then look for a Q6600 and OC it to 3.2Ghz

I know, but I'm saying that right now, a CPU is way too much of a determinate in your gaming experience. DX12 and such should really push for an all-GPU-powered experience.

I know, but I'm saying that right now, a CPU is way too much of a determinate in your gaming experience. DX12 and such should really push for an all-GPU-powered experience.

true but new game engines really know how to utilize CPUs efficiently

slow cpus seem to have the same minimum FPS but suffer when it comes to maximum FPS this will be solved when DX12 will take over which also will help VR tremendously in terms of latency and 60+ fps 

true but new game engines really know how to utilize CPUs efficiently

slow cpus seem to have the same minimum FPS but suffer when it comes to maximum FPS this will be solved when DX12 will take over which also will help VR tremendously in terms of latency and 60+ fps

Yes! Hopefully!