Big air cooler .. isnt it straining on the CPU/Motherboard?

Guarrand

in my previous pc's i had mediocre or even default aircooling.

But now i am loking for some raw power for cooling... but when i look at some of the air cooling options... THEY BE HUGE!!!

darkrockpro-3b.jpg

Now if the mobo would be horizontal  i wouldnt give it a second thought, but usually its vertically so in my limited knowledge of gravity and mass and stuff.... wouldnt that put a huge strain on the cpu socket?????

The spot its mounted on is tiny compared to the huge masive metal air cooler it has to support.. for years.

Not to mention that i attend a Lanparty 2-3x a year.. so when i take it with me, it will put more strain on it while hauling it around.

So.. is my only option water cooling?? or am i thinking about this to hard? :)

Normally it's supported by a backplate no?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Not really. The backplate does a lot in terms of stability.

I wouldn't recommend driving over speed bumps with that in a car though.

Error: 410

i always think about that too. It cant be to good for the motherboard to be moved around with something like that on it. in the end its only held up by a thin piece of fiberglass

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

When transporting lay the case on it's right side. Still, this is one of the weaknesses of air towers.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Would be nice to see company's strengthen the PCB's on MB's even GPU's ,they can put a bit of pressure on

as well ,but im sure they test this out 100% be for approval .

Tho would be very nice to see Zero sag in CPU coolers & Gpu's in general .

Even with cabling sagging down it self the Gpu can also sag more with it .

Just how heavy can a Cpu cooler/Gpu be in terms of stresses is some thing

no 1 is willing to test out But i am sure it will be ok .

With Cpu coolers most of the time they come with a back plate to hold it together & to

lessen this strain on the MB's PCB .

Not sure on After Market products that help in this matter .tho i am sure there is no

real concern that we all should worrie about unless some 1 does some ridiculous 

stuff to there components . All tho you can always get a Work Bench to satisfy

you're needs if you worrie that much .

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Would be nice to see company's strengthen the PCB's on MB's even GPU's ,they can put a bit of pressure on

as well ,but im sure they test this out 100% be for approval .

Higher quality motherboards and GPUs come with thicker PCB's than lower quality models. When my wife's old mobo died I replaced it with an affordable cpu mobo combo that was good enough. Her ~$75 mobo warped noticeably more than my ~$160 mobo did on the same cooler (she got my old one). I was careful with the installation but it is going strong after several months.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Abusing a huge air cooler machine really isn't a good idea but they are normally fine

• Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
  • I7 3770K @ Stock
  • Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
  • AMD Radeon R9 290
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212+
  • 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
  • 2x 1tb WD Green Drives (RAID 1)
  • 256gb Samsung 840
  • Peripherals
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Core
  • Ducky Shine 3 - Blue LED, Brown Switches
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2443
  • Custom Mousepad http://imgur.com/xJWASQM
  • Logitech G35
  • Altec Lansing Octane 7

Thats why there is the backplate. My guess is you werbt around in the p3 and the p4/pd era...

I wept for the poor p3 chips that just got crushed.

Wouldn't lying the case on the side help with the issue?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

O and also thats nothing as you used to be able to get copper ones that big. I still wish there was a nh-d14 copper edition :P

Also I forgot till now skme boards are starting to com with backplates, but its not really to help with that...

I have a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2, and I'm actually afraid to bring it to a LAN party.

If I could re-build my computer right now, I'd probably have gone with a H100i or something similar since they aren't that more expensive than the cooler I have right now.

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

Thanks guys .. i'm glad i am not the only one wondering about it :P

And ofcourse i put it on the side while moving it.. but still.. it will get tossed around a bit ...

and knowing myself... i'll probably be better off with watercooling :D

I've said this before, but sometimes there just isn't a way of proving myself. 

1) Find an old motherboard, if you can't find one, wait till the hard rubbish collection and pick up a PC someone is throwing out. 

2) Attempt to break it by snapping it in half. Yes, it is hard. You probably won't be able to. 

Alternatively, attach a big air cooler to a motherboard and wave it around in the air. You CANNOT simply "rip off" the CPU.

So yeah, you'll be completely fine. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I've said this before, but sometimes there just isn't a way of proving myself.

1) Find an old motherboard, if you can't find one, wait till the hard rubbish collection and pick up a PC someone is throwing out.

2) Attempt to break it by snapping it in half. Yes, it is hard. You probably won't be able to.

Alternatively, attach a big air cooler to a motherboard and wave it around in the air. You CANNOT simply "rip off" the CPU.

So yeah, you'll be completely fine.

You can flex then enough to breal traces in a multilayer board. This was actually and issue in like c2d and first gen i7 era since most coolers didnt have anything stopping you from over tightening.

Good modern ATX mobos are held with 9 screws. If all screws are attached and tight, they will keep mobo in place and have strain run equally. GPU is held in place by mobo and case so it will bring bit more stability to that. I/O shield will also bring little to it. Like said before, backplates take some strain off mobo itself. So instead of cooler attaching only to mobo it actually attaches to backplate and mobo is just plate between then. I wouldn't throw PC around but it won't move easily on normal moving situation either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Good modern ATX mobos are held with 9 screws. If all screws are attached and tight, they will keep mobo in place and have strain run equally. GPU is held in place by mobo and case so it will bring bit more stability to that. I/O shield will also bring little to it. Like said before, backplates take some strain off mobo itself. So instead of cooler attaching only to mobo it actually attaches to backplate and mobo is just plate between then. I wouldn't throw PC around but it won't move easily on normal moving situation either.

yea ii forgot about that, most time now you can mount the cpu cooler once the MB is in the case, this wasnt always an option though.

I have a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 2, and I'm actually afraid to bring it to a LAN party.

If I could re-build my computer right now, I'd probably have gone with a H100i or something similar since they aren't that more expensive than the cooler I have right now.

I have the same cpu cooler as well. I'm not really afraid of bringing it to LAN parties or move it around. I am very careful when I'm moving it around, not too quickly, when I have it in the car, I lay it on the side so the CPU cooler "stand up" just like the picture OP posted. I have moved it many times without anything happened. It is a great cooler and awesome looking too! but maybe not practical :)