GPU for 1440p

ExoMarshall

i will be looking for a new card, with black friday coming up. 
My GPU was for a long time, a r9 390 nitro+ from sapphire. Now its gone and i'll need a new one. The problem is that i am living at my own place now and power consumption is a problem. I have a LG 32 inch 1440p monitor and my 390 actually did a great job. I just needed to lower some settings here and there and it would often get a 60 ish fps. Sometimes like in Rise of the tomb raider i would need to lower Res to 1080p but still, it did a great job.
 I'm looking at:
RX Vega 56 nitro+ (Sapphire also), but i dont know how the PowerConsumption is when undervolted. and how it fares with lower power.
RX 580 nitro+ (again, i just love sapphire) 

Its also worthy to note the Nvidea branch, although i hate the way they run things. a 1070 uses WAY less power than a vega 56. My monitor has freesync so i would like something AMD

Thx for the help in advance

RX580 since you got a Freesync monitor.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Vega56 is what id go for

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The new RX 590 might be what you want. It's a really mature, refined version of Polaris so the efficiency is pretty high. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

RX580 since you got a Freesync monitor.

But how does it fare with 3440x1440p? can it run games at high?

Just now, fasauceome said:

The new RX 590 might be what you want. It's a really nature, refined version of Polaris so the efficiency is pretty high. 

Yeah i looked at it, but every review says it has a monster high Power draw. which i would like to avoid

Just now, ExoMarshall said:

But how does it fare with 3440x1440p? can it run games at high?

Ah 3440x1440, I thought 2560x1440. Well, RX580 is basically RX480 but little better optimized and better but for that resolution, you might get problems with high settings on that resolution.

And yes, the Dutch hardware reviewers also said the RX590 is a monster power draw too.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

depends on what games but probably not

Games like GTA V, Assasins creed Oddesey and the future coming Metro exodus

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Ah 3440x1440, I thought 2560x1440. Well, RX580 is basically RX480 but little better optimized and better but for that resolution, you might get problems with high settings on that resolution.

And yes, the Dutch hardware reviewers also said the RX590 is a monster power draw too.

But i dont get why my former 390 ran games THAT great, i mean, it had some problems with certain games, but i could get 60fps on GTA with settings on high and some on ultra.(things like Grass details and such was lowered, There's a great guide for tweaking the game)
How come a 580 wont be doing much better than a 390?

Just now, mikat said:

Not happening, you'd need a vega 56 or 64

Okay, thats what i am leaning too also. Do any of you know how much power it uses when undervolted and such?

4 minutes ago, ExoMarshall said:

But i dont get why my former 390 ran games THAT great, i mean, it had some problems with certain games, but i could get 60fps on GTA with settings on high and some on ultra.(things like Grass details and such was lowered, There's a great guide for tweaking the game)
How come a 580 wont be doing much better than a 390?

Don't get fooled by the numbers of the GPU's. The R9 390 was an old generation from the Hawaii like the R290(X). The RX580 is a newer generation, namely Polaris. And the R9 390 is basically the better version of R9 290.

DAC/AMPs:

6 minutes ago, ExoMarshall said:

Okay, thats what i am leaning too also. Do any of you know how much power it uses when undervolted and such?

undervolting works just like the overclocking part of the silicon lottery: nothing is guaranteed so we don't really know

Just now, mikat said:

undervolting works just like the overclocking part of the silicon lottery: nothing is guaranteed so we don't really know

But how much is the general %, is it like 10% lower Powerconsumption  or More/less?

2 minutes ago, ExoMarshall said:

But how much is the general %, is it like 10% lower Powerconsumption  or More/less?

I really wouldn't count on anything more than 10%, and what is the reason for wanting less power consumption? at most you'd be saving 30 watts (probably not)

Power consumption can be problematic. We now pay €25 more each month since 3 months.

So if you are really worried about power consumption, then 1070 is a better choice.

DAC/AMPs:

1 minute ago, mikat said:

I really wouldn't count on anything more than 10%, and what is the reason for wanting less power consumption? at most you'd be saving 30 watts (probably not)

I would rather get a 56 and undervolt it, and then OC it if i would need it one day, than have a 580 which would be trying to follow at peak performance. The 580 and 56 is also "roughly" 30-40 watts apart anyway https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_Vega_56/29.html

1 hour ago, ExoMarshall said:

i will be looking for a new card, with black friday coming up. 
My GPU was for a long time, a r9 390 nitro+ from sapphire. Now its gone and i'll need a new one. The problem is that i am living at my own place now and power consumption is a problem. I have a LG 32 inch 1440p monitor and my 390 actually did a great job. I just needed to lower some settings here and there and it would often get a 60 ish fps. Sometimes like in Rise of the tomb raider i would need to lower Res to 1080p but still, it did a great job.
 I'm looking at:
RX Vega 56 nitro+ (Sapphire also), but i dont know how the PowerConsumption is when undervolted. and how it fares with lower power.
RX 580 nitro+ (again, i just love sapphire) 

Its also worthy to note the Nvidea branch, although i hate the way they run things. a 1070 uses WAY less power than a vega 56. My monitor has freesync so i would like something AMD

Thx for the help in advance

I just got a Sapphire NItro+ Vega 56 about a month ago, it's incredible.  I also just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it doesn't even blink playing it at highest settings.  Here's the rub though, I see them being sold for like $640 - $750 or so.  I found mine on sale for $500.  At $500, you could get the ASUS Strix Vega 56, and get very very similar performance.  I saw a few youtube videos that were just Vega 56 model comparisons, and the ASUS and Nitro were consistently ahead of other models by a good margin  Heres' the video: 

If you find a good deal on the Nitro, certainly go for it.  I've got mine undervolted, and overclocked and it's running fantastically. But, if you're impatient like me, then go for the ASUS. If you don't want the dumb game bundle, you can get an Open Box ASUS for $450 right now. Or the fresh one for $500.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126233R&Description=asus vega 56&cm_re=asus_vega_56-_-14-126-233R-_-Product

1 hour ago, ExoMarshall said:

If it helps, mine is undervolted down to 1100ma.  I forget what it's stock voltage is though. 1200ish if I remember right. 

11 hours ago, pstarlord said:

I just got a Sapphire NItro+ Vega 56 about a month ago, it's incredible.  I also just bought Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it doesn't even blink playing it at highest settings.  Here's the rub though, I see them being sold for like $640 - $750 or so.  I found mine on sale for $500.  At $500, you could get the ASUS Strix Vega 56, and get very very similar performance.  I saw a few youtube videos that were just Vega 56 model comparisons, and the ASUS and Nitro were consistently ahead of other models by a good margin  Heres' the video: 

If you find a good deal on the Nitro, certainly go for it.  I've got mine undervolted, and overclocked and it's running fantastically. But, if you're impatient like me, then go for the ASUS. If you don't want the dumb game bundle, you can get an Open Box ASUS for $450 right now. Or the fresh one for $500.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126233R&Description=asus vega 56&cm_re=asus_vega_56-_-14-126-233R-_-Product

I got an ASUS Radeon RX Vega 56 ROG Strix OC last night for 430 dollars. It had a 40% discount in my country and the Nitro+ didnt so it was a nobrainer. Thanks for the help. 

19 minutes ago, ExoMarshall said:

I got an ASUS Radeon RX Vega 56 ROG Strix OC last night for 430 dollars. It had a 40% discount in my country and the Nitro+ didnt so it was a nobrainer. Thanks for the help. 

Oh awesome!  That's a great deal!!!  Happy for you!!