I'm About Ready To Give Up

I know very little about building pc's, but thought it looked easy enough to do myself. So 5 hours later, I already feel like giving up.

• I got the Noctua nh-d14 se2011 for an LGA1150 and found that they don't fit together.
  • I ordered a 32 bit operating system of Windows.
  • I got the wrong size PSU for my Bitfenix Prodigy case. So the cables in the back are too big to push the PSU all the way in the case.
  • I have no idea how to connect a simple Seagate HDD.
  • I got all the stuff from newegg, so I doubt they'll take back the hardware since I already opened it.

I don't know where to go for help because I'm the computer "expert" among my group of friends.

Can anybody please, for the love of god, help me so I don't waste any more money and time?

Thanks to anyone with any advice!

This is my list of parts so far if that helps.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/alldread/saved/3mZD

Call or email Noctua, the 2011 edition is the same heat sink just with different mounting hardware. They will be able to offer you or send you the appropriate hardware. 

Refuse the package for the OS, you can torrent the 64 bit version and use it unactivated until you get the 64 bit version, then enter that key. 

Before you all get on my ass, I'm not condoning piracy, there shouldn't be anything wrong with torrenting or obtaining a copy of the windows ISO as long as you use a genuine key. If you're getting Windows 8 you can download that directly from MS.

Newegg should accept the return, hopefully without too big of a restocking fee. 

There's really only one way to put in a hard drive, so idk how to help you there. 

Error: 410

The HDD connectors (both data and power) are L shape connectors. Match them up and push them in. (it may require a bit of force for the power connector)

I'm pretty sure you can return an opened packet to newegg. But you may not get back about 15% due to restocking a fee.

The PSU depth has to be a maximum of 160mm for it to fit.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

"This part list is private."

My bad. Fixed that.

My biggest problem is that I have no clue what goes where on the motherboard.

Call or email Noctua, the 2011 edition is the same heat sink just with different mounting hardware. They will be able to offer you or send you the appropriate hardware. 

Refuse the package for the OS, you can torrent the 64 bit version and use it unactivated until you get the 64 bit version, then enter that key. 

Before you all get on my ass, I'm not condoning piracy, there shouldn't be anything wrong with torrenting or obtaining a copy of the windows ISO as long as you use a genuine key. If you're getting Windows 8 you can download that directly from MS.

Newegg should accept the return, hopefully without too big of a restocking fee. 

There's really only one way to put in a hard drive, so idk how to help you there. 

Thanks, those are good ideas. Newegg said they'll take the OS back since I didn't open it so that part is fixable.

It's just annoying all the mistakes I made when I tried my best at researching everything haha.

HDD.

Serial-ATA data cable to mobo to HDD. SATA Power cable from PSU to HDD. Real simple interface. Maybe you should watch a build guide if you're more of a visual learner. This guys goes through ever bit of detail, great for noobies. http://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman Remember, we were all once a noob.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

The HDD connectors (both data and power) are L shape connectors. Match them up and push them in. (it may require a bit of force for the power connector)

I'm pretty sure you can return an opened packet to newegg. But you may not get back about 15% due to restocking a fee.

The PSU depth has to be a maximum of 160mm for it to fit.

Yeah my PSU is 160mm, but modular. So the cables in the back make it too big to push all the way in. So I guess I have to get a non-modular PSU.

Also, all the ventilation for the PSU is on the bottom of the case, so I also would need a PSU where the fan is OK being pointed downwards, right?

To be brutally honest, you shouldn't have purchased anything if you don't even really know how to build a pc.  I would've watched videos and more videos on the specific parts you're thinking about until you know each component inside and out.  But you can get a hold of Noctua and they should send you the right mounting hardware.

Yeah my PSU is 160mm, but modular. So the cables in the back make it too big to push all the way in. So I guess I have to get a non-modular PSU.

Also, all the ventilation for the PSU is on the bottom of the case, so I also would need a PSU where the fan is OK being pointed downwards, right?

Yeah you may need a non-modular PSU because of the way the holes are in the case are placed.

Unless you can find a shorter PSU like 140mm or so in depth.

The fan is fine being pointed down. because it will be grabbing air from outside the case. (you don't want to block the air intake of the psu)

OR****

You can remove the bottom HDD cage, and cut a larger hole at the back of the PSU section :)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Here this is how I learned to build a pc. I was just like you when I first started I had no idea and was on the verge of giving up. But trust me, you just have to believe you can do this. No one is perfect, watch these videos and you should do fine. Honestly I think you should have done the research before purchasing all these parts and these parts you have are high end parts that should not be messed with. Next time do the research before you buy your stuff, but for now look at the videos and try to understand.

How to build a pc in under a hour:

1)Part 1: 

2)Part 2: 

3)Part 3: 

4) Or here is all the videos in 1, 11 minute video:

4)YOUR DONE! :D

Spoiler

You'll have to send the psu back, not because it won't fit but because that particular unit has to mount in a certain orientation to work properly.

It's a tight fit, but a 160mm modular psu can be squeezed in. But for you I'd suggest you look at getting a Corsair CX600M. It is only 140mm long which should give you plenty of room.

You've actually got a fairly nice build going. Don't give up.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Yeah you may need a non-modular PSU because of the way the holes are in the case are placed.

Unless you can find a shorter PSU like 140mm or so in depth.

The fan is fine being pointed down. because it will be grabbing air from outside the case. (you don't want to block the air intake of the psu)

OR****

You can remove the bottom HDD cage, and cut a larger hole at the back of the PSU section :)

Yeah I thought about cutting a hole to make it fit, but I'd rather not jerry-rig it haha.

You'll have to send the psu back, not because it won't fit but because that particular unit has to mount in a certain orientation to work properly.

It's a tight fit, but a 160mm modular psu can be squeezed in. But for you I'd suggest you look at getting a Corsair CX600M. It is only 140mm long which should give you plenty of room.

You've actually got a fairly nice build going. Don't give up.

Yeah I got the psu to fit, but I don't think it's a good idea to have it so close to a solid piece of metal. Especially when the other side of the metal is where the motherboard sits.

I figured out everything else so far. Just need to get the new PSU and CPU cooler and I'll be set.

Thanks everyone for the videos. They were super helpful.

I'll post some pictures or something like that when I finish!

Watch one of Linus' build guide videos? He goes into more detail than most of the other videos I've seen. 

Plus, hey, watching his videos support this forum, so why not. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White

I got it all setup! Now I'm just paranoid about the CPU temp and stuff like that, but I'll make a different post as it's unrelated to building.

Watch one of Linus' build guide videos? He goes into more detail than most of the other videos I've seen. 

Plus, hey, watching his videos support this forum, so why not. 

As much as I like Linus' videos, I'd suggest checking out Austin's videos linked above. They have close ups and are more in depth than Linus' in terms of just the build. On the other hand, Linus tends to add in extra info not pertaining to just building the system. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

As much as I like Linus' videos, I'd suggest checking out Austin's videos linked above. They have close ups and are more in depth than Linus' in terms of just the build. On the other hand, Linus tends to add in extra info not pertaining to just building the system. 

They're all great videos, Linus, Austin and Paul (Newegg TV) all make great build videos, but more options and more videos is never a bad thing! I just mentioned Linus cause nobody had mentioned him yet. 

My Personal Rig - AMD 3970X | ASUS sTRX4-Pro | RTX 2080 Super | 64GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 | CoolerMaster H500P Mesh

My Wife's Rig - AMD 3900X | MSI B450I Gaming | 5500 XT 4GB | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 | Silverstone SG13 White