Dell 27" 2560x140 144Hz/1ms - G-Sync - $349.99 - OVER

DVA

Hey guys, here is a Dell with all the specs in the title. It has the exact same specs as some more expensive models such as the ASUS ROG Swift and the Acer Predator. 

The only thing I found that is actually any different is it is locked in at 144Hz as to where the others can go to 165+. The 100+Dollar price difference isn't worth an extra 21Hz IMO. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

Again, here are the specs;

27"

2560x1440

G-Sync

144Hz/1ms

TN panel, but with Dell's quality you can get similar colors to an IPS panel. 

If you're not a caveman and play on the floor or play sideways on your monitor than a TN panel shouldn't matter. 

8 minutes ago, DVA said:

Hey guys, here is a Dell with all the specs in the title. It has the exact same specs as some more expensive models such as the ASUS ROG Swift and the Acer Predator. 

The only thing I found that is actually any different is it is locked in at 144Hz as to where the others can go to 165+. The 100+Dollar price difference isn't worth an extra 21Hz IMO. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-qhd-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

Again, here are the specs;

27"

2560x1440

G-Sync

144Hz/1ms

TN panel, but with Dell's quality you can get similar colors to an IPS panel. 

If you're not a caveman and play on the floor or play sideways on your monitor than a TN panel shouldn't matter. 

seems like a really good deal since it is 250 off from its regular price

Just now, drake19899 said:

seems like a really good deal since it is 250 off from its regular price

Off from most websites it really is $250 off, but I've been checking these prices for a few months and this particular model was normally found anywhere from $460 to $500 from retailers like Amazon and Wal-Mart. So either way this is a really good deal IMO

I was going to go get the Asus PG279Q but this is $200 cheaper and looks to have good colors for a TN display...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Just now, ThatFlashCat said:

I was going to go get the Asus PG279Q but this is $200 cheaper and looks to have good colors for a TN display...

Yeah, Dell has been known to replicate color accuracy well. Just teak the settings and you'll get something close to a VA/IPS panel, minus the viewing angles. But like I said, who uses their monitor sideways lol. I can only justify paying premiums for those if it's for work and you need to occasionally show a co-worker something. Or if you're a Graphic Designer and need the color replication to be as accurate as possible. 

1 minute ago, DVA said:

Yeah, Dell has been known to replicate color accuracy well. Just teak the settings and you'll get something close to a VA/IPS panel, minus the viewing angles. But like I said, who uses their monitor sideways lol. I can only justify paying premiums for those if it's for work and you need to occasionally show a co-worker something. Or if you're a Graphic Designer and need the color replication to be as accurate as possible. 

I currently have a pair of dell U2515H IPS displays which I would be putting at steep angles to my right and left, so I'd always be looking at the TN display head on. I do like accurate colors but I tend to run my editing viewer on a second display anyway. If you know of any good color calibration guides I'd like to see them. :P

Also, I know the Dell doesn't overclock to 165hz but aside from that it should perform like a similar Asus display, correct?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

2 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I currently have a pair of dell U2515H IPS displays which I would be putting at steep angles to my right and left, so I'd always be looking at the TN display head on. I do like accurate colors but I tend to run my editing viewer on a second display anyway. If you know of any good color calibration guides I'd like to see them. :P

Also, I know the Dell doesn't overclock to 165hz but aside from that it should perform like a similar Asus display, correct?

It will perform exactly like the ASUS before the ASUS gets overclocked to 165Hz. Right now the ASUS ROG with the exact same specs is listed for $449 on Newegg, $100 more for 21Hz more, which is not really noticeable to the eye. I am currently out shopping so I can't look on any guides, but this monitor has been out for a while and I came across a few guides the other day with a quick Google search. 

23 minutes ago, DVA said:

It will perform exactly like the ASUS before the ASUS gets overclocked to 165Hz. Right now the ASUS ROG with the exact same specs is listed for $449 on Newegg, $100 more for 21Hz more, which is not really noticeable to the eye. I am currently out shopping so I can't look on any guides, but this monitor has been out for a while and I came across a few guides the other day with a quick Google search. 

Yeah I wasn't planning to run it at 165hz anyway since I don't hit 165+ fps generally. I'm using 60z currently so it will be a night and day difference regardless.

Edit: I just reserved one of these at Best Buy, good catch! @DVA You saved me $200 on a monitor that's pretty much as good as the one I was looking at initially. With some calibration it should match my IPS displays well (and for what it's worth, my dad is using a pair of dell TN displays and the colors are almost the same as my IPS displays, just with worse viewing angles).

Edited by ThatFlashCat

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

26 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Yeah I wasn't planning to run it at 165hz anyway since I don't hit 165+ fps generally. I'm using 60z currently so it will be a night and day difference regardless.

Definitely. The G-Sync will also make it even smoother. Are you going to pick one up?

9 minutes ago, DVA said:

Definitely. The G-Sync will also make it even smoother. Are you going to pick one up?

Yep I made a reservation at the nearest best buy and the family is heading out for shopping anyway. :D

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

Such a great buy, have fun with it! I actually called Newegg to cancel my ASUS ROG because I couldn't justify the $100 dollar increase for the sake of brand name. 

5 hours ago, DVA said:

The G-Sync will also make it even smoother.

I have the Dell 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor and I rarely use G-Sync. Capping your fps using MSI AB is more useful because for one, you can cap your fps to anything you wish. Most games only let G-Sync cap your frames at certain intervals. 

6 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

I have the Dell 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor and I rarely use G-Sync. Capping your fps using MSI AB is more useful because for one, you can cap your fps to anything you wish. Most games only let G-Sync cap your frames at certain intervals. 

My main FPS cap at this point is my graphics card since I tend to run settings maxed.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

7 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

My main FPS cap at this point is my graphics card since I tend to run settings maxed.

Not sure what you mean here.

3 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

Not sure what you mean here.

Sorry, what I mean is there is little point in capping my fps to 144 since I run below 144fps anyway.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

40 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

Sorry, what I mean is there is little point in capping my fps to 144 since I run below 144fps anyway.

My point exactly. You can cap it to ANY fps using MSI Afterburner. Thus, no need for G-Sync.

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Good price, great display for competitive play. Although for slower paced and more scenic games you really want an IPS/VA panel. Because TN panels by design have terrible contrast in dark scenes. On top of poor viewing angles making them pretty bad for sitting back and watching movies.

Yup, I have one monitor for gaming, and the other for movies. I am using a 27" IPS 60Hz 2560x1440 next to it. I would have gone 4k but at the time, none were on sale. 

Both this unit and it's smaller brethren (s2417dg) are excellent monitors at this price point. Just grabbed the 27'' one yesterday, while one of our PCs has been using the 24'' unit since last year.

Be aware, however, that both of these units do have moderate to severe color banding issues, as described in multiple Reddit, Nvidia forums, and other threads. If that doesn't bother you, go ahead and buy it as you will not find a better gaming (gsync, 144hz, 2160p) monitor at this price point.

5 hours ago, jkb said:

Both this unit and it's smaller brethren (s2417dg) are excellent monitors at this price point. Just grabbed the 27'' one yesterday, while one of our PCs has been using the 24'' unit since last year.

Be aware, however, that both of these units do have moderate to severe color banding issues, as described in multiple Reddit, Nvidia forums, and other threads. If that doesn't bother you, go ahead and buy it as you will not find a better gaming (gsync, 144hz, 2160p) monitor at this price point.

I'm tolerating any issues I may have by using my IPS monitors along with my TN one. I did notice the banding once in Destiny 2 though.

PC Specs:

Freenas specs:

This is almost as cheap as I got my PG278Q for, and it was used. Definitely a steal, especially with g-sync

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.