Next upgrade help...

I typically play a lot of online fps titles like COD Blackops 4, PUBG, Battlefield titles and stuff along those lines. My questions is what would be the best piece of hardware/peripherals to upgrade next to improve my overall gaming experience/performance? Currently I am just looking to put another $200-$400 bucks into it as of right now so I am just curious as to what my best options would be as far as bang for my buck goes..Below is my current setup and specs. Thanks for your help!!

CPU: i5 6400 (2.7 ghz)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 (4GB) 

Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Plus

16 GB RAM DDR4 SDRAM

120GB Solid State Drive

1TB hard drive

Monitor: LG-ULTRAWIDE 2560X1080p (60hz) w/freesync

Keyboard: Corsair K55

Mouse: Logitech G602

Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

7 minutes ago, GoldenLeader said:

I typically play a lot of online fps titles like COD Blackops 4, PUBG, Battlefield titles and stuff along those lines. My questions is what would be the best piece of hardware/peripherals to upgrade next to improve my overall gaming experience/performance? Currently I am just looking to put another $200-$400 bucks into it as of right now so I am just curious as to what my best options would be as far as bang for my buck goes..Below is my current setup and specs. Thanks for your help!!

CPU: i5 6400 (2.7 ghz)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 (4GB) 

Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Plus

16 GB RAM DDR4 SDRAM

120GB Solid State Drive

1TB hard drive

Monitor: LG-ULTRAWIDE 2560X1080p (60hz) w/freesync

Keyboard: Corsair K55

Mouse: Logitech G602

Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Get a used i7 6700 

Other than tha t for 200-400$, Idk what to suggest

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

MOD PLEASE DELETE 

Edited by GoldenLeader

59 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Get a used i7 6700 

Other than tha t for 200-400$, Idk what to suggest

Thanks for the reply gbergeron! Forgive me for being not very technically inclined but personally do you think I would see any meaningful performance or fps gain if I were to upgrade the processor to an i7 6700 or comparable to that? Or does it mostly boil down to my lower end gpu and I'd most likely get more gains for my money biting the bullet for the time being and just saving up until I can upgrade the gpu to a 1070ti or possibly a 1080ti or something along those lines before I put anymore money into more upgrades on it?

33 minutes ago, GoldenLeader said:

Thanks for the reply gbergeron! Forgive me for being not very technically inclined but personally do you think I would see any meaningful performance or fps gain if I were to upgrade the processor to an i7 6700 or comparable to that? Or does it mostly boil down to my lower end gpu and I'd most likely get more gains for my money biting the bullet for the time being and just saving up until I can upgrade the gpu to a 1070ti or possibly a 1080ti or something along those lines before I put anymore money into more upgrades on it?

Your CPU will bottleneck a 1080 ti but you will still see a nice gain in most games etc..

I would settle on your system until you can afford a full cpu/gpu upgrade to be honest, it's not realy worth it to upgrade for you unless you wanna go for a killer cpu and gpu combo

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

A second hand i7 7700 is probably the only thing to do, if you know how to update the BIOS to support it.... if not go i7 6700, other than that there is nothing to do with 200 bucks... that being said if you do get a 1080 Ti but keep the screen *which should be overclockable to 75hz~80hz* the i7 6700 or preferably i7 7700 due to its frequency bump can keep up these 60 to 80fps for the most part.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

56 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Your CPU will bottleneck a 1080 ti but you will still see a nice gain in most games etc..

I would settle on your system until you can afford a full cpu/gpu upgrade to be honest, it's not realy worth it to upgrade for you unless you wanna go for a killer cpu and gpu combo

That makes sense. One more thing I was thinking about doing is upgrading to a 144hz monitor. Do you think that would be something worth doing?

31 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

A second hand i7 7700 is probably the only thing to do, if you know how to update the BIOS to support it.... if not go i7 6700, other than that there is nothing to do with 200 bucks... that being said if you do get a 1080 Ti but keep the screen *which should be overclockable to 75hz~80hz* the i7 6700 or preferably i7 7700 due to its frequency bump can keep up these 60 to 80fps for the most part.

Are you saying I could possibly overclock my monitor? 

funny thing is an Upgrade for you would really only be:

Motherboard,

CPU,

GPU,

Maybe PSU (depending on quality), you havent mentioned it so there's a chance its not up too snuff,

and perhaps ram if the frequency is too low.

but the latter of the two are "ifs" and really only the CPU and Motherboard.

a later upgrade could be the BOOT SSD drive due to the fact that 120gb is going to fill really fast, and SSD's play best when its filled 50% ~ 60% of the time, that isnt to say it wouldn't be fast, but its not as fast as it could be.

do this in steps:

buy CPU, Motherboard.

then GPU,

check PSU, if its not good then PSU before GPU,

RAM (as it is 16 gb, but maybe not fast ram, its not so high in priority)

then BOOT SSD, check the motherboard you get for M.2 slots, and go for M.2 SSD

9 minutes ago, Merreck said:

Motherboard,

CPU,

GPU,

Maybe PSU (depending on quality), you havent mentioned it so there's a chance its not up too snuff,

a later upgrade could be the BOOT SSD drive due to the fact that 120gb is going to fill really fast, and SSD's play best when its filled 50% ~ 60% of the time, that isnt to say it wouldn't be fast, but its not as fast as it could be.

do this in steps:

buy CPU, Motherboard.

then GPU,

Allow me to chime in here for a second.

I wouldn't wait with the SSD until the end, rather after getting either a new CPU or GPU.

If you haven't experienced SSD booting and general day-to-day usage it'll be night and day.

Personally I'd rather have a less FPS but a good speed when doing normal things on my PC.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Allow me to chime in here for a second.

I wouldn't wait with the SSD until the end, rather after getting either a new CPU or GPU.

If you haven't experienced SSD booting and general day-to-day usage it'll be night and day.

Personally I'd rather have a less FPS but a good speed when doing normal things on my PC.

He already has a SSD BOOT drive... sure it can go faster, but it wont be the drastic change from HDD too SSD, in that case it can be delayed since the rest give a more tangible difference, however if you chose not to upgrade RAM, then by all means put a 250 (256) - 500 (512) GB SSD in your M.2 socket (make sure its a NVMe PCIe SSD M.2 card, as there can be a difference between a non NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD is that it only runs as fast as SATA300 goes, which maxes at 550-600 Mb/s.)

5 hours ago, Merreck said:

He already has a SSD BOOT drive... sure it can go faster, but it wont be the drastic change from HDD too SSD, in that case it can be delayed since the rest give a more tangible difference, however if you chose not to upgrade RAM, then by all means put a 250 (256) - 500 (512) GB SSD in your M.2 socket (make sure its a NVMe PCIe SSD M.2 card, as there can be a difference between a non NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD is that it only runs as fast as SATA300 goes, which maxes at 550-600 Mb/s.)

Totally missed that, must've read it a tad too quickly.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

15 hours ago, Merreck said:

Motherboard,

CPU,

GPU,

do this in steps:

buy CPU, Motherboard.

then GPU,

That makes sense! Thanks for the info. Is there a specific CPU motherboard combo you would recommend? 

12 hours ago, Merreck said:

15 hours ago, Merreck said:

Motherboard,

CPU,

GPU,

do this in steps:

buy CPU, Motherboard.

then GPU,

That makes sense! Thanks for the info. Is there a specific CPU motherboard combo you would recommend? 

27 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Go 1070 and fuhget abaht it

Whats the main difference between the 1070 and the 1070ti?

42 minutes ago, GoldenLeader said:

Whats the main difference between the 1070 and the 1070ti?

1070ti is closer to a 1080 in performance. Clock speeds, memory bandwidth and I believe Cudas.

Also price. For your 6400, I'd bother more with the plain 1070. Ti isn't going to fair much wose than a 1080 and you'd be better off with one of those if you were to consider it

On 11/26/2018 at 12:39 AM, GoldenLeader said:

depends on your budget and location

for me i7 8700K is the same price as a i7-9700K (450 euro), plus a Z390 board is 170-200 euro, go figure that hefty 650 price tag, the question is more about how much you want to spend. and if you are going to stick too simple games and at what resolution or FPS you are gonna want to play.

get the GPU after the CPU/Mobo upgrade... and you might want to wait what AMD's Zen 2 is gonna do in CES 2019 before pulling the trigger and buying.

however a 1070 is good purchase however using the prices differences of 1 particular model of 1070 vs 1070ti vs 2070 (ASUS ROG Strix GPU)

1070 (OC edition) = 478 euro
1070 ti (OC edition) = 518 euro
2070 (OC edition) = 619 euro

soooo.... its mainly about the price difference in models, TI's arent that much more expensive than regular 1070's sooo... its up to you how much dough you wanna give.

anyways that current dutch prices =P enjoy part picking