Fx504GM - i7 8750h and Gtx 1060 6GB

gwarr1234

Hey everyone,

Been trying to identify the bottleneck that is causing my laptop to perform horribly in some games(Witcher 3 & BF5) where it gets 20-30 even on low settings and great in others such as WoW ultraSettings that lets it go to 90-100 fps. I will attach below a capture I've made with MSI AfterBurner in Witcher 3 Medium settings, please note that the difference in fps between low-medium-high-ultra is non existent, maybe getting 35 fps on very low settings. Same happens in BF5. 
My current theory is that it has something to do with the single channel 8Gb Ram stick this laptop comes with or thermal throttling, but both theories seem to not have any weight since, as you can see from the screenshot, the temperatures seem fine and the Ram is not full. Cpu seems to hold a solid 3914 MHZ, thats ok I guess?

I've tried a Bios update, updating drivers, disabling IGpu and set Nvidia Settings to max performance, want to try dual channel now but wanted first to reach out to see if anyone has any idea what I can do more?

Screenshot Witcher 3 Medium Settings https://imgur.com/a/lYmdJce

Hopefully someone has more ideas than I have, thanks :)

4 minutes ago, gwarr1234 said:

Hey everyone,

Been trying to identify the bottleneck that is causing my laptop to perform horribly in some games(Witcher 3 & BF5) where it gets 20-30 even on low settings and great in others such as WoW ultraSettings that lets it go to 90-100 fps. I will attach below a capture I've made with MSI AfterBurner in Witcher 3 Medium settings, please note that the difference in fps between low-medium-high-ultra is non existent, maybe getting 35 fps on very low settings. Same happens in BF5. 
My current theory is that it has something to do with the single channel 8Gb Ram stick this laptop comes with or thermal throttling, but both theories seem to not have any weight since, as you can see from the screenshot, the temperatures seem fine and the Ram is not full. Cpu seems to hold a solid 3914 MHZ, thats ok I guess?

I've tried a Bios update, updating drivers, disabling IGpu and set Nvidia Settings to max performance, want to try dual channel now but wanted first to reach out to see if anyone has any idea what I can do more?

Screenshot Witcher 3 Medium Settings https://imgur.com/a/lYmdJce

Hopefully someone has more ideas than I have, thanks :)

Embrace the power of "Yes". 

Most likely it's power limiting when the CPU is getting loaded up, though the single channel memory probably doesn't help.

Attached two more captures in WoW(high-ultra) and Bf5 everything at Low. So, do you think I should undervolt the cpu(just saw there was a topic about this exact cpu) and upgrade to dual channel? I don't understand how the cpu could be the bottleneck if the GPU is at 100%, forgive me if it is a stupid question, just trying to make sense of this :)

Bf5LowFps.png

HighFpsWoW.png

This model has notoriously bad cooling. Asus put a firmware where either the CPU or GPU will be throttled once a while in medium/heavy load so that the temps of CPU+GPU look better. Also the 25W PL1 limit for CPU

As far as I can tell from the screenshot above, the GPU is throttled

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128