First DSLR

Used lenses are fine as long as they are in good shape.

Is there a way to use a usb mic with the 3.5mm jack on the t3i? 

Is there a way to use a usb mic with the 3.5mm jack on the t3i?

Umm no that doesnt even logically make sense. U can use something like the rhode vodeomic though.

Umm no that doesnt even logically make sense. U can use something like the rhode vodeomic though.

Do you know af a decent mic that is less than %50 ~ $75 for the camera?

Do you know af a decent mic that is less than %50 ~ $75 for the camera?

you found a t3i for 75$???

you found a t3i for 75$???

No, I am looking for a mic in that price range. One that has a 3.5mm jack for the camera.

In that case I will go for the t3i. I have held the t3 and it is nice. For $50 ~ $100 what lens would be good to add?

They should have a similar feel though the t3i will be heavier.

Used lenses are fine, as long as they're in good condition. Free from scratches, etc. You should look for someone selling the kit lens, it should be quite cheap.

As for the lenses you can use, check which mount system your camera uses. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head (it's late).

Once you decide on your camera, it's best to do a LOT of reading online. You'll find all the information you need. Always read a few different reviews on lenses and such as opinions vary.

The Rode mic's are nice but probably overkill for what you are going to use it for. For comparison one of my friends uses one but he's semi-pro, and it's on his 5D with a $3,500 lens. There's probably a cheaper option, but I don't know what it is.

For my use I sold my DSLR's as they were overkill.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Used lenses are fine, as long as they're in good condition. Free from scratches, etc. You should look for someone selling the kit lens, it should be quite cheap.

As for the lenses you can use, check which mount system your camera uses. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head (it's late).

Once you decide on your camera, it's best to do a LOT of reading online. You'll find all the information you need. Always read a few different reviews on lenses and such as opinions vary.

The Rode mic's are nice but probably overkill for what you are going to use it for. For comparison one of my friends uses one but he's semi-pro, and it's on his 5D with a $3,500 lens. There's probably a cheaper option, but I don't know what it is.

Any other recommendations?

Any other recommendations?

If you're taking it around with you also invest in a neck strap. There was a series of starter videos that I found useful when I first started out, if I can find them I'll upload them to a torrent or something for you.

As with any hobby, it takes time before you become truly good at it. Practice a lot. It's also a good excuse to get girls to hang out with you. Most love getting their picture taken! ;)

On a side note, if you don't already, get familiar with PhotoShop or a photo editing program. While it's great to be decent with a camera, if you're doing portraits and stuff you'll spend many hours in front of the screen editing.

The friend I mentioned before could spend in excess of 5 hours editing a single picture.

Most importantly...have a blast with your new toy.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Here is what I have so far. Anything else I should add?

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens     $469.99

Ravelli APLT4 61-inch Light Weight Aluminum Tripod With Bag    $22.69

Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Canon LP-E8 and Canon EOS 550D, EOS 600D, EOS Rebel T2i, EOS Rebel T3i, EOS Rebel T4i, EOS Rebel T5i     $20.99

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-016G-AFFP     $19.15

If you're taking it around with you also invest in a neck strap. There was a series of starter videos that I found useful when I first started out, if I can find them I'll upload them to a torrent or something for you.

As with any hobby, it takes time before you become truly good at it. Practice a lot. It's also a good excuse to get girls to hang out with you. Most love getting their picture taken! ;)

On a side note, if you don't already, get familiar with PhotoShop or a photo editing program. While it's great to be decent with a camera, if you're doing portraits and stuff you'll spend many hours in front of the screen editing.

The friend I mentioned before could spend in excess of 5 hours editing a single picture.

Most importantly...have a blast with your new toy.

I have been photo and video editing for over a year and a half now. I have Photoshop and premiere pro cc as well as sony vegas and davinci resolve.

Yeah that should all be fine. I generally prefer OEM batteries, but there haven't been any notable complaints about that brand.

Don't expect too much from the tripod. If you're going with a cheaper one I'd almost look for something made of a heavier material. If you find you use it constantly, definitely save up for something $250+. They feel much, much nicer.

Grab a filter for the camera. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Protection-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-MicroFiber-Cleaning/dp/B005DL9BM4

Not necessary but for $14 I like having the peace of mind.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Yeah that should all be fine. I generally prefer OEM batteries, but there haven't been any notable complaints about that brand.

Don't expect too much from the tripod. If you're going with a cheaper one I'd almost look for something made of a heavier material. If you find you use it constantly, definitely save up for something $250+. They feel much, much nicer.

Grab a filter for the camera. Something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Protection-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-MicroFiber-Cleaning/dp/B005DL9BM4

Thanks for your help

I will add that filter. Is there anything else I should get. Is there a lens for $50 or anything else I might need?

I will add that filter. Is there anything else I should get. Is there a lens for $50 or anything else I might need?

Not a new one, you'd have to try and find one in your area on Craigslist or something.

You should be able to find kit lenses for around $100 for the zoom.

If you're going new I think they start at around $200 - $250.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Not a new one, you'd have to try and find one in your area on Craigslist or something.

You should be able to find kit lenses for around $100 for the zoom.

If you're going new I think they start at around $200 - $250.

Alright, Is there anything else that would be useful for $50?

Alright, Is there anything else that would be useful for $50?

Try not to spend all your money on cheap accessories, save it for lenses. The lenses are really what produce good photos, most modern bodies are capable of pretty much anything.

Although something that will help produce good photos is lighting, especially flash. The one in your original kit looks terrible, but there are other cheap options available.

There is Yongnuo, a sort of chinese knockoff of the Canon flashes that are actually really good, in fact I use them a lot more than my 580 ex's on location outdoors because they have a tendency to get knocked or get blown over. In the US I think there are also a few other cheap 3rd party flash units available forget the names though.

Anyways combine that with a lighting stand, some wireless triggers or even a TTL cord and a modifier (an umbrella is probably cheapest to start with) and you will be able to pull of some really stunning shots. A good flash set up can really elevate even the kit lens and give you some really good looking shots.

I think most people would suggest you go for the 50mm lens next considering what you are doing. If you can skip the 1.8 and go straight for the 1.4, its built so much better and IQ is greatly improved, the difference is huge especially in useability.

The only other gripe I have is the tripod, you will find it frustrating for video, when you get the opportunity you will probably want to upgrade this, but for $20 is well worth getting now if thats all you can afford at the moment.

Try not to spend all your money on cheap accessories, save it for lenses. The lenses are really what produce good photos, most modern bodies are capable of pretty much anything.

Although something that will help produce good photos is lighting, especially flash. The one in your original kit looks terrible, but there are other cheap options available.

There is Yongnuo, a sort of chinese knockoff of the Canon flashes that are actually really good, in fact I use them a lot more than my 580 ex's on location outdoors because they have a tendency to get knocked or get blown over. In the US I think there are also a few other cheap 3rd party flash units available forget the names though.

Anyways combine that with a lighting stand, some wireless triggers or even a TTL cord and a modifier (an umbrella is probably cheapest to start with) and you will be able to pull of some really stunning shots. A good flash set up can really elevate even the kit lens and give you some really good looking shots.

I think most people would suggest you go for the 50mm lens next considering what you are doing. If you can skip the 1.8 and go straight for the 1.4, its built so much better and IQ is greatly improved, the difference is huge especially in useability.

The only other gripe I have is the tripod, you will find it frustrating for video, when you get the opportunity you will probably want to upgrade this, but for $20 is well worth getting now if thats all you can afford at the moment.

Thanks for all your help.

I am looking at the Cannon rebel t3 and found this kit. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-18-55mm-75-300mm-Battery/dp/B00F36HL8U/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1388797449&sr=8-11&keywords=Canon+EOS+REBEL+T3

I have a few questions

Is this a good camera?

Is this a good kit?

Do I need anything else?

Is there a better Camera kit for this price?

I am looking for kits that come with things like lenses and batteries.

My max budget is $600, $500 if possible plus shipping, my zipcode is 80033.

imagine if you zip is 80085

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I have the 40mm pancake and quite like it. My suggestion for lenses is go full frame right away. Additional lens i want are a wider angle maybe 28mm, a macro lens, and a zoom for video. A telephoto might be useful depending on what you plan on shooting. I just borrow on from my father for now since he has L lens he got used pretty cheap :P.

As for mic the Rhode video mic's ware what i would suggest as their quite nice and even stuff just below them isnt comparable. i think monoprice.com may have a knockoff of them.

Hello everyone..! Looks like a good thread. To your query 'bout cheap-lens (for canon): Once in a while *someone* screws up and makes a lens which as far as the glass goes performs freakish well and "well" isn't qualified here.

The cheap comes in the plastic housing and non-usm. USM=Canons' proprietary name for the motor/mechanism used in their higher end lenses (ultra sonic motor I think).

The lens is the 50mm 1.8 MKII, often referred to as the "nifty fifty" or "thrifty fifty". It's a prime lens (sorry if old news) meaning that it's focal length is fixed i.e. Not a zoom, if ya wanna zoom, gotta walk closer to the subject.

I got one for 100$ new. Just don't drop it! You'll find a whole chunk of the photo-crowd who loathe to use zooms- less relevant the past 5ish provided one doesn't mind lugging around a 3000$ mega heavy piece of "never drop".

I apologize if my, em ideas are out of order on a phone.

The number after the focal length "50mm" "75-300mm" is the aperture, important. The aperture is how much light the lens can "gather" (electrons) and reach the sensor- a small chunk of real estate with a crap load of photo sensitive pixels. The color currently is a hodge podge of primary colors physically placed somehow on the sensor algos and some crazy.

The lower thaf # is, the more light the lens can gather meaning less reliance on flash or no flash, WAY better then zooms for low light photo, the thing known as "Bokeh"...and the ability to capture moving subjects minus the blur zooms have, ESP. In low light. The unit of measure for aperture is in "F-STOPS". Kinda dumb but the LOWER the aperture is the more open the the lens-eyeball is. Oh yeah duh. When a cat is in a darker room with big pupils, Mr. Boots eyes would be at a low (numerically) aperture. In the sun, kitty eyeballs, er pupils are tiny. Small pupils would be a "small aperture" BUT the unit of measure (them stops) would be higher numerically.

Crap, I was about to get on depth of field, sharpness, fall off and apertur. Must stop!

Thing to make you go..."huh?"

Canon currently makes 3 50mm Primes. Put 'em all on the same camera and boom! same picture, as in- if you were standing in the same spot and took a pic of building X with the three lenses, building X would be the same distance/size etc. in all three jpgs/raw files...BUT!

50mm 1.8 MKII 85-130$

50mm 1.4 350-400$

50mm 1.2 a few grand

(Special)

50mm 1.0 a car- some "mint" versions, many cars

(50mm 1.0 which I've only read about was as the story goes a "just to show we can do it" lens)

The 1.2 has the "L" designation- Canons' "top". It's good for astro-photography. Over kills

Anyway- to get a lens which takes pics as well as the cheap 50mm 1.8, you'd have to spend 400+ EZ.

The canon NON L 85mm and 100mm are 500-600ish, but they shoot as well as any 3000$ lens.

ugh. I forgot to mention lens/crop factor.

need a hand rest!

a 50mm on a tXi OR Nikon 3/5 series will be (as in have the same "view" as an 85mm on a full-frame

the point- I really think the 50 1.8 MKII is a must get for any canon SLR owner. It's super light (carrying around tons of crap for a day sucks)

Hello everyone..! Looks like a good thread. To your query 'bout cheap-lens (for canon): Once in a while *someone* screws up and makes a lens which as far as the glass goes performs freakish well and "well" isn't qualified here.The cheap comes in the plastic housing and non-usm. USM=Canons' proprietary name for the motor/mechanism used in their higher end lenses (ultra sonic motor I think). The lens is the 50mm 1.8 MKII, often referred to as the "nifty fifty" or "thrifty fifty". It's a prime lens (sorry if old news) meaning that it's focal length is fixed i.e. Not a zoom, if ya wanna zoom, gotta walk closer to the subject. I got one for 100$ new. Just don't drop it! You'll find a whole chunk of the photo-crowd who loathe to use zooms- less relevant the past 5ish provided one doesn't mind lugging around a 3000$ mega heavy piece of "never drop". I apologize if my, em ideas are out of order on a phone. The number after the focal length "50mm" "75-300mm" is the aperture, important. The aperture is how much light the lens can "gather" (electrons) and reach the sensor- a small chunk of real estate with a crap load of photo sensitive pixels. The color currently is a hodge podge of primary colors physically placed somehow on the sensor algos and some crazy.The lower thaf # is, the more light the lens can gather meaning less reliance on flash or no flash, WAY better then zooms for low light photo, the thing known as "Bokeh"...and the ability to capture moving subjects minus the blur zooms have, ESP. In low light. The unit of measure for aperture is in "F-STOPS". Kinda dumb but the LOWER the aperture is the more open the the lens-eyeball is. Oh yeah duh. When a cat is in a darker room with big pupils, Mr. Boots eyes would be at a low (numerically) aperture. In the sun, kitty eyeballs, er pupils are tiny. Small pupils would be a "small aperture" BUT the unit of measure (them stops) would be higher numerically. Crap, I was about to get on depth of field, sharpness, fall off and apertur. Must stop!Thing to make you go..."huh?"Canon currently makes 3 50mm Primes. Put 'em all on the same camera and boom! same picture, as in- if you were standing in the same spot and took a pic of building X with the three lenses, building X would be the same distance/size etc. in all three jpgs/raw files...BUT!50mm 1.8 MKII 85-130$50mm 1.4 350-400$50mm 1.2 a few grand(Special)50mm 1.0 a car- some "mint" versions, many cars(50mm 1.0 which I've only read about was as the story goes a "just to show we can do it" lens)The 1.2 has the "L" designation- Canons' "top". It's good for astro-photography. Over killsAnyway- to get a lens which takes pics as well as the cheap 50mm 1.8, you'd have to spend 400+ EZ. The canon NON L 85mm and 100mm are 500-600ish, but they shoot as well as any 3000$ lens.ugh. I forgot to mention lens/crop factor.need a hand rest!a 50mm on a tXi OR Nikon 3/5 series will be (as in have the same "view" as an 85mm on a full-framethe point- I really think the 50 1.8 MKII is a must get for any canon SLR owner. It's super light (carrying around tons of crap for a day sucks)

Thanks for the info. Once your hands rest pleas go much more in depth on anything and everything dslr related. This is my first time with anything better than a 5 year old bottom of the line point and shoot. I welcome any help and any suggestions as well as Any information, tips, tricks, and guide on the best uses of a dslr. I am going to sleep now so I can't reply for a while but please keep the info coming.

I personally have a T3i and although it's not the greatest camera, it's probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to video and photo.  If you want to get more control with video in the T3i you should really check out the Magic Lantern firmware hack. I have been using it for about a year on my camera and haven't had any issues.

I bought Nikon D5100 just before christmas. I am very happy with it. I didn't know much about DSLR's, but I've learned that whatever brand you buy, you are likely to stick with that brand for a long time. Camera bodies are refreshed every other month but lenses are much more long term deal.

I was choosing between the Canon T3i (600D) and the Nikon D5100. Both are exellent entry level cameras. However there are some slight differences. Canon has better overall video quality and Nikon has slightly better low light performance. Basically Nikon takes better pictures but only slightly. DigitalRev TV has really good comparison between the two.

Whatever brand or camera body you go, it's always more important, what lens you use. Cheaper DSLR's with kit lenses are good enough for general use in good lighting but if you want to improve your overall quality, especially in the low light environment, you need a better lens. If you only want to use a singular lens, then it should be something like 35mm f 1.8. It's not expensive but it's a good lens for most use cases.

It's always better to go for a good lens and a cheap camera body than vice versa. Even the best camera body with a cheap lens doesn't take as good pictures as a cheap camera body with a good lens.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

I bought Nikon D5100 just before christmas. I am very happy with it. I didn't know much about DSLR's, but I've learned that whatever brand you buy, you are likely to stick with that brand for a long time. Camera bodies are refreshed every other month but lenses are much more long term deal.

I was choosing between the Canon T3i (600D) and the Nikon D5100. Both are exellent entry level cameras. However there are some slight differences. Canon has better overall video quality and Nikon has slightly better low light performance. Basically Nikon takes better pictures but only slightly. DigitalRev TV has really good comparison between the two.

Whatever brand or camera body you go, it's always more important, what lens you use. Cheaper DSLR's with kit lenses are good enough for general use in good lighting but if you want to improve your overall quality, especially in the low light environment, you need a better lens. If you only want to use a singular lens, then it should be something like 35mm f 1.8. It's not expensive but it's a good lens for most use cases.

It's always better to go for a good lens and a cheap camera body than vice versa. Even the best camera body doesn't take as good pictures as a cheap camera body with a good lens.

Thanks for the input. I have a $70 or so budget and want a good lens or 2, do you know of any good but low price lenses?