Multi Monitors on NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

madotter

Hi guys,

I have 3 monitors connected to my GTX 1080 Ti (MSI Gaming X) but when the monitors (2 and 3) are powered off, even at the plug - the monitors stay present in Windows.

This is very annoying as when I am just wanting to use monitor 1, the mouse will fall off the screen and into monitor 2 (which can even be unplugged at the wall!).

I have:

Asus Predator X34 as monitor 1 (DisplayPort)

Samsung U32J59x as monitor 2 (HDMI)

Cheap little Asus as monitor 3 (HDMI)

This is how it shows in nvidia's panel:

unknown.png.b3d16833668161559d76a63f9d9dc2f1.png

And this is in Windows:

1653830659_unknown(1).png.f262b4670b5de05626ab704c1e9979af.png

Is there a way that when displays 2 and 3 are turned off (using the power button on the monitor) they don't appear as active displays?

Like I said, even if I unplug monitors 2 and 3's power leads from the wall, with the HDMI connected, they still appear! - The only way to get them to disappear is to unplug the HDMI cables which is not easy with my current setup.

Hope someone can help!

All the best,

Iain.

The reason they still appear is because otherwise you would need to rearrange them and move desktop icons or programs back every time you turn them on.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

The reason they still appear is because otherwise you would need to rearrange them and move desktop icons or programs back every time you turn them on.

I don't want icons on the screens 2 and 3, they are purely just extra screen space for when I need it.

Normally, when you turn a second monitor off you should not be able to move the mouse onto that screen.

13 minutes ago, madotter said:

Hi guys,

I have 3 monitors connected to my GTX 1080 Ti (MSI Gaming X) but when the monitors (2 and 3) are powered off, even at the plug - the monitors stay present in Windows.

This is very annoying as when I am just wanting to use monitor 1, the mouse will fall off the screen and into monitor 2 (which can even be unplugged at the wall!).

I have:

Asus Predator X34 as monitor 1 (DisplayPort)

Samsung U32J59x as monitor 2 (HDMI)

Cheap little Asus as monitor 3 (HDMI)

This is how it shows in nvidia's panel:

And this is in Windows:

Is there a way that when displays 2 and 3 are turned off (using the power button on the monitor) they don't appear as active displays?

Like I said, even if I unplug monitors 2 and 3's power leads from the wall, with the HDMI connected, they still appear! - The only way to get them to disappear is to unplug the HDMI cables which is not easy with my current setup.

Hope someone can help!

All the best,

Iain.

Did some googling.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1146484-how-to-lock-your-mouse-inside-a-game-on-a-dual-monitor-setup/

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

5 minutes ago, madotter said:

Normally, when you turn a second monitor off you should not be able to move the mouse onto that screen.

Monitor tools

http://dualmonitorto...ourceforge.net/

So what does Dual Monitor Tools do? Before you start a game you will press a key combination (which you will configure below). This will lock the mouse inside the screen; it will not be able to go to any of your other monitors until you press that same key combination again. In doing this it also locks your mouse inside the game.

The program comes as a zip file and requires no installation. To use the application simply unzip it to a directory of your choice.

Step 1) Open the directory you just extracted the zip to

Step 2) Double click ?SwapScreen.exe?

Step 3) Right click Swap Screen next to your clock

Step 4) Left click Options

Step 5) Left click on the ?Cursor? tab

Step 6) Go down under ?Lock Cursor onto screen? and click ?Change?. Now select a key combination of your choice.

Step 5) Click close.

If this is 'GAME ONLY', surely another program exists for Desktop only.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That's fine for gaming but I use Photoshop and Premiere Pro on monitor 1.

Monitor 2 is for gaming and 3 is for Discord when gaming.

So when I am not gaming or using Discord, monitors 2 and 3 are off but when using PS or PP, the mouse will still end up on monitor 2 - which is off.

5 minutes ago, madotter said:

I don't want icons on the screens 2 and 3, they are purely just extra screen space for when I need it.

Yeah I know but many other people use multiple monitors regularly and need their icons and program windows to stay put.

I don't know where you got "normally" from, because it has never been that you can't move a mouse onto a screen that is off.

A computer cannot know when a display is on or off.

It can only know if something is plugged into a port or not.

This is how it has literally always worked since the computer was invented.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah I know but many other people use multiple monitors regularly and need their icons and program windows to stay put.

I don't know where you got "normally" from, because it has never been that you can't move a mouse onto a screen that is off.

A computer cannot know when a display is on or off.

It can only know if something is plugged into a port or not.

Okay.

My friend has a PC with two monitors, both connected to an AMD GPU and when he turns his second monitor off, it vanishes from Windows and the PC only detects monitor 1, when he turns the second monitor back on, it the detects two monitors. That is what I am after.

I will try the Dual Monitor Tool as the "sticky" setting should do the job.

Thanks again!

Iain.

11 minutes ago, madotter said:

Okay.

My friend has a PC with two monitors, both connected to an AMD GPU and when he turns his second monitor off, it vanishes from Windows and the PC only detects monitor 1, when he turns the second monitor back on, it the detects two monitors. That is what I am after.

Thanks again!

Iain.

I think your friend has weird stuff going on.. or he has set it up that way outside of normal operating procedures.
None of my Multi-Generation AMD GPU's do that. (Out of the Box Setups)

15 minutes ago, madotter said:

Okay.

Thanks again!

Iain.

It's a DisplayPort thing, mostly. Though it's almost all an issue with Windows and not the GPUs/Monitors.

Have you tried moving Monitors 2/3 over to DisplayPort connections on your GPU?

10 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I think your friend has weird stuff going on.. or he has set it up that way outside of normal operating procedures.
None of my Multi-Generation AMD GPU's do that. (Out of the Box Setups)

It's DisplayPort and any Windows from 7 onward that causes the refactoring of the Desktop environment. Adding a really nice 1440p, IPS monitor to my setup turned into a massive headache pretty quickly when I ran into the displayport issue. Screen savers suddenly became a really useful utility again.